Careers

CRA asking for SIN over the phone for job offer.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2018 3:44 pm
[OP]
Dec 16, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote

CRA asking for SIN over the phone for job offer.

So I got a phone call today for got a job offer for an SP-004 position for which I was in the applicant pool. Before sending me the offer through my CRA candidate profile, the caller said he needed my DoB and SIN. I said I would call him back since I didnt have it on me at the time, but it struck me as suspicious that they would ask for my SIN before hiring me.

Does anyone know if it's typical for the CRA to ask a new employee for their SIN before sending the job offer on the CRA candidate profile? Thanks in advance.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2011 posts
303 upvotes
Ottawa
They need it for the paperwork, essentially. The SIN and DoB is required to generate your Personal Record Identifier (PRI).
RFD 15 73H 1337
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4247 posts
4739 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It might be a final test as part of the job offer - with all the CRA scams these days, people are told to never give their SIN over the phone.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
er34er34 wrote: It might be a final test as part of the job offer - with all the CRA scams these days, people are told to never give their SIN over the phone.
That's why I'm being so careful!
[OP]
Dec 16, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
matradley wrote: They need it for the paperwork, essentially. The SIN and DoB is required to generate your Personal Record Identifier (PRI).
Yeah, that's what the caller said. But is it normal for them to ask for it over the phone before sending in the job offer?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2011 posts
303 upvotes
Ottawa
When I am hiring, I usually give the person an option to give it to me over the phone or come in-person. If you feel comfortable and are within range, you could ask to provide it in-person if you are concerned... Otherwise, yes it is completely normal for them to ask for your SIN over the phone. Heck, you may be eventually transmitting it on a PDF over e-mail.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1019 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
I personally wouldn't do it. I would ask if you could go in person and provide it for your own security reason.

Not worth the risk.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3969 upvotes
Toronto
did u apply through government canada website?
Feb 15, 2014
8 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
I got a job offer from the CRA, and I was also asked over the phone for my SIN and DOB. That info was used to generate my offer.

But it helped because I was expecting a call - a friend of mine who was working at the CRA told me who would likely be calling me. And it did turn out to be that exact person.
Aug 19, 2002
395 posts
129 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: Just email it?
Unless encrypted, email is less secure than a phone conversation. Email is sent as plain text and is easily accessible on many systems between the sender and the destination.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14184 posts
2258 upvotes
Writer wrote: Unless encrypted, email is less secure than a phone conversation. Email is sent as plain text and is easily accessible on many systems between the sender and the destination.
Not to CRA.
Aug 19, 2002
395 posts
129 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: Not to CRA.
What do you mean, "not to CRA?"

Email is transmitted in the same manner regardless of where the destination is. Unless you encrypt the contents of an email and have the recipient decrypt it, it is stored in plain text form on many systems along the way between your (or the email service's) ISP and all the (potentially very many) points on the way to the destination system. It can also very easily be sniffed along the way or redirected by altering the destination DNS at any point along the way. Email is by its very design insecure.