• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2018 3:58 pm
Apr 1, 2005
95 posts
13 upvotes
Greater Montreal
DavidY wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 10:05 am
I recently bought a backup machine, Airsense 10 Autoset for Her, for $805 from CPAP Outlet. The same machine from the your local DME (Durable Medical Equipment) supplier is often over $2K ($1K in Ontario)....a major rip job. These APAP machines have a pressure range of 4-20 cmH2O. They come like this from the factory. I go into the clinical settings and make the changes to my range of 10-15 and other comfort settings. The two forums help me out a lot.
$805 seems like a great price as it is $845 right now. Out of curiosity, why choose the FOR HER model? Autoset algorithm better in the FOR HER than the FOR HIM model? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6865 posts
718 upvotes
Alberta
barcode wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 3:27 pm
$805 seems like a great price as it is $845 right now. Out of curiosity, why choose the FOR HER model? Autoset algorithm better in the FOR HER than the FOR HIM model? Thanks.
$805 is for the slimline tube package. The heated tube package is at $845. Both are at CPAP Outlet. MonsterCPAP includes both a heated tube and either standard/slimline but for the same $844.xx price. CPAPMachines is at $899 with both tubes and a limited selection of masks...some wipes and filters....very good deal if you are happy with the limited mask selection.

The for Her model has an extra mode/algorithm that the regular autoset model doesn't have. It's $5 cheaper if you don't mind the white colour and leave symbols. I can also differentiate it from my regular black autoset unit.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
2982 posts
411 upvotes
Winnipeg
It was free last year here in Manitoba, my family doctor recommended I get a sleep study, and they prescribed me Resmed AirSense, everything was free, nothing to pay... This year, it's not covered anymore, and I will have to pay for the annual replacement mask/hose/water container.. didn't realize these were expensive!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8113 posts
1389 upvotes
Montreal, QC
DavidY wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 1:50 pm
CPAPmachines' FAQ section says that a prescription is not required to buy a new CPAP/APAP machine. This is the only retailer that does this to my knowledge. I needed a prescription with my Airsense purchase at CPAP Outlet. My prescription didn't have a setting so the factory settings were left as is (4-20cmH2O is standard for APAP).

Dave
Interesting, I've just read through canadacpapsupply and that's what they say:
A prescription is not required in Canada. Do I still need to provide one for mask and/or machine purchases?
Yes. We do understand that Canadian laws do not require a prescription. However, we must adhere to US and Canada laws; with the most strict law taking precedence, in order to maintain full compliance. Though a prescription is not required in Canada, the mask/machine leaves from a US facility. As a result, it will require a prescription.
So it's an US thing...?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6865 posts
718 upvotes
Alberta
Daijoubu wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 4:08 pm
Interesting, I've just read through canadacpapsupply and that's what they say:

So it's an US thing...?
Canadacpapsupply is based in Florida I think. No past shopping experience with them. In the US, a prescription is required for almost everything related to CPAP excluding components and parts.

Dave
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1020 posts
367 upvotes
Kitchener
DavidY wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 10:05 am
If you have sleep apnea or suspect that you have sleep apnea, get your information at the following forums about CPAP machines.....there is often a clinical menu that one can get into in order to make adjustments to the pressure ranges (min and max; based on the results of your sleep study) and other comfort settings.

http://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-Apnea-Forum.html

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum- ... oard-Forum

The top two Auto CPAP units are Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset for Her and Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto. These Auto models can act as a CPAP. Avoid the other models under these brand names as they give out limited information for Sleep Head software which helps one to make the necessary adjustments to the machines.

I have made my own adjustments and am sleeping much better while treating my sleep apnea.

The 15.1% coupon is only good for complete mask systems and travel CPAP/APAP machines and travel accessories.

I have had good purchases from CPAP Outlet, MonsterCPAP and CPAPmachines.ca (this one doesn't need a Rx for a machine purchase...very rare).

I recently bought a backup machine, Airsense 10 Autoset for Her, for $805 from CPAP Outlet. The same machine from the your local DME (Durable Medical Equipment) supplier is often over $2K ($1K in Ontario)....a major rip job. These APAP machines have a pressure range of 4-20 cmH2O. They come like this from the factory. I go into the clinical settings and make the changes to my range of 10-15 and other comfort settings. The two forums help me out a lot.

