• Feb 24th, 2018 12:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
818 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto

CPAP Therapy - Waking up Groggy and Foggy

I just started CPAP therapy this week as I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

I find I am waking up even foggier and cloudier then when I first started.

I am also waking up in the middle of the night and fiddling with the mask.

I was wondering if there are any other cpap users out there - when you first started out did you find you were waking up foggier or groggier then before starting on it?

Also, when I did the sleep test the place was so cold and dry my nose started running like crazy. Im begining to wonder could this have affected my sleep test?

And now the cpap machine is making my sleep worse....
22 replies
Mar 11, 2012
278 posts
64 upvotes
Full Mask?

try wearing the mask while watching tv or something and not just when you sleeping.

Took me about a week to get used to.

Now I notice a difference in energy levels when i don't use the CPAP
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2463 posts
266 upvotes
Whitby
Been using one for about a year. It took me months to not feel more tired than when I started (probably between 5-6 months....).
I have my hose elevated - hanging over a light above the bed and find this is the least disruptive.

Went for my retest a couple weeks ago and went from 47 episodes per hour down to 1. My machine sends me an email everyday with the stats.
Stick with it.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
818 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
gqballa wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 11:31 am
Full Mask?

try wearing the mask while watching tv or something and not just when you sleeping.

Took me about a week to get used to.

Now I notice a difference in energy levels when i don't use the CPAP
Not a full mask - I have those "nasal pillows"

The first night, I was told to try and "clean" my nose with a nasal spray cleaner (neilmed?) - This made my nose super runny, but eventually it calmed down enough that I could sleep with the nose pillows for an hour, then I had to take it off, it was just making my nose a bit too itchy and I wasnt used to it.

Second night I found the nasal spray seemed to help more, which was encouraging - Then I woke up again in the middle of the night and my nose was itchy, scratchy, started sneezing like mad and then nose was all runny and gave up at this point.

I got some nasal lubricant? Third night Im more prepared - I cleaned my nose, used the lubricant, turned up the humidity and used the heating tube as well. Was doing better on third night as I finally fell asleep and slept for 3 hours. THEN I woke up with my mouth flapping around.......

My nose was all clear, was breathing just fine through it, took some reactine to make sure that my allergies wasnt a factor, doing great - kept mouth shut, slept on my side but eventually even though my mouth was closed my lips were flapping in the wind.....

I was considering a chin strap, but my mouth isnt open its my lips flapping around.

I scheduled an appointment tomorrow with the CPAP place to see if they can give any advice, make adjustments, or maybe even switch to a full face mask......

I am a bit of a habitual mouth breather as my sinuses are always going a bit haywire (mild allergy to dust doesnt help....)

Does anyone use full face masks? Can mouth breathers "learn" to use the nasal pillows?

its only been a few days but man I feel like I havent slept at all...
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
818 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
raymondly wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 11:36 am
Been using one for about a year. It took me months to not feel more tired than when I started (probably between 5-6 months....).
I have my hose elevated - hanging over a light above the bed and find this is the least disruptive.

Went for my retest a couple weeks ago and went from 47 episodes per hour down to 1. My machine sends me an email everyday with the stats.
Stick with it.
What machine are you using? I just got a resmed air machine 10 or something?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2463 posts
266 upvotes
Whitby
The one I had to buy is an Airsense10 that has wifi.
The loaner they gave me had an SD card that was to be taken out so that data could be read (I never did that....but the place I got it from did just to make sure I was using it for OHIP etc.)
It sucks for a few months. Still don't feel any different than before the machine but my wife likes the idea that I won't wake up dead one day.

She also likes the fact I no longer snore like a mofo.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6852 posts
714 upvotes
Alberta
raymondly wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 1:55 pm
The one I had to buy is an Airsense10 that has wifi.
The loaner they gave me had an SD card that was to be taken out so that data could be read (I never did that....but the place I got it from did just to make sure I was using it for OHIP etc.)
It sucks for a few months. Still don't feel any different than before the machine but my wife likes the idea that I won't wake up dead one day.

She also likes the fact I no longer snore like a mofo.
How much was your Resmed Air Sense 10? My Respiratory Tech said $1700-$2500...Resmed 10 would probably be at the higher end. Seen Canadian online dealers sell for $800+....same brand and model. :o
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
818 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
DavidY wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 10:33 am
How much was your Resmed Air Sense 10? My Respiratory Tech said $1700-$2500...Resmed 10 would probably be at the higher end. Seen Canadian online dealers sell for $800+....same brand and model. :o
I paid under $1000 - $1700-$2500 doesnt sound right unless theres other things they are bundling in too, like mask and other services?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2463 posts
266 upvotes
Whitby
DavidY wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 10:33 am
OHIP covered part of it - maybe 50% if I remember correctly. Not sure if there is an equivalent in Alberta.
My wife's benefits package covered some of the rest. Still out of pocket around 500$ out of the about 1400$ it was.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6852 posts
714 upvotes
Alberta
Still feeling groggy each morning since Thursday. Also, having vertigo and balance issues each morning. Getting a rash under each nostril with the P10 nose mask (since the 2nd night).

