Expired Hot Deals

[Cpap Outlet] CPAP Devices

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2018 3:58 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
2203 posts
433 upvotes
For you folks in Ontario, please do check out the following document for prices on every approved PAP device:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/prog ... manual.pdf

You should not be charged a penny more than 25% (75% discount from ADP, IIRC) of any of these prices. My local retailer tried to upsell me a monitoring service and tried to tell me it was mandatory. It’s not. If you’re buying local, take this list with you to your retailer.

Choose a model that’s more recent, as my local retailer also tried to sell me a much older model for the same price! These guys are bloody thieves. Don’t let them swindle you.
Last edited by SpoonyBard on Jul 6th, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 6, 2016
179 posts
80 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
isnt cpap for sleep apnea and at the end their is some articles have said that sleep apnea is not real
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
2203 posts
433 upvotes
hagopb wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 10:25 pm
isnt cpap for sleep apnea and at the end their is some articles have said that sleep apnea is not real
Article as in a peer reviewed journal, or article as in some fool’s blog?

Apnea is a real and easily verifiable and quantifiable occurrence that affects a good number of people.
Jan 11, 2007
69 posts
33 upvotes
Some things I've learned while looking this up for others, hopefully not out of date:

i) USA requires a prescription for both machines and masks. Canada requires it for machines. So if it's asking for a prescription even when just buying a mask, more than likely the seller is based in the US. Those US sellers are breaking their seller agreements with the manufacturers, as they don't allow sales outside of the home country. If they're not asking for a prescription at all for even a machine? I don't know about that. That's really shady, they're breaking lots of rules doing that, and may not be an authorized reseller. Many of these online sales sites also have local clinics, which is how they can break the reseller rules from the manufacturer, as the online store may not have an official agreement with them.

ii) Ontario's ADP funding covers 75% of the cost of a machine and mask (I think every 2 years? or 5? I can't remember and I can't find it on the ADP page). The prices are actually set by the ADP program, not by the clinic. That's why the clinics are so expensive, it's stupid, and costing our government thousands if not millions more than it should and it's of their own making. You must purchase from an ADP approved vendor, no internet vendors will count. So if you're in Ontario, your first machine and mask get through the program at a clinic, it'll come out cheaper (if you don't think about how much it costs taxpayers). But if you wanted a second machine to travel with, or an extra mask, or extra cushions, filters etc, then buy those online.

edit: iii) If you have some other third-party insurance, either your own or through your workplace, they may cover internet purchases. You should talk to your provider, they may need you to send them a quote first from the company you want to buy with. In those cases it may not be cheaper to go through ADP, depending on your coverage.
Jul 4, 2005
166 posts
15 upvotes
i am not aware of ON ADP covering the cost of masks and filters and tubes. it is all out of pocket. if you have private insurance you can get a new mask like every 6 months. you must purchase from an ADP vendor to get covered by insurance. if you don't have insurance, then i would buy online.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6907 posts
757 upvotes
Alberta
BBucKK wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 10:01 pm
Exactly - those ADP approved folks wanted $2800 for the same machine I got for $659 - scam.
I was told that the ADP pricing was around $1K for one of the two best APAP units...don't remember if it was the Airsense 10 autoset or Dreamstation Auto.

These slightly used units can be priced as low as $250-$300 at Kijiji or FB marketplace in Ontario. Elsewhere in Canada, these units including older gen units are often priced at $1K+ using the ultra high insurance pricing as a reference.

Dave
Dec 14, 2001
416 posts
105 upvotes
I came out to $2800 for everything - machine, masks and a bunch of other crap I didn't need. They wanted special appointment for fittings ( there is only four real sizes S,M,L, XL) - 1 hour to show me what to do etc... I fit myself and figured out the machine (a Dreammachine Auto) in about 5 minutes. You know it is a huge cash grab when you see these places opening up everywhere. Unfortunately it is the Ontario tax payer flipping the bill in the end.
Sep 9, 2015
607 posts
291 upvotes
Nanaimo
it takes about a month to get used to, with tweaking from the sleep clinic. you may also have to try different masks. I use the "nose pillow" from resmed. I tried all different sizes of the pillows. i found that the large size, although weird at first, were the most comfortable because they allowed more air through.

never felt better btw, after 2 years of using a cpap. don't live with apnea untreated, it will kill you.
Dec 23, 2015
505 posts
450 upvotes
hagopb wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 10:25 pm
If it doesn't affect you it's not.
Feb 6, 2016
179 posts
80 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Vertigo wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 10:35 pm
Article as in a peer reviewed journal, or article as in some fool’s blog?

Apnea is a real and easily verifiable and quantifiable occurrence that affects a good number of people.
im sure apnea in some place is real and muscle and nerve behind the tongue get weak and/or related to autonomic function too and thus it could also trigger a stoke but sometimes big medical sites confuse us with mixed review articles at the end cpap is not a cure and the work should be focused on nerves and muscles
Feb 10, 2010
946 posts
389 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Hello everyone,

To the dear member who suffer from Sleep Apnea in ONTARIO:

1) You dont have to pay more than $250 out of your pocket for the CPAP machine. OHIP covers most of the cost of it and you can change your device every 5 years IF is anything wrong with your actual device.

What happens is unfortunate 98% of the stores always try to scam you to buy stupid unnecessary "packages". This is why I recommed using a good company, I being using MEDIGAS with out a problem just for the CPAP machine and ALWAYS is the same price ....$250. Also they care of everything regarding collecting the money from OHIP.

2) The best machine right now is the AIRSENSE 10 model..FOR HER....because the FOR HER model have a extra settings than the normal model.

Sleep Apnea is REAL and a CPAP machine is the best option available today to get the good sleep you deserve. IF you snore a lot, wake up gasping for air and feel very tired the next day please talk to your doctor and ask for a sleep study asap.

Hope this information helps.
Dec 23, 2015
505 posts
450 upvotes
hagopb wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 8:30 am
im sure apnea in some place is real and muscle and nerve behind the tongue get weak and/or related to autonomic function too and thus it could also trigger a stoke but sometimes big medical sites confuse us with mixed review articles at the end cpap is not a cure and the work should be focused on nerves and muscles
There are estimates that as much as 25% of the population suffers from sleep apnea , the majority going undiagnosed. There is a wide range of levels of severity and different types of apneas so not everyone with sleep apnea will have a similar experience. I can assure you that sleep apnea is very real. Cpap's do help some people but if your condition is severe you are already well aware of their limitations.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6907 posts
757 upvotes
Alberta
S0lidus wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 2:56 am
it takes about a month to get used to, with tweaking from the sleep clinic. you may also have to try different masks. I use the "nose pillow" from resmed. I tried all different sizes of the pillows. i found that the large size, although weird at first, were the most comfortable because they allowed more air through.

never felt better btw, after 2 years of using a cpap. don't live with apnea untreated, it will kill you.
One month for you....three months for my sleep quality to improve. Varies for each person. Quality really improved once my AHI got down to around 1. My pretreatment AHI was 77 (severe is over 30).

The treatment goal is to have a AHI of under 5. Sleep apnea is considered treated at this point.

Dave
Sep 2, 2003
579 posts
47 upvotes
GTA
Like some of you noted the Gov covers 75% of the cost, the good thing is the sellers have to sell the machines for $800(ish) not like 10 years ago the machine alone could cost up to $1800. The bad part is they can sell the mask separate for $250 and up, that same mask is sold online in Canada for $110, if you know and have a mask you like just buy it online, your insurance will cover it.. I don't know what some of you are buying to cost $2800 (today), you shouldn't pay more than $500 out of pocket with a new mask and humidifier, your insurance should cover the $500 if not %80 of the $500.. Last I'm not sure what store is scamming people, when I got my new machine system just over a month ago I called at least 8 stores in the GTA and Hamilton, all of them gave me pretty much the same info.
Dec 1, 2015
88 posts
109 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
I always knew we were all a bunch of fat **** looking for a deal