Careers

CRA job selection pool of qualified candidates

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 6:02 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 20, 2017
4 posts
Hello, Just wondering if anyone applied for SP-03 in Winnipeg around august 2017 for night shifts?
I have been reading this forum and found out that it takes time to get an offer. Anyhow my application is still in process and they just call my reference on Sept 19.
They also have sent me a questionnaire to when I would be able to start tentative date Sept 18 or sept 25. Just wondering if anyone got an offer before the sept 18 start date?
Sep 21, 2017
2 posts
crawinnipeg wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 3:17 pm
Hello, Just wondering if anyone applied for SP-03 in Winnipeg around august 2017 for night shifts?
I have been reading this forum and found out that it takes time to get an offer. Anyhow my application is still in process and they just call my reference on Sept 19.
They also have sent me a questionnaire to when I would be able to start tentative date Sept 18 or sept 25. Just wondering if anyone got an offer before the sept 18 start date?
I applied same as you last Aug 2017. I got a call from them last Sept 19 asking for SIN and DOB. Also, they asked me if I can start on Monday, Sept 25 and they just needed result from my criminal records check then they can make the offer. They said they will call within the week. I wonder if they dont have the criminals records result by Friday are we placed on the next pool? Or they will start another batch which would start in October?
Sep 20, 2017
4 posts
craygirl wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 12:53 am
I applied same as you last Aug 2017. I got a call from them last Sept 19 asking for SIN and DOB. Also, they asked me if I can start on Monday, Sept 25 and they just needed result from my criminal records check then they can make the offer. They said they will call within the week. I wonder if they dont have the criminals records result by Friday are we placed on the next pool? Or they will start another batch which would start in October?
I hope soo.. Does your status change to 'pool'? Mine still says in process.
Sep 21, 2017
2 posts
I got an offer and accepted it onilne, I'm starting on Monday!
Feb 26, 2017
8 posts
Victoria BC
Dear all, anyone from Victoria BC heard anything so far for SP-04!
Feb 26, 2017
8 posts
Victoria BC
Dear all, no comments for a long time! I think you all got invitation! I have a bad luck......... anyone from Victoria BC heard anything so far for SP-04?
Dec 9, 2016
5 posts
Hi there ,
I had a interview for the job on Sep 12 . But I could not get through. My status changed to Declined
Dec 9, 2016
5 posts
Hi there ,
I had a interview for the job on Sep 12 . But I could not get through. My status changed to Declined
Aug 31, 2017
10 posts
8 upvotes
Long thread. I've never applied to a CRA job before. I'm considering applying for an AU-03 position but it says it's a "pool". Does that mean I will have to go through the full process interview, test, etc. and then I'll be in a pool with a CHANCE to get a job offer? Also, to get into the pool will they be calling the references? It clearly indicates one of the reference has to be the current supervisor. I'd feel weird if my boss gets a reference call for a job that may not even happen for me. Can anyone here clarify the sequence of the hiring process starting with the job application to getting into the pool and getting job offer. Most especially interested on when they start calling references. To be clear in the application there's a section asking you about if you have the work experience required and they're asking for a supervisor who can verify this work experience. Will they be calling my supervisor then or only when they offer me a job?

Also, is it ALWAYS a temporary position that is offered? What are the odds of getting an offer for a permanent full-time potion?

Thanks to everyone who'll shed some light on this.
Dec 24, 2007
66 posts
27 upvotes
BC
As a former CRA auditor who had been involved in running several selection processes I can shed some insights:

1. To get into the pool all of the candidates meeting the eligibility requirements are fully assessed (test, interview, or whatever the notice says) with certain minimum marks required.
2. A pool is not an indication of a firm job offer as any candidate that passes the Assessment is in the pool. If 10 candidates pass there will be 10 in the pool. If there are only 3 jobs, only 3 offers will go out. The pool is valid for a period of time before it expires, so if more positions open up more would be drawn from the pool.
3. Regarding references it is left to the discretion of the manager on how a selection process is run, so no definitive answer on that. I would assume only those offered positions would be checked especially if only a few positions are offered. As Au03 positions are senior positions and generally filled from within the CRA first, there are not that many that will be selected from the outside.
4. What are the chances...difficult to say without knowing how many they need and the pool of interested candidates. During my time we attracted little interest from seasoned tax accountants since those who had the required skills/tax knowledge were already on their career path at a firm. The Au03 salary has not kept up with the market for years and only those who wanted a certain work/life balance applied. I.e. money wasn't their main criteria.
5. AU jobs are usually permanent, never heard of any contract temp AU positions in my whole career. Assessing professionals is not like hiring for low level SP jobs and is an expensive process when you add up all the time spent by senior auditors and managers (at least 3) in preparing the selection process and in assessing candidates.
6. Everyone goes through a probationary period before becoming permanent.
Aug 31, 2017
10 posts
8 upvotes
Thanks for that bulk of information. Especially your thoughts on temp vs perm offer. Was reading through the thread and everyone seems to have received offers for a temporary position although none were really in the AU field I was asking about.

Appreciate it!
Sep 4, 2017
6 posts
Username868 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 2:46 pm
Like Parm485, received offer last week for a 7 month contract.
I just got the offer SP-05, Surrey office, until March 31, 2018.

Not sure to take it or not, as my current job is not too bad, working in an accounting firm close to home.

Do you think the chance of extension is high after March 31, 2018?

Thanks.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)