Asking my tech if a different nose mask (N20) would work better.

Dave
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
818 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
DavidY wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 9:34 am
Still feeling groggy each morning since Thursday. Also, having vertigo and balance issues each morning. Getting a rash under each nostril with the P10 nose mask (since the 2nd night).

Asking my tech if a different nose mask (N20) would work better.

Dave
I felt groggy the first two weeks when I started

It felt like when I woke up, I didnt sleep for days.

I think before CPAP I likely never went into deep sleep, so now that my body was able to finally get into deep sleep I was feeling exhausted and just wanted to sleep more.

It does go away, and I do honestly dont feel drowsy during the day anymore.

The vertigo and balance issues I cant comment on.

Are you using the humidifier and heated tube option? Not sure which machine your using.

Maybe you could use this option

I woke up with nose bleeds and a super dry nose the first while too, but I got a generic nose cream from Shoppers drug mart that I use every night now and its been fine for me. I just went to the allergies section with all the claritin and other allergy drugs and found a nose cream from there.

Hope it gets better for you, tough it out!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6852 posts
714 upvotes
Alberta
chillychin wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 12:17 pm
I felt groggy the first two weeks when I started

It felt like when I woke up, I didnt sleep for days.

I think before CPAP I likely never went into deep sleep, so now that my body was able to finally get into deep sleep I was feeling exhausted and just wanted to sleep more.

It does go away, and I do honestly dont feel drowsy during the day anymore.

The vertigo and balance issues I cant comment on.

Are you using the humidifier and heated tube option? Not sure which machine your using.

Maybe you could use this option

I woke up with nose bleeds and a super dry nose the first while too, but I got a generic nose cream from Shoppers drug mart that I use every night now and its been fine for me. I just went to the allergies section with all the claritin and other allergy drugs and found a nose cream from there.

Hope it gets better for you, tough it out!
Yes, my CPAP machine has both options (a humidifier and a heated hose). I have been using a cream as soon as I started getting a rash.
Jan 12, 2017
524 posts
558 upvotes
YK
chillychin wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 10:46 am
I just started CPAP therapy this week as I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

I find I am waking up even foggier and cloudier then when I first started.

I am also waking up in the middle of the night and fiddling with the mask.

I was wondering if there are any other cpap users out there - when you first started out did you find you were waking up foggier or groggier then before starting on it?

Also, when I did the sleep test the place was so cold and dry my nose started running like crazy. Im begining to wonder could this have affected my sleep test?

And now the cpap machine is making my sleep worse....
maybe talk to your doctor
who has your entire medical history
and won't guess online, but will have definitive, helpful responses for you
Feb 10, 2010
932 posts
386 upvotes
Ajax, ON
chillychin wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 10:39 am
I paid under $1000 - $1700-$2500 doesnt sound right unless theres other things they are bundling in too, like mask and other services?
$1000 for the Air sense 10 in Ontario doesnt sound right either.

In Ontario OHIP covers most part of the machine and you should be paying max $250 out of your pocket for the newest Resmed Air sense 10.

What happen is most of the places are ripping off people with sleep disorders selling overprice "combos" or "bundles" with your machine.

You should be paying $250 for the machine AND they should give you a generic mask with the machine. Most of the accessories are a money grab.

Optional beside the machine is the heat tube and a better mask. The mask is a personal choice depends of the way you sleep, the shape of your face and how sensitive are your nostrils. Buy the mask from a store that have 30 days refund or exchance policy until you find the mask that is appropiate for you..

If you getting a skin rash try changing the humidifier settings until you find your sweet spot.

Never get the destill water from cpap stores as is everything else overprice, instead get it from Walmart or other cheap place.

Finally, feeling tired or drowsy maybe means your not using the correct pressure. Bring the machine to your sleep disorder doctor asap.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
818 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
NoWynne2018 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 5:35 pm
maybe talk to your doctor
who has your entire medical history
and won't guess online, but will have definitive, helpful responses for you
My original issue from 7 months ago has been resolved now - But I thank you for the advice, I did have a conversation with my doctor and things are fine now