Personal Finance

CRA- anyone deduct private school tuition as a medica expense?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 12:32 am
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
80 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
Momof3cuties wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 8:29 am
This is a stupid argument. The tax savings would be less then it would cost the government to provide the supports that the child may need. These parents are actually paying for it themselves instead of expecting taxpayers to cover the bill.
It's an irrelevant argument, either way and has no bearing on whether there is a credit or not! I've never heard of someone picking or choosing which tax deduction or credits apply to them based on what they think tax payers should be covering.
Feb 8, 2017
207 posts
69 upvotes
gingersb wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 8:29 am
It's not about what you or I expect taxpayer to do. It's about what is eligible under tax rules currently in place. Just like the everyone else, I will follow them and take the credits available to me when they apply.
+1. tax advantage of every deduction you can.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18045 posts
3546 upvotes
Toronto
OP is simply exploring what credits are available in her situation, she does not appear to be abusing our tax system. If she is entitled to the credits, then she should use it, IMO.

As for OP, I think you should call CRA and identify the source that you have found (as quoted in the earlier post) and let CRA interprets it for you to get their view on how to deal with your situation.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4719 posts
754 upvotes
sr79 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 9:20 am
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/tchncl/ncmt ... 1-eng.html

see 1.56 , 1.58 , 1.59
This. Disregard the nay-sayers above that would be investigation the same things if they were in your shoes OP.

Nobody can say yes or no on this issue. It is all interpretation. I would suggest not calling CRA either. Talk to 3 people get 4 answers. My advice would be to claim it, then wait for the inevitable assessment review and send in the documents they ask for.

Dont spend the refund. Keep it separate and only view it as your money after CRA has done their work. Worse comes to worse, you pay it back later. You might be out a bit of interest, but it wouldnt be a significant amount.

Peeps need to focus on their own business and not worry about what others are eligible for or "getting" from the Government. "Off the backs of other taxpayers" if only we could all be so ritchous.....lol.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
80 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
dutchca wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 1:19 pm
This. Disregard the nay-sayers above that would be investigation the same things if they were in your shoes OP.

Nobody can say yes or no on this issue. It is all interpretation. I would suggest not calling CRA either. Talk to 3 people get 4 answers. My advice would be to claim it, then wait for the inevitable assessment review and send in the documents they ask for.

Dont spend the refund. Keep it separate and only view it as your money after CRA has done their work. Worse comes to worse, you pay it back later. You might be out a bit of interest, but it wouldnt be a significant amount.

Peeps need to focus on their own business and not worry about what others are eligible for or "getting" from the Government. "Off the backs of other taxpayers" if only we could all be so ritchous.....lol.
This is exactly what my husband and I decided to do after talking it over this morning. We will take the deduction and if an audit shows it is disallowed, we will not fight them on it- just pay back our taxes & interest and be on our way.

Thanks everyone!
Sep 1, 2005
82 posts
5 upvotes
Hi,
We had similar situation where my wife was not working and I have to send my kid to day care as it was needed based on different doctors recommendation, I was able to claim it under Medical expenses and also got disability credit for few years. CRA didn't disqualify it but asked for extensive documentation which meant vising different doctors to fill the forms but it is one time every few year process.

Thanks
Manoj
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2623 posts
576 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm not in the "claim it and see what happens" school. CRA may not check this until next year, or even later if it isn't flagged earlier. I'm assuming private school costs a lot ... $20,000 per year? If the OP makes the claim and it turns out not to be allowable, that's a lot of tax and interest to repay. I would hold more value in CRA saying it is appropriate to make the claim, rather than the school, which has a vested interest.

So to the OP I would say: if this is a claim you plan to make year after year, ask CRA for a Ruling on the matter, or at least get written confirmation that it is allowable.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
OttawaGardener wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 1:48 pm
I'm not in the "claim it and see what happens" school. CRA may not check this until next year, or even later if it isn't flagged earlier. I'm assuming private school costs a lot ... $20,000 per year? If the OP makes the claim and it turns out not to be allowable, that's a lot of tax and interest to repay. I would hold more value in CRA saying it is appropriate to make the claim, rather than the school, which has a vested interest.

So to the OP I would say: if this is a claim you plan to make year after year, ask CRA for a Ruling on the matter, or at least get written confirmation that it is allowable.
Agreed 100%.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
299 upvotes
The room and board for such school (e.g., Robert Land Academy in southern ontario) can go up to $52,000 a year:
https://www.robertlandacademy.com/admis ... chool-fees

It seems to me that OP is likely successful to deduct the amount paid as medical expenses. See following references:

TUITION EXPENSES AS MEDICAL EXPENSES - CDN TAX JOURNAL
http://www.jamiegolombek.com/media/Tuit ... _2015).pdf

MORE REFERENCES
http://donvalleyacademy.com/tax-credits ... r-tuition/

http://www.taxtips.ca/filing/privateschool.htm
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
80 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
I thought I would provide a follow up on this thread. (I'm the OP).

The CRA did request our back-up documentation for the claim. We sent it in - the doctor's letter, along with our tuition receipts and the CRA accepted the claim.
Such a relief!
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4092 posts
545 upvotes
OP, others have also given some insight so I'll do the same. If you ever think about disability tax credit for your kid, it is an amazing program but extremely hard to satisfy the requirements. ADD and ADHD fall within the list of disabilities but because they give specific examples of people who are not able to tie their own shoes, most doctors refuse to put their name and support your claim.
Sadly it is a grey area but if you are able to get it, definitely worth it.