• Jun 16th, 2011 9:59 am
Tags:
None
Jan 18, 2011
220 posts
17 upvotes
Ontario

Coworker not doing their job

I will do my best to describe the situation, but of course, I don't want to get too specific.

As part of my job, I have to make some calculations and input them into the computer system. As a part of my coworker's job, he is to then take my numbers and make a couple of adjustments which increases the accuracy. 99% of the time, my coworker is not doing it or does it very late, which has no positive effect on the accuracy of the numbers. The accuracy is reflected on my performance targets, but not his...so it's easy to see why he has no motivation to do it, althought it is still part of his job responsibilities. A former coworker had the same issues with this person.

I've spoken to him about it in a very non-confrontational way and send him reminders to do them every couple days, but it generally leads to "oh..yeah i'll do them this afternoon". I know the most obvious solution is to talk to my manager, but I'm hesitant to do so because I'm still new to the job (only been there a couple months). And as such, I still have a lot of questions about things... and this coworker has always been very open to answering these questions and providing me ongoing training. I don't want to that to be affected because there is still a lot for me to learn and I don't want to get him in any trouble when he has been helpful in other areas. On the other hand, although i'm not at risk of being fired or anything, I don't like having performance numbers that are lower than they should be.
16 replies
Aug 26, 2006
587 posts
323 upvotes
Montreal Area
goldenboy84 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2011 9:49 pm
and this coworker has always been very open to answering these questions and providing me ongoing training.

Then asked him how he will increase the accuracy to 0.99% and remove him from the equation making him redundant. no need to share credit in future meetings.
Aug 26, 2006
587 posts
323 upvotes
Montreal Area
opps. i mean increase accuracy... ignore the 0.99% lol
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
183 upvotes
I'm more of a team-work type of person. How long does it take to make those adjustments? If it doesn't take too long, I might be able complete his calculations and send it to the lazy coworker to check it out. Just tell him that you want to learn and ask him to see if it is correct. It's good to ask questions while you are on probation.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1578 posts
72 upvotes
When you send your coworker the friendly reminder, make sure you CC your manager so that he knows you've done your part and are waiting on your coworker to hold up his end.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2726 posts
163 upvotes
Starkicker wrote:
Jun 14th, 2011 12:07 pm
When you send your coworker the friendly reminder, make sure you CC your manager so that he knows you've done your part and are waiting on your coworker to hold up his end.

CCing your manager only works if your manager is actually going to do something or even read the emails :)
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1129 posts
93 upvotes
Why don't you improve your own accuracy then?

Or, you can tell your manager to move the improved accuracy to his score card rather than yours.

You can't make someone do something they don't want to do.
[OP]
Jan 18, 2011
220 posts
17 upvotes
Ontario
world25 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2011 10:45 pm
I'm more of a team-work type of person. How long does it take to make those adjustments?
It varies in time. It may take as little as an extra 30mins/day to 3 hours depending on how many there are to do. And this would be daily. Frankly, my days are jam packed now anyway while he comes in after me and leaves before me.

bruizeman wrote:
Jun 14th, 2011 2:00 pm
Why don't you improve your own accuracy then?

Or, you can tell your manager to move the improved accuracy to his score card rather than yours.

You can't make someone do something they don't want to do.

In terms of changing the accuracy to his score card -- this involves telling my manager what is happening; and that is one thing that i'm trying to avoid... for now anyway (maybe in a couple weeks/months when I am more comfortable with the job).

It definetly looks like i'm gonna have to start doing it myself. I'm thinking making him an offer that i'll do part of it (cause it is multi-step) and hope that he might clue in that it is very important, and then start doing his job. At least this way, it's partly getting done. Just sucks that I have to do extra work because someone else decides to do less... but when I put it that way, that sounds like a pretty common thing eh.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
6911 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Dont do it, that's all I can suggest.

You have said you are somewhat still new, are you sure 100% that you know what you are talking about? I just started (finally) a better position at my place of employment and will actually be challenging (and finally I'm air conditioning which is scarce in a warehouse/logistics setting) compared to my old position. So if someone was slacking and I knew it 100% Id let management deal with it, don't do someone's job that your not supposed to do either, especially if your not trained for it as you could be terminated for it

I wouldn't say anything, if the coworker was doing something wrong for lOng enough then hed be in ****
[OP]
Jan 18, 2011
220 posts
17 upvotes
Ontario
XtremeModder wrote:
Jun 15th, 2011 9:17 pm
Dont do it, that's all I can suggest.

You have said you are somewhat still new, are you sure 100% that you know what you are talking about? I just started (finally) a better position at my place of employment and will actually be challenging (and finally I'm air conditioning which is scarce in a warehouse/logistics setting) compared to my old position.

I wouldn't say anything, if the coworker was doing something wrong for lOng enough then hed be in ****

Don't do what?

I'm 100% sure they are not doing this particular task; the software timestamps everything.
Jun 2, 2011
68 posts
3 upvotes
goldenboy84 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2011 9:51 pm
Don't do what?

I'm 100% sure they are not doing this particular task; the software timestamps everything.

Does it timestamp every time we browse on red flag deals at work? If so, were in ****.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
12564 posts
896 upvotes
Toronto
Suggest a process improvement that takes him out of the equation.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
6911 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
I know at my work the computers time stamp the terminal number, our names and basically everything we do

All im saying is dont get ahead of yourself thinking you can do the other stuff, even if you can, the other employee might make up a bunch of crap and the next thing you know your out the door for a stupid reason.

This is just what I think but do what you must.

If this employee isn't doing something he's supposed to do them the employer/management either do not care or they will notice and come down on that person hard.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
12856 posts
1103 upvotes
BCC your manager every time you send him a reminder e-mail. Eventually your manager will get the drift.
Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
× < >