Dave
Thanks for post
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6865 posts
718 upvotes
Alberta
hdom wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 12:48 pm
Pretty sure you don't but if you want to claim insurance or your local healthcare for it, you will need a prescription / diagnostic of sort to prove you needed one.

In Alberta, we can go to a private sleep clinic to have the study done sooner and AHS would still pay for it, as a referral by a Family Physician.
I did that and got hosed by the sleep clinic/DME who charged me $200 for a three week rental of a APAP system with a full credit to a purchase of a new APAP system at $2500 ($2175 for airsense 10 autoset machine and $325 for a mask)...lucky that my insurer paid for it all, no deductible for me.

Dave
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
1859 posts
656 upvotes
Markham
DavidY wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 5:47 pm
I did that and got hosed by the sleep clinic/DME who charged me $200 for a three week rental of a APAP system with a full credit to a purchase of a new APAP system at $2500 ($2175 for airsense 10 autoset machine and $325 for a mask)...lucky that my insurer paid for it all, no deductible for me.

Dave
seems like they are milking your insurance.. that price is crazy

https://www.cpapmachines.ca/collections ... to-package

the entire package should be around 900-1300
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6865 posts
718 upvotes
Alberta
andyyuen wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 7:07 pm
seems like they are milking your insurance.. that price is crazy

https://www.cpapmachines.ca/collections ... to-package

the entire package should be around 900-1300
This overcharging is commonplace throughout Canada (except Ontario), Austrailia and the USA.

I learned my CPAP knowledge afterwards. My first trial with CPAP was in Feb 2018. Learned a lot since including which CPAP machines are good units (typically auto) and which ones are bricks (mostly basic CPAP only units). Bricks give out limited information to help one make adjustments to improve sleep therapy.

Dave
Sep 2, 2003
571 posts
44 upvotes
GTA
alexmercer wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 12:14 am
I'm not sure if this is the relevant subforum for the deal but I saw this on a sleep-related thread on another forum.

So, here's the deal- sleep apnea equipment @15% off as part of the Canada Day promo.

Use promo code- CANADA151; ends this coming Sunday.

Sorry for late post.

Too bad I Bought my new machine ( S10) just over a month ago.
Sep 2, 2003
571 posts
44 upvotes
GTA
DavidY wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 8:00 pm
This overcharging is commonplace throughout Canada (except Ontario), Austrailia and the USA.

I learned my CPAP knowledge afterwards. My first trial with CPAP was in Feb 2018. Learned a lot since including which CPAP machines are good units (typically auto) and which ones are bricks (mostly basic CPAP only units). Bricks give out limited information to help one make adjustments to improve sleep therapy.

Dave
The government stepped in, they all have to sell it for $840 ( I think), around $800, I remember paying almost $2000 for my old machine.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6865 posts
718 upvotes
Alberta
sonspot wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 8:30 pm
Too bad I Bought my new machine ( S10) just over a month ago.
15.1% discount is only applicable to complete masks, travel CPAP machines and travel accessories.

Dave
Dec 14, 2001
407 posts
105 upvotes
OHIP just denied my claim for a CPAC I bought through Amazon,ca (Dreamstation for $659). They said "OHIP does not cover the cost for the purchase of medical devices"??? WTF? I included my perscription and all the purchase info. It is a scam now in Ontario that you have to go through specialty providers who chage OHIP and your insurance 5X the cost of the machines and masks etc... I will now submit to my private insurance and hope they cover some of the costs.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6865 posts
718 upvotes
Alberta
BBucKK wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 9:09 pm
OHIP just denied my claim for a CPAC I bought through Amazon,ca (Dreamstation for $659). They said "OHIP does not cover the cost for the purchase of medical devices"??? WTF? I included my perscription and all the purchase info. It is a scam now in Ontario that you have to go through specialty providers who chage OHIP and your insurance 5X the cost of the machines and masks etc... I will now submit to my private insurance and hope they cover some of the costs.
It is my understanding that Ontarians need to buy the APAP machines from dealers who are ADP approved for the OHIP program. These tend to be local; most Canadian online dealers don't meet this requirement.
Dec 14, 2001
407 posts
105 upvotes
Exactly - those ADP approved folks wanted $2800 for the same machine I got for $659 - scam.