• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2019 4:42 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 27, 2009
16 posts

CRA Delay Recourse

I have been waiting on a tax reassessment after submitting a T1-Adjustment slip last March. I waited until August at which time I got a mail from CRA that the reassessment had been delayed (to an unknown date). I've been following up with them monthly since then and each time, I am told that an internal status update had been requested, but nothing has moved forward yet.

It has now been 9 months and the reassessment is still stuck. Due to the nature of the adjustment, I am expecting to receive a large tax refund (well over $20K), so this is getting seriously frustrating. The cost of my refund being held up for this long is arguably quite significant.

I am at a lost for what to do other than repeat the same cycle of calling, getting and update that nothing has been done, and then hoping that something will happen next month. Is there anything that I can do?

Thanks.
8 replies
Jun 6, 2016
253 posts
149 upvotes
Scarborough, ONT
The CRA pays 4% / year on overdue refunds, so at this point you've already made almost 4% on top of what they owe you.
There is no other recourse / benefit / anything you can do really... It's the CRA.
Feb 13, 2017
151 posts
73 upvotes
toronto, ontario
There are 2 specific actions you can take to expedite your T1ADJ request:

1. Submit RC193 Service Related Complaint form to Revenue Canada. You can find RC193 on the CRA website and it can be submitted on-line as well.

2. Contact your local MP office and request their assistance. This is probably the most effective---it certainly was in my case---if you visit in person and give them a concise written summary of your situation.
Last edited by PhotoSmurf on Jan 14th, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 13, 2017
151 posts
73 upvotes
toronto, ontario
[ duplicate... please delete ]
Dec 24, 2007
517 posts
411 upvotes
BC
#1 Often times, if you are stuck at some reassessment stage and getting nowhere you could try filing a Notice of Objection with the Appeals Division and get another independent party reviewing it. You didn't state what the tax year that T1 adjustment was in regards to. If this was for the 2017 year (ie. due date was April 30, 2018) you have 1 year from April 30, 2018 to file a Notice of Objection, otherwise it is only 90 days from the date of the last reassessment notice.

#2 Your file has probably been flagged for an audit as you state that "I am expecting to receive a large tax refund (well over $20K)". A $20,000 refund (assuming an average tax rate 25%) is a $80,000 change, which is substantial. You didn't provide any details regarding what change you put through. A normal desk review of something simple like medical expenses is already taking 4-6 months to resolve. If your return is going to be audited, it is going to take a lot longer than than just 6 months as it will be put in an inventory queue until an auditor is free to review it.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2009
16 posts
Thanks for the responses everyone.
Alex383 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:23 pm
The CRA pays 4% / year on overdue refunds, so at this point you've already made almost 4% on top of what they owe you.
There is no other recourse / benefit / anything you can do really... It's the CRA.
This is somewhat reassuring. I imagine I will have to fight for this too. Good to know though.
PhotoSmurf wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:35 pm
There are 2 specific actions you can take to expedite your T1ADJ request:

1. Submit RC193 Service Related Complaint form to Revenue Canada. You can find RC193 on the CRA website and it can be submitted on-line as well.

2. Contact your local MP office and request their assistance. This is probably the most effective---it certainly was in my case---if you visit in person and give them a concise written summary of your situation.
I called back today and found out that the delay is mostly due to my ex-employer (also Federal... go figures). I have submitted both an Employee Complaint form.

I didn't know contact my local MP Office was an option. Will definiely do that.

WetCoastGuy wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 2:14 pm
#1 Often times, if you are stuck at some reassessment stage and getting nowhere you could try filing a Notice of Objection with the Appeals Division and get another independent party reviewing it. You didn't state what the tax year that T1 adjustment was in regards to. If this was for the 2017 year (ie. due date was April 30, 2018) you have 1 year from April 30, 2018 to file a Notice of Objection, otherwise it is only 90 days from the date of the last reassessment notice.

#2 Your file has probably been flagged for an audit as you state that "I am expecting to receive a large tax refund (well over $20K)". A $20,000 refund (assuming an average tax rate 25%) is a $80,000 change, which is substantial. You didn't provide any details regarding what change you put through. A normal desk review of something simple like medical expenses is already taking 4-6 months to resolve. If your return is going to be audited, it is going to take a lot longer than than just 6 months as it will be put in an inventory queue until an auditor is free to review it.
I think I'm out of that time period, so no Notice of Objection for me. I expected that it would get audited and take longer, but it's getting ridiculous. Will have to look into getting that interest.
Nov 12, 2014
532 posts
311 upvotes
Kingston, ON
CRA's processing times right now are literally 10-12 months for most things. It's insane.
Nov 10, 2018
662 posts
393 upvotes
The CRA is one bear you don't want to poke.

Have a drink, and try and move on and wait. I'm in the same boat (of waiting). I hate it, but there's nothing I/we can "truly" do, and whining to the CRA may be not in your interest.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1069 posts
177 upvotes
I wouldn't go the notice of objection route as invoking it freezes all progress and the the processing times of NoO's are on the order of 12-18 months. Reserve the NoO as an option if they mess up your reassessment.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)