CRA job selection pool of qualified candidates

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2018 10:15 am
Tags:
None
May 11, 2017
65 posts
4 upvotes
They do not always tell you, you are in the pool. Sometimes it just says in process and stays that way. As long as you passed the test, got an interview or had a request for your references, it is a good sign.

They did not do all the hiring for SP04. They trained SP04s that were internal already to learn more new cases. Feb 12 I believe is the hiring dates for some pools.
Aug 3, 2017
7 posts
Anyone who is in the Au1 pool for kelowna/penticton? The pool is expiring on April 12 but haven't heard anything yet. Pool started end of October last yr. Any thoughts/comments are appreciated. Thanks
Sep 27, 2010
12 posts
3 upvotes
Alberta
WetCoastGuy wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 9:01 pm
That will all depend upon your previous tax knowledge, experience, etc. as you will be in competition with all other AU2s and AU3s as you normally do not get to lateral over to another Au-3 job, simply because you hold another AU-3 position.

Criminal Investigation is very detailed and procedural as you are building a case for a Criminal proceeding and making sure evidence obtained will be admissible. It is not similar to working like a normal auditor as your powers and procedures as an investigator are different from that as auditor. The experience obtained may not be translatable when transferring out of Investigations. When I was still with CRA, we found that auditors who spend too long a time in Investigations lose their audit skills and find them less capable when tested on selection boards.
I'm only inclined to take the criminal investigations position as a way to get into the CRA. I then want to go into income tax audit.

At this time, I have 3.5 years of tax/audit/accounting (financial reporting) experience. I also have an Master of Taxation degree, and a CPA, CA. Overall my tax audit experience would be relatively light compared to the other AU-02 candidates I'd be competing with (at the time I would try to switch), but I would think my tax education/knowledge would be superior.

Are people from criminal investigations even eligible to even be considered for internally posted AU-03 criminal investigations role, based on the criteria posted on the internal postings (which I can't access)? And are there any internal AU-03 postings for roles in Ottawa at the moment? I heard there are typically lots of roles at HQ in Ottawa, but I don't see many posted for the public to view at this time.

Alternatively, how hard is it to move up within criminal investigations?
Dec 24, 2007
333 posts
233 upvotes
BC
Definitely go for it as a way into the CRA and using it as a stepping stone to other tax areas. You will need to start right away to learn about how income tax audits are conducted and getting hold of previous selection board exams to see what was tested. Also, be prepared to take a position that is lower than your current classification. You wouldn't lose your current salary rate but would be capped at the top of the lower classification salary rate.

It is up to the hiring area to decide how wide to open the internal posting. Audit may restrict it to just audit audit employees of their office if they believe they have enough candidates to promote from within Audit and then cascade the promotions down to the lower audit levels to hire from outside. Opening it to other areas means taking on staff from other divisions or other offices, which adds to the staffing level which Audit might not have a budget for, especially if funding for certain initiatives are on a temporary basis and not permanent.

There are typically lots of openings at HQ in Ottawa as they have difficulties filling them with staff from the local Ottawa Tax Office so the postings are normally open across the country. Again you wouldn't see many of them posted externally since they will be posted internally first unless it is at a very high level or specialized. I'm no longer with the CRA so don't have access to their internal website to tell you the number.

Moving up in Investigation will be a lot harder than in Audit due to the limited number of senior positions in Investigations as Investigation Division is pretty small. As a comparison: Investigation has 5% vs. Audit has 84% of the total CRA Audit Resources. Also, AU3 is near the tip of the pyramid - so AU4 auditor and MG5 team leader/manager are the only next levels.
Banned
Jan 20, 2018
4 posts
7 upvotes
WetCoastGuy wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 7:39 pm
Also, be prepared to take a position that is lower than your current classification. You wouldn't lose your current salary rate but would be capped at the top of the lower classification salary rate.

This is terrible advice, and completely wrong.

If you go from a SP8/9 at HQ, to like an AU1/2 to learn, you do lose your current salary of 90k, you take a voluntary demotion to 60k.

Read the union contracts.
Dec 24, 2007
333 posts
233 upvotes
BC
Should have made this a little clearer.... As we were discussing about converting over to an auditor within the AU context, what I was suggesting is in the context of staying within the AU classification rather than changing over to another occupational group, What I was referring to is the fact that AU02 and AU03 salary bands actually overlap. AU02 salary range is $66,000 to $85,000 and AU03 salary range is $76,000 to $92,000. So, if an employee was presently at the lowest salary level for the AU3 at $76,000, taking an AU02 position doesn't mean a start over from the lowest level for an AU02 at $66,000, but would stay at the same salary level but would max out at $85,000.
Banned
Jan 20, 2018
4 posts
7 upvotes
WetCoastGuy wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 4:04 pm
Should have made this a little clearer.... As we were discussing about converting over to an auditor within the AU context, what I was suggesting is in the context of staying within the AU classification rather than changing over to another occupational group, What I was referring to is the fact that AU02 and AU03 salary bands actually overlap. AU02 salary range is $66,000 to $85,000 and AU03 salary range is $76,000 to $92,000. So, if an employee was presently at the lowest salary level for the AU3 at $76,000, taking an AU02 position doesn't mean a start over from the lowest level for an AU02 at $66,000, but would stay at the same salary level but would max out at $85,000.
Correct, however you didn't list that, if the employee was at the highest 92,000, accepting a job at the AU2, would result in a demotion, without being salary protected at the 85,000.

So even without the classification switch taken out of the equation. You are still wrong.

Why don't you instead, just link the people to the internal tool on MyHR that calculates people's promotions/demotions rather than posting these partial assumptions.
Jan 12, 2018
4 posts
VESTEGAARD wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 7:46 pm
No there was no break down in the results tab. But that's okay, I passed the test and got an invite for SP05- Ability to communicate in writing which I completed. Not expecting a reply any time soon LOL
Did you get any reply from CRA. Did they ask for interview?
Dec 28, 2010
423 posts
142 upvotes
Yes, I got an invititation for an interview. In the end they informed by mail what my results where, the information online was limited.
Actions speak louder than words
Feb 11, 2018
3 posts
Hi

i got an email from CRA that i meet the essential pre -requistes for Collection contact officer position. I am wondering , as your wife selected for this position, if yo can guide me what will be next steps for this selection process? How will be the interview? and Hows the work posiiton?
thanks
Feb 11, 2018
3 posts
Cech wrote:
Oct 26th, 2012 10:38 am
Wife was successfully placed in the Collection Contact Officer pool back in 2010. About a month ago she received a letter to mention that the Pool would be extended an extra year (2013).
Two weeks later she got a call from a CRA office in our town and was offered a contract. She starts Monday!!

Anyone have any experience in this position with CRA?
Hi

i got an email from CRA that i meet the essential pre -requistes for Collection contact officer position. I am wondering , as your wife selected for this position, if yo can guide me what will be next steps for this selection process? How will be the interview? and Hows the work posiiton?
thanks
Feb 11, 2018
3 posts
Hi,
I got an email from CRA that i meet the essential pre-requiste for postion Collection contact officer and shortly i will get notify for assesment stage. Can i anyone tell What's next steps for selection process? How hard will be the interview for Collection contact officer?
Thanks
Feb 22, 2018
1 posts
Hi,
Anyone in the Hamilton pool for SP-04 Taxpayer Services Agent (Requisition 52334291) ?
Thanks
Jan 11, 2018
17 posts
1 upvote
FrancisC708231 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 4:02 pm
I start July 10. I get flex time from 7:30-3:30pm. My term is 3.5 months with a possible extension.

SP03.
Hi, was the term ever extended?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)