• Aug 22nd, 2016 1:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6697 posts
1256 upvotes
Mont-Royal

CPU expert need: advices

Anyone can explain to me this why a 2012 year cpu has better benchmark by far than the new 5 or 6th generations? Especially those 2 i2 on the right side.

I am not looking for video editing, just normal surfing and some program for office use in a pharmacy.

Also would liek to be a quiet use, so not hard fan spinning.

I guess the 3770s is good, but the fan will spin like crazy??

I mean the benchmark still amost double..

I am looking to buy maybe 4-5 computers.

Maybe I should just buy a cheap one and run everything through a server?? In that case CPU which server is recommended?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
716 upvotes
turbo speed on both cpus are different. One is also a desktop part another is laptop, meaning more likely to throttle and the lenghth of time for turbo speed is much lower than the desktop.

They're not directly comparable.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6697 posts
1256 upvotes
Mont-Royal
rageking wrote:
Aug 19th, 2016 12:23 am
turbo speed on both cpus are different. One is also a desktop part another is laptop, meaning more likely to throttle and the lenghth of time for turbo speed is much lower than the desktop.

just a quick, what is exactly a turbo speed? when on turbo, does it meanit will have more heat and fan will spin faster? I remember in the old days, there was a button in the computer and when we pressed, it is turbo...

When you mean not comparable, which one is better? I believe the 3rd generation?

thanks!!
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2879 posts
555 upvotes
U processors are notebook ones I think? Besides the I7 3770S has 4 cores vs the other two... that'll probably make up for the difference in score?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14708 posts
5875 upvotes
L4cky wrote:
Aug 19th, 2016 12:35 am
rageking wrote:
Aug 19th, 2016 12:23 am

just a quick, what is exactly a turbo speed? when on turbo, does it meanit will have more heat and fan will spin faster? I remember in the old days, there was a button in the computer and when we pressed, it is turbo...

When you mean not comparable, which one is better? I believe the 3rd generation?

thanks!!
Intel turbo boost basically means that the processor will overclock itself so long as the thermal and electrical conditions are good. So the boost speed is as fast as it will go, provided that it does not get too hot or exceed the designed TDP.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2004
1080 posts
54 upvotes
The reason the old 3770S has double score because it has double the cores: 4 physical cores (8 threads). You are also comparing Notebook CPUs to Desktop CPUs, are you buying laptops or desktops? The laptop CPUs are likely meant to be soldered directly on the board and you cannot get those to fit a desktop socket.

Turbo speed is like you said but there is no longer a button and its done automatically.

For your needs (surfing, office programs) just buy any cheap i3, or splurg on an i5, wont make a difference.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14708 posts
5875 upvotes
OP Intel is really sneaky with the way they name their laptop CPUs. You have every reason to be confused. Intel desktop i5 and i7 CPUs all have 4 full cores. Unfortunately with their laptops, all the laptop i5s are dual cores and most of the laptop i7s are also dual cores. There are a few quad core i7 laptops but they are rare and hard to find.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24737 posts
5020 upvotes
Sooo....

You're comparing two mobile/BGA DC processors with a slightly older desktop/socketed QC processor...and you're wondering why the latter is much faster? Seriously? And one even has a base-clock of less than 2Ghz! :lol:

Not sure if this is a troll thread or not? Part of the post even sounds like it was written by Borat, lol.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6697 posts
1256 upvotes
Mont-Royal
SickBeast wrote:OP Intel is really sneaky with the way they name their laptop CPUs. You have every reason to be confused. Intel desktop i5 and i7 CPUs all have 4 full cores. Unfortunately with their laptops, all the laptop i5s are dual cores and most of the laptop i7s are also dual cores. There are a few quad core i7 laptops but they are rare and hard to find.
Thanks! Good to know this info!
ES_Revenge wrote:
Aug 19th, 2016 1:41 am
Sooo....

You're comparing two mobile/BGA DC processors with a slightly older desktop/socketed QC processor...and you're wondering why the latter is much faster? Seriously? And one even has a base-clock of less than 2Ghz! :lol:

Not sure if this is a troll thread or not? Part of the post even sounds like it was written by Borat, lol.
No I'm not trolling. I am debating either purchasing an open box barebone i7 5557u mini PM from intel at 530$ or a HP ultra thin refurbished at 430$. With the barebone, I might need an extra 100$. I would like to know why I should be paying 180$ more (or a price around this) other than a newer version and lower power consumptions...
- Training 101
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6684 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
All those CPUs are more than adequate, just get whatever PC that is least headache for you.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30497 posts
5037 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you're planning to use this in your business, I suggest you do it right and don't cheap out.

Install a proper server to store patient data
Buy i3 work stations
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6697 posts
1256 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Gee wrote:
Aug 19th, 2016 2:51 am
If you're planning to use this in your business, I suggest you do it right and don't cheap out.

Install a proper server to store patient data
Buy i3 work stations
Yeah that was my 2nd option, what is the cpu for a decent server in your opinion?
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1414 posts
590 upvotes
Calgary
From left to right, the Thermal Design Power (TDP) of the processors you're comparing are 15W, 28W, and 65w. That's the average power each CPU dissipates. As you can see, the 6260U uses less than a quarter of the power that the 3770S uses, and the 5557U uses a bit less than half.

If this is for a business, perhaps you should find someone who does know more about these things to help you out here. It's not just about finding the right CPU - it's being able to have someone who can recommend a complete system that will meet your needs and help if anything goes wrong. If you even made the mistake of not looking at dual vs quad-core CPUs (or even laptop vs desktop processors), you are not the best person to be in charge of buying machines for your business.

Buying computers for a business is not something to take lightly.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9125 posts
259 upvotes
Have you heard or low power Intel Atom cpus? These are similar. You're basically comparing a high end cell phone processor to a desktop processor.

In fact your charts clearly show the difference, two are listed as "laptop" while the other listed as desktop.
it's me ramin.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24737 posts
5020 upvotes
L4cky wrote:
Aug 19th, 2016 2:35 am
No I'm not trolling. I am debating either purchasing an open box barebone i7 5557u mini PM from intel at 530$ or a HP ultra thin refurbished at 430$. With the barebone, I might need an extra 100$. I would like to know why I should be paying 180$ more (or a price around this) other than a newer version and lower power consumptions...
I'm not sure where the confusion is. Mobile processors, speed-for-speed, are more expensive than desktop processors in nearly all cases. This has always been the case--nothing new there. I'm not sure how that's surprising or puzzling?

Secondly... In mobile CPUs there's nearly no difference between i3, i5, and i7. Nearly all are dual-core CPUs. i5s merely have turbo over i3 (there were some mobile i5 QCs but they stopped that a long time ago); i7s merely have higher clocks and/or more cache and/or better iGPUs than i5s. Mobile i3s and i5s are similar in price and there's not too much difference. Mobile i7s typically carry a hefty premium and there's again, little difference. The DC mobile i7s are more marketing fluff IMO--they're there to get people to pay $$$ just because they think they're buying an "i7". Stupid.

Now there are a relative few QC mobile i7s as well but as you can imagine these are quite expensive and have relatively high TDP. These are typically seen in gaming laptops.

Thirdly, Intel hasn't made any big advances in processor [computational] power for many years. The jump from Core2 to Core iX series was probably the last good one. From there SB wasn't bad at 10-15% increase over Bloomfield, and then everything else has been like 3-5% increase per generation. The only other things that have gotten better are the addition of new instructions (which in specific cases can make large differences) and lower power consumption.

In any event there's no way a DC mobile CPU of the past 6-7 years or so is going to beat a QC desktop CPU of the same period (this is of course talking only about Intel mainstream Core iX line, not Atom and N/J, or AMD, processors). Majority of mobile CPUs aren't meant to be speed demons, they're meant to be power savers (you know so your battery doesn't run down quickly in laptops?). Intel knows this, hence why the majority of them are DC processors. Yes they use them in things like NUCs as well but there minimal size and heat are required so they use mobile CPUs as well.

Hopefully that makes it clearer for you.