• Jul 8th, 2017 1:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
600 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto

CPAP Therapy - Waking up Groggy and Foggy

I just started CPAP therapy this week as I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

I find I am waking up even foggier and cloudier then when I first started.

I am also waking up in the middle of the night and fiddling with the mask.

I was wondering if there are any other cpap users out there - when you first started out did you find you were waking up foggier or groggier then before starting on it?

Also, when I did the sleep test the place was so cold and dry my nose started running like crazy. Im begining to wonder could this have affected my sleep test?

And now the cpap machine is making my sleep worse....
5 replies
Mar 11, 2012
246 posts
59 upvotes
Full Mask?

try wearing the mask while watching tv or something and not just when you sleeping.

Took me about a week to get used to.

Now I notice a difference in energy levels when i don't use the CPAP
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2400 posts
220 upvotes
Been using one for about a year. It took me months to not feel more tired than when I started (probably between 5-6 months....).
I have my hose elevated - hanging over a light above the bed and find this is the least disruptive.

Went for my retest a couple weeks ago and went from 47 episodes per hour down to 1. My machine sends me an email everyday with the stats.
Stick with it.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
600 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
gqballa wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 11:31 am
Full Mask?

try wearing the mask while watching tv or something and not just when you sleeping.

Took me about a week to get used to.

Now I notice a difference in energy levels when i don't use the CPAP
Not a full mask - I have those "nasal pillows"

The first night, I was told to try and "clean" my nose with a nasal spray cleaner (neilmed?) - This made my nose super runny, but eventually it calmed down enough that I could sleep with the nose pillows for an hour, then I had to take it off, it was just making my nose a bit too itchy and I wasnt used to it.

Second night I found the nasal spray seemed to help more, which was encouraging - Then I woke up again in the middle of the night and my nose was itchy, scratchy, started sneezing like mad and then nose was all runny and gave up at this point.

I got some nasal lubricant? Third night Im more prepared - I cleaned my nose, used the lubricant, turned up the humidity and used the heating tube as well. Was doing better on third night as I finally fell asleep and slept for 3 hours. THEN I woke up with my mouth flapping around.......

My nose was all clear, was breathing just fine through it, took some reactine to make sure that my allergies wasnt a factor, doing great - kept mouth shut, slept on my side but eventually even though my mouth was closed my lips were flapping in the wind.....

I was considering a chin strap, but my mouth isnt open its my lips flapping around.

I scheduled an appointment tomorrow with the CPAP place to see if they can give any advice, make adjustments, or maybe even switch to a full face mask......

I am a bit of a habitual mouth breather as my sinuses are always going a bit haywire (mild allergy to dust doesnt help....)

Does anyone use full face masks? Can mouth breathers "learn" to use the nasal pillows?

its only been a few days but man I feel like I havent slept at all...
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
600 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
raymondly wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 11:36 am
Been using one for about a year. It took me months to not feel more tired than when I started (probably between 5-6 months....).
I have my hose elevated - hanging over a light above the bed and find this is the least disruptive.

Went for my retest a couple weeks ago and went from 47 episodes per hour down to 1. My machine sends me an email everyday with the stats.
Stick with it.
What machine are you using? I just got a resmed air machine 10 or something?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2400 posts
220 upvotes
The one I had to buy is an Airsense10 that has wifi.
The loaner they gave me had an SD card that was to be taken out so that data could be read (I never did that....but the place I got it from did just to make sure I was using it for OHIP etc.)
It sucks for a few months. Still don't feel any different than before the machine but my wife likes the idea that I won't wake up dead one day.

She also likes the fact I no longer snore like a mofo.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove