• Nov 11th, 2017 12:02 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1349 posts
226 upvotes
Brampton

CRA asked for transit proof

CRA asked me to submit transit report for the claim last year. I sent them the presto report, which they assessed.

However, they reduced the claim amount by 65$ saying that I did not make 32 trips in April. They said this will result in a reassessment. I guess I might need to pay ~15$ to CRA.

Question:
1) Is it a big issue for me going forward? I.e will I be audited all the time?
2) Any other way to still claim this amount?
3) Is it worth it for CRA to reassess for this small amount ? I guess CRA spent at least 500$ in employee salaries for checking my transit report.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4843 posts
793 upvotes
Peterborough
1) You are at increased risk of being asked for back up for claims in the future

2) No other way to claim it

3) Doesn't matter - they did it
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7197 posts
982 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
It may not seem worth it for the CRA to go after these small things, but whether everything checks out or they discover something inaccurate doesn't matter. The point is they do spot checks and ask you to support your claims.

Whether this was intentional or not on your part, you are probably flagged. Best thing to do is file an accurate tax return and keep your supporting documents and you won't have any concerns.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1349 posts
226 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks. Anyways, for this year I will file an accurate return. For the reassessment, I guess I'll just have to pay the money to cra.

I don't know an easy way to calculate the 32 trips in 31 days. Which 31 days to consider ? The issue is I usually go on 4 week vacation every year. I guess I should just ignore that month from the report ?
Jan 15, 2017
612 posts
411 upvotes
1. You weren't audited. You were asked to provide verification of a claim.

2. No, just pay it and be done with it.

3. This was most likely flagged by the system - not a person. CRA's mandate is to collect more taxes.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
171 posts
35 upvotes
OP dont worry about it. The CRA has a bigger fish to fry. I remember I had a similar situation. My fine was like $3.xx. Paid it. Never heard from the CRA since. Worrying about this is like worrying because your credit score went down by 10 points. Nobody cares.
Justin Trudeau - bankrupting Canada since 2015. And M103 my ass.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1480 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
Doesn't Presto provide a Usage Report for tax purposes? I.e. how much to claim... Hope you're not doing it manually...
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2616 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto
esq05 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:11 pm
Doesn't Presto provide a Usage Report for tax purposes? I.e. how much to claim... Hope you're not doing it manually...
Yeah, but those two links posted above from 2012 claimed that the annual usage report wasn't detailed enough, you needed the monthly info. The problem is you can't retrieve the monthly info more than 3 month back....
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes
ambujakshi wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:34 pm
Thanks. Anyways, for this year I will file an accurate return. For the reassessment, I guess I'll just have to pay the money to cra.

I don't know an easy way to calculate the 32 trips in 31 days. Which 31 days to consider ? The issue is I usually go on 4 week vacation every year. I guess I should just ignore that month from the report ?
From July 1, 2017 - Public Transit Tax credit has been eliminated. So next year only for 6 months you will be able to claim it, and after that year nothing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/p ... -1.4071264

So don't sweat it out much. Pay the 15 bucks and that's the end of it.

CRA idiots always go after the small guy, typical gov, attitude and wastage by the public sector employees of public money. While the big guys have shell companies and foreign tax havens. They find loopholes to avoid taxes that go into Billions, lot of ministers & corporations involved in that too.

CRA neither has the guts nor the balls to go after them. But wasting $$$$ to get 15 bucks from you is a big feather in their cap..LOLZ.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
1728 posts
297 upvotes
Markham
ambujakshi wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:34 pm
If i recall correctly, its up to 31 days and it can be any consecutive calendar days where you made 32 trips, so you can move the snapshot around until it suits your trip quantity / schedule.

So you can use something like 4 weeks (28 days) of trips (M-F twice a day = 40 trips) for one snapshot, and then skip the vacation days, and start the next snapshot after your vacation, even if its in the middle of the month.