• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 10:51 am
[OP]
Feb 18, 2008
13 posts
Toronto

CPA Professional Development Courses

Hi all

Wanted to start this thread for CPAs to share how they are getting their PD hours in in true RFD fashion.
This is more geared towards CPAs who are not reimbursed fully, or just partially, for any PD they take.

I have been doing some of the free webinars off CPA Canada for the past few months, but now I need to get in a large chunk of hours.
Has anyone tried CPDFormula? They offer 20 hours of ondemand courses for "promotional" price of $500.

Thanks
14 replies
Feb 19, 2017
332 posts
141 upvotes
alcapowned wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 4:00 pm
Hi all

Wanted to start this thread for CPAs to share how they are getting their PD hours in in true RFD fashion.
This is more geared towards CPAs who are not reimbursed fully, or just partially, for any PD they take.

I have been doing some of the free webinars off CPA Canada for the past few months, but now I need to get in a large chunk of hours.
Has anyone tried CPDFormula? They offer 20 hours of ondemand courses for "promotional" price of $500.

Thanks
Are you serious?
There are literally free webinars all over the web...way more than enough to fulfill any requirement.

E.g.
https://cccure.training/m/articles/view ... EU-s-PDU-s
https://www.pwc.com/us/en/services/prof ... casts.html
http://www.kpmg-institutes.com/events/w ... -page.html
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2154 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
CPA Canada has a bunch of free webinar.
I do the half day one with CIMA & AICPA.

Robert Half and Linnecks do 3 free webiner a year.
CPA Ontario has a few that are free.

OP, fees are for April to March. CPD requirement are from Jan to Dec.
If you didn't do enough for 2017 by Jan 2018, you are SOL.
Nov 20, 2008
308 posts
73 upvotes
Halifax, N.S.
Walch1102 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 5:35 pm
Are you serious?
There are literally free webinars all over the web...way more than enough to fulfill any requirement.

E.g.
https://cccure.training/m/articles/view ... EU-s-PDU-s
https://www.pwc.com/us/en/services/prof ... casts.html
http://www.kpmg-institutes.com/events/w ... -page.html
Thank you!

These USA specific links work out ok for our Canadian PD requirements too right?
I guess as long as the local CPA association doesn't come back to question on these verifiable hours, should be all ok...
Feb 8, 2017
399 posts
169 upvotes
there are enough free 1 hour webinars that you can easily get the 20 hours you need without spending a dime.
Feb 19, 2017
332 posts
141 upvotes
ScarySkulls wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 9:49 pm
Thank you!

These USA specific links work out ok for our Canadian PD requirements too right?
I guess as long as the local CPA association doesn't come back to question on these verifiable hours, should be all ok...
It's fine. It's not like there's regulations around what is CPD or not. As long as it's in some way verifiable and it provides relevant skills for your job.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1083 posts
428 upvotes
dont forget to read CPA magazines for unverifiable 1 hour credits each month
Feb 8, 2017
399 posts
169 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 10:14 am
It's fine. It's not like there's regulations around what is CPD or not. As long as it's in some way verifiable and it provides relevant skills for your job.
just be careful. one year i had a 2 day course run out of my workplace of training on an internal i/t system. there was no certificate issued. wouldn't you know it that was the year i was audited so had to get a letter from my boss verifying the course and a detailed description of what the course covered. CPA accepted this but it was a pain in the rear. so if you do anything out of the country and/or don't get some kind of verification/confirmation and some details about what the course is about you could get hassled if you get audited by CPA.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2154 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
Walch1102 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 10:14 am
The CPA does have rules on what is a CPD and not.
Feb 19, 2017
332 posts
141 upvotes
raichu1 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 7:19 pm
The CPA does have rules on what is a CPD and not.
Why are you repeating what I said?

verbatim from my post: "As long as it's in some way verifiable and it provides relevant skills for your job."

From CPA Ontario:
To be recognized toward your CPD requirements, the activity must:

be quantifiable, meaning that it must be specifically identifiable and be able to be expressed in terms of a specific time requirement;
be directly related to the competencies needed to carry on the member’s employment or practice;
be relevant to the member’s current professional needs and/or long-term career interests; and
contain significant intellectual or practical content.
Feb 19, 2017
332 posts
141 upvotes
aubgray1 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 12:05 pm
just be careful. one year i had a 2 day course run out of my workplace of training on an internal i/t system. there was no certificate issued. wouldn't you know it that was the year i was audited so had to get a letter from my boss verifying the course and a detailed description of what the course covered. CPA accepted this but it was a pain in the rear. so if you do anything out of the country and/or don't get some kind of verification/confirmation and some details about what the course is about you could get hassled if you get audited by CPA.
Isn't that just common sense? That you need some document?
Feb 8, 2017
399 posts
169 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 3:00 pm
Isn't that just common sense? That you need some document?
that's my point. i hadn't been audited in 15 years and got lazy.
Dec 13, 2008
108 posts
26 upvotes
Sorry to bring this thread up from the past, but I have a question related to webinars.

Do we have to watch these webinars live to get the CPD hours or is it sufficient just to watch?

Per the MB cpa website: "Verifiable CPD refers to qualifying learning activities that can be verified objectively.

Verifiable CPD documentation should:

Describe the learning activity;
Identify the provider of the activity, if applicable;
Connect the member to the activity;
Identify when the activity took place; and
Provide a basis for concluding that the number of reported hours is reasonable.
"

I feel that webinars should, I just wanted to confirm with someone else.
I'm just here for the deals....
Jul 19, 2010
426 posts
95 upvotes
Calgary
You have to pass the test to get the CPD hour.