• Dec 10th, 2017 5:55 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2003
4210 posts
442 upvotes
Calgary

CRA Capital gains - Exchange rate lookup

Simple problem for tax calculation. Lets say I need the USD/CAD exchange rate for June 12 2013 when I bought a US equity.

It used to be I could go to the Bank of Canada site and look it up by specific date or enter a range of dates covering the date I want.

Now I cant find that link - even though the Revenue Canada site purports to provide a link (it goes to a redirect)? There is ability to download a lot of old exchange data, but I just want a simple lookup for a few disparate dates. Can anyone help?

I realize that other financial sites may have this but have always used BOC in the past to avoid any CRA issues....
Last edited by Cough on Dec 7th, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
4 replies
Apr 23, 2009
817 posts
124 upvotes
Here is the link. Make sure you use settlement date not the actual date when you bought the US equity.

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/excha ... ing-rates/

Use that day's closing rate. Starting April of this year, BOC no longer publishes noon and closing rates but just the daily average which will make it easier for everyone. One rate for one day........

Cough wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:56 pm
Simple problem for tax calculation. Lets say I need the USD/CAD exchange rate for June 12 2013 when I bought a US equity.

It used to be I could go to the Bank of Canada site and look I up by specific date or enter a range of dates covering the date I want.

Now I cant find that link - even though the Revenue Canada site purports to provide a link (it goes to a redirect)? There is ability to download a lot of old exchange data, but I just want a simple lookup for a few disparate dates. Can anyone help?

I realize that other financial sites may n=have this but have always used BOC in the past to avoid any CRA issues....
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2003
4210 posts
442 upvotes
Calgary
Yes I know those links you posted, thanks. But they need you to set the year, download the data for the full year to excel or whatever... then search the spreadsheet for the day you want. I just want a simple instantaneous online lookup like they used to have. Enter date and see the rate.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Mar 22, 2017
117 posts
39 upvotes
Cough wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:35 pm
But they need you to set the year, download the data for the full year to excel or whatever... then search the spreadsheet for the day you want. .
Um, no. You can search for specific dates online without downloading to Excel. Not sure what you are looking at.