Personal Finance

CRA phone number to quickly talk to a real person?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2017 1:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2740 posts
199 upvotes
Canadia

CRA phone number to quickly talk to a real person?

Just wondering what is a good number to call for individual tax enquiries, where you are able to talk to a real person quickly rather than listen to recordings for 20 minutes?

It's kind of a special case but generally related to education tax credits.

Cheers folks.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1554 posts
434 upvotes
Winnipeg
1-800-959-8281. All I had to do was push zero twice and it was transferring me to a live person
Oct 26, 2009
11 posts
GTA
nauru wrote:
Jan 8th, 2010 2:33 pm
Just wondering what is a good number to call for individual tax enquiries, where you are able to talk to a real person quickly rather than listen to recordings for 20 minutes?

It's kind of a special case but generally related to education tax credits.

Cheers folks.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/phn-eng.html

Call the number for individual income tax enquiries.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5168 posts
1365 upvotes
You need to call the "Problem Resolution Program" (wording might be slightly different) number which can be found in your local white pages.
They don't advertise that number anywhere else.

What's nice with this number is they have to answer ANY question you have. Where has if you call the tax help number and have a question for GST, they will say "call this other number" and close the line.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2740 posts
199 upvotes
Canadia
OK thanks everyone for these, will try your recommendations. :D
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3258 posts
2501 upvotes
Toronto
Have you actually tried the regular line? Everyone assumes it'll be bad, but whenever I've called them throughout the year, they answer pretty quickly. I would expect it to be busy in April, but it should be okay now.
Sep 19, 2011
22 posts
14 upvotes
LONDON
jm1 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2010 9:42 pm
Have you actually tried the regular line? Everyone assumes it'll be bad, but whenever I've called them throughout the year, they answer pretty quickly. I would expect it to be busy in April, but it should be okay now.
No one answers just a busy signal, I have tried 18002676999, 18009598281 and 18009595525. The last number I finally got through and when I got to talk to a rep, she could not speak English and when I asked her to transfer me to individual returns to change my address, she kept telling she could not do it , which I know she was lying cause I have had others do it before. Then she just hung up in my ear. I am so mad, I am paying these peoples salary only to be treated like this, the phones do not even ring, why not queue the call and tell you how long it will be.

I am looking for my representitives number and calling them. Also I wish I got the person rep number who hung up on me.
Dec 15, 2010
91 posts
54 upvotes
carlos1984 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 1:44 pm
No one answers just a busy signal, I have tried 18002676999, 18009598281 and 18009595525. The last number I finally got through and when I got to talk to a rep, she could not speak English and when I asked her to transfer me to individual returns to change my address, she kept telling she could not do it , which I know she was lying cause I have had others do it before. Then she just hung up in my ear. I am so mad, I am paying these peoples salary only to be treated like this, the phones do not even ring, why not queue the call and tell you how long it will be.

I am looking for my representitives number and calling them. Also I wish I got the person rep number who hung up on me.
I've worked for the CRA's call center before and the Business Enquiries line cannot transfer your to the Individual Income Tax Enquiries line. To make your life easier in the future, just sign up for My Account on their website so you can update your address, track your tax return status, view your past returns, etc. There can only be so much people in the queue and at this specific time, they're probably busy being bombarded with people who are calling to confirm if they're going to receive their GST/HST credit payments.

There are no special numbers to reach an agent.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6200 posts
800 upvotes
1+
jm1 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2010 9:42 pm
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Feb 18, 2010
130 posts
35 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
call 1-800-959-8281 and press * to speak with a representative
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2174 posts
383 upvotes
Newmarket
carlos1984 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 1:44 pm

You must have been quite rude so finally she just couldn't take you anymore. I speak to them all the time as part of my duties, never had one that didn't speak English, and in close to 20 years I only had one miserably sob, that's out of thousands of calls.

As it was mentioned before pressing * does the trick ;-)
Sep 19, 2011
22 posts
14 upvotes
LONDON
thank you , i have done that now a, I just did not remember my line 101, had to look it up. But there is noe queue, all the numbers I called were either TIP or just went straight to a busy line.
Sep 19, 2011
22 posts
14 upvotes
LONDON
Actually I was not , this woman had a chip on her should as soon as she answered, I simply asked to be transfered, They have done it for me before from the business line. And I did manage to speak to someone from the child tax and he was very nice and transfered me no problem and I actually heard him key in something, I assume it has the star sign like everyone else has said. And then the woman that helped me with my address change was also really nice, friendly and helpful.

But if you work in this kind of field you should not be hanging up in peoples ears. I work as a sales person and I have had some terrible people and if I hung up on a customer, my boss would hear about it. And also I did say she could not speak English, what I should have said is, she did not speak English very well, it was a very heavy accent and it made it hard to understand her.

As for the ,"As it was mentioned before pressing * does the trick ;-)" Yeah it works if you can actually get through, and not a busy signal. Have you tried pressing star when you get a busy signal? it does nothing.

Any ways my problem is solved. Adress is changes thanks to polite friendly people that actually know how to do their job. One apple spoils the bunch.
Feb 3, 2011
297 posts
61 upvotes
Markham
allanmadan wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 2:31 pm
call 1-800-959-8281 and press * to speak with a representative
+1

Just did this today and someone picked up right away
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel