Careers

CPA Transcript Evaluation Issues

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2016 6:34 pm
May 23, 2008
31 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I called in again last week and they said my evaluation has gone through the preliminary stage and has been sent to the Bloor office (where the evaluations are finalized).

If you get no info from calling into the Bloor office, try calling the York(?) office because that's where the transcripts are sent to first.
May 23, 2008
31 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
yea you would think :( . Can't imagine it to cost very much..
Nov 18, 2014
4 posts
Toronto, ON
Just wondering why they divide the operations into two separate parts - Bloor office and York office. And from the correspondence it seems like they never contact each other in an easy way.
Nov 25, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
On behalf of CPA Ontario, I’d like to acknowledge our awareness of this issue and our commitment to implementing processes that will allow for a more timely evaluation of transcripts. We thank you for your understanding. CPA Ontario’s assessment team is working diligently to process all transcripts, with a focus on those students wanting to enrol early in 2015. We ask for your patience as CPA Ontario continues to integrate and refine its processes and procedures as a result of unification of the accounting profession in Ontario.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2010
1755 posts
258 upvotes
Ontario
fly23382338 wrote: Just wondering why they divide the operations into two separate parts - Bloor office and York office. And from the correspondence it seems like they never contact each other in an easy way.
Before the merger, the Bloor office used to be the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario while the York office used to be CMA Ontario.
Sep 8, 2005
58 posts
4 upvotes
You're not alone OP!! It took them 4+ months to recognize my credits and grant overrides to several PREP courses. As a result I'm late to starting the program (starting module 5 in January).
Sep 2, 2014
38 posts
5 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
After seeing this thread today, I am starting to get worried. The sign up deadline for module 5 is Jan 7 and I only submitted my transcript early October. If it takes another month I probably won't be able to sign up... Should i email them regularly? Last time they just gave me a one liner saying my evaluation is under progress...
Nov 25, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Update on Transcript Assessments:
CPA Ontario is aware of the current transcript assessment processing times and our committed to implementing processes that will allow for a more timely evaluation of transcripts. We thank you for your understanding. CPA Ontario’s assessment team is working diligently to process all transcripts with a focus on those students wanting to enroll in the CPA Professional Education Program in 2015. We ask for your continued patience as CPA Ontario continues to integrate and refine its processes and procedures as a result of unification of the accounting profession in Ontario.

Transcripts received by CPA Ontario | [INDENT][/INDENT] Transcript evaluation report returned to you by:
Before November 1, 2014 | [INDENT][/INDENT]December 22, 2014
Between November 1, 2014 and December 1 | [INDENT][/INDENT]December 30, 2014
Between December 1 and December 19 | [INDENT][/INDENT] January 5, 2015
Between December 20 and January 5, 2015 | [INDENT][/INDENT] January 19, 2015
Nov 14, 2014
42 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
CPA Ontario, when I called in none of this information was given. Since I submitted on November 3rd based on the advice of one of your learning sessions in Ottawa will the next stage for me getting registered in module 5 be possible (I was able to determine which modules I need based on my transcript)? I was originally told no but this post seems to make me think otherwise. Do you think assuming I get my transcript on December 30th I can register for module 5 and be enrolled with CPA Ontario by the January 7th deadline?

Is there anything I could do to ensure I can get in for PREP Module 5 in January?
Jun 3, 2015
1 posts
Saint-Hubert-Riviere…
I read on your internet site that the minimum grade required to gain exemption from a CPA Prep Module is 60% and I observed that I meet this requirement for the modules 4 (Statistics, grade 100% at university), but I did not get the exception. http://www.cpaontario.ca/Students/CPAce ... 17325.aspx
[QUOTE]What is the minimum grade required in each university course to be exempt from a CPA PREP Module?

The minimum grade required to gain exemption from a CPA PREP Module is 60% or the university’s standard for a passing grade – whichever is higher.[/QUOTE]

I have friends who applied last year at CPA Ontario, in august 2014, and they got the exemption for Module 4 (they have lower grade than me and have finished at the same university like me).
It's also frustrating that I sent 2 e-mails and nobody answered to my following questions:
How can I ask to get the exemption for Module 4 ?
Is there any form that I have to complete?
Why they did not recognized I course that meets the requirement of 60% ? What is the reason behind?

I need an advice: should I go to their office to try to get an appointing with an transcript evaluator? I am not sure that they really looked at my grades. Also, I did not find on their site any form to ask for the re-evaluation. It'a just a mistake, a misunderstanding or they just want to make me pay 500$ to do Module 4 which is a non-core module...time consuming and money that I work hard for it. I don't know if I will continue with them: they ignored my e-mails even I had the confirmation that they received it. It's a very unprofessional attitude...I am very, very disappointed how my application was assessed.
Nov 26, 2013
801 posts
729 upvotes
Winnipeg
escape2015 wrote: I read on your internet site that the minimum grade required to gain exemption from a CPA Prep Module is 60% and I observed that I meet this requirement for the modules 4 (Statistics, grade 100% at university), but I did not get the exception. http://www.cpaontario.ca/Students/CPAce ... 17325.aspx

I have friends who applied last year at CPA Ontario, in august 2014, and they got the exemption for Module 4 (they have lower grade than me and have finished at the same university like me).
It's also frustrating that I sent 2 e-mails and nobody answered to my following questions:
How can I ask to get the exemption for Module 4 ?
Is there any form that I have to complete?
Why they did not recognized I course that meets the requirement of 60% ? What is the reason behind?

I need an advice: should I go to their office to try to get an appointing with an transcript evaluator? I am not sure that they really looked at my grades. Also, I did not find on their site any form to ask for the re-evaluation. It'a just a mistake, a misunderstanding or they just want to make me pay 500$ to do Module 4 which is a non-core module...time consuming and money that I work hard for it. I don't know if I will continue with them: they ignored my e-mails even I had the confirmation that they received it. It's a very unprofessional attitude...I am very, very disappointed how my application was assessed.
Why don't you just call them? Just because you completed a statistics course, does not mean that it's the course the program requires. My general experience with CPA is that they've worked out most of the kinks on the academic side of things, but the administrative side is as poorly handled as ever.
Oct 17, 2013
69 posts
9 upvotes
I have had a similar experience. It took them months (3-4) to evaluate my transcript and they still made a mistake. They didn't give me credit for one of my courses, luckily it only took them a week to fix it. However, now I'm waiting for them to register me with CPA Ontario and there still very slow. They've asked me to send documents that I've already sent. The deadline for the course I want to take is rapidly approaching. I guess I better call to see whats happening. Last time I called the guy was rude and not helpful.
Jun 2, 2015
17 posts
6 upvotes
Sent them multiple transcripts, starting in February. They got back to me conveniently too late to register for the July challenge exam. Now they've taken a registration fee, only to tell me I'm not "PEP ready", even though I know met all the requirements (average of around 75% and passes for all my required courses from UofT). I've sent them another transcript, called twice and sent them e-mails. I just hope they get back to me fast.

It's a painful process, that seems to have been handled really poorly.
Oct 17, 2013
69 posts
9 upvotes
I think this looks promising. I received an email today from them.
"Student Application Acknowledgement
Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPA Ontario) acknowledges receipt of your application for registration as a Student
If further documentation or clarification concerning your application is required or you are not eligible to register as a Student, a staff member will be in contact with you. Should your application fulfill all requirements necessary for registration as a Student, then an official confirmation of Student registration will be mailed to you."
May 5, 2014
4 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Dealing with this organization is such a frustrating experience. They lose the documents and nobody even informs you to resubmit it. There is no follow up to tell you why your application has been stuck for months. You call to check up on them and it's too late to sign up for the exams you wanted. They don't care.
Feb 2, 2015
9 posts
2 upvotes
CPA Canada sucks
Just change to AICPA
Better option
Sep 21, 2015
2 posts
1 upvote
Pickering
I've had a painfully frustrating experience with CPA/CMA Ontario. I sent in my registration way back in July 2014, got acknowledgement I was okay to register for modules. Recently while trying to log into CMA portal to register for the next module, was told my registration is on hold. When I call Customer service they tell me to e-mail. When I e-mail, they tell me what I already know - registration is on hold. And then they refer me to CPA Ontario Customer Service while they're responding as CPA Ontario Customer service - weird! Even more frustrating is that each time a different person is responding so there is really no flow in follow-up or effort in trying to resolve. Wondering if I can just get my refund back and register in a different jurisdiction. Things were a lot easier dealing with CMA Ontario before the merger. What a nightmare! And don't get me started on the multiple e-mail addresses one has to deal with. Why not have a central point of contact to make life easy for everyone. Wait time for a phone call is forever.
The guys in transcript assessment don't even bother responding to inquiries. Wrote so many till i gave up. Wanted my exemptions in writing but was only told verbally.
Sep 21, 2015
2 posts
1 upvote
Pickering
CPAOntario wrote: Update on Transcript Assessments:
CPA Ontario is aware of the current transcript assessment processing times and our committed to implementing processes that will allow for a more timely evaluation of transcripts. We thank you for your understanding. CPA Ontario’s assessment team is working diligently to process all transcripts with a focus on those students wanting to enroll in the CPA Professional Education Program in 2015. We ask for your continued patience as CPA Ontario continues to integrate and refine its processes and procedures as a result of unification of the accounting profession in Ontario.

Transcripts received by CPA Ontario | [INDENT][/INDENT] Transcript evaluation report returned to you by:
Before November 1, 2014 | [INDENT][/INDENT]December 22, 2014
Between November 1, 2014 and December 1 | [INDENT][/INDENT]December 30, 2014
Between December 1 and December 19 | [INDENT][/INDENT] January 5, 2015
Between December 20 and January 5, 2015 | [INDENT][/INDENT] January 19, 2015
CPA Ontario, any updates on the process. 2015 is coming to an end and we continue to experience numerous issues with the processes at CPA Ontario, ranging from registration to transcript assessment/reassessments etc. Are we entitled to refund if registration has not been processed for a lengthy period of time say since June 2014?
May 5, 2014
4 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
If you manage to get the refund, let us know. I would love to just quit the program and get my $500 back. Their customer service isn't getting any better and I am regretting registering in this program.