• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2017 10:42 am
[OP]
Dec 1, 2012
10 posts
Merritt

CRA reassessment

so they asked me to submit my medical receipts for proof i guess? i submitted both reciepts and after they reassessed they only included the one for my braces and left the other one out? or something went wrong in the upload and only included 1? so instead of my medical deductions @ 8000 its at 3150 and they're asking me to pay back what i owe.. can a simple phone call telling them that they forgot a receipt or it must have failed to upload fix it?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2658 posts
597 upvotes
Ottawa
Were both receipts eligible? Not all expenses can be claimed.

Was there an explanation given with the reassessment?
Mar 9, 2012
887 posts
273 upvotes
KITCHENER
Call and ask what's up. If they didn't get a receipt, re-upload it. If it was something not eligible, you can either appeal, else you have to pay up.

CRA has been going after a lot of people lately, first time for 2016 tax season I was asked to submit proof, so yeah, they had a couple hundred pages to look over, and owed me an extra $5 because I forgot to add something correctly. Money well spent, on their part.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4631 posts
2326 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:29 am
Call and ask what's up. If they didn't get a receipt, re-upload it. If it was something not eligible, you can either appeal, else you have to pay up.

CRA has been going after a lot of people lately, first time for 2016 tax season I was asked to submit proof, so yeah, they had a couple hundred pages to look over, and owed me an extra $5 because I forgot to add something correctly. Money well spent, on their part.
LOL $5 nice to know our taxpayer's money is being spent wisely.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2012
10 posts
Merritt
originally they wanted my documents showing that i spent that much im guessing? anyway i uploaded the medical receipts via submit documents on CRA and when they reassessed my taxes they never said anything about a non eligible receipt so im guessing that the other one failed to upload or something? they got my receipt for 3150 and that is for braces but the other 4 or so grand is fillings, cleanings, etc and its not included. i already submitted a formal dispute and re uploaded all my documents and took a screenshot to make sure it got uploaded properly and im going to call them on my next day off. i failed to claim an extra 1000-1500 dollars so they technically owe me money. i originally claimed 6800-6900 and its around 7900-8100.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2012
10 posts
Merritt
they never said anything about the other receipt so its leading me to believe it never got uploaded or somehow got messed up? it seems the receipt that they did get was for my braces and that came to 3150ish i think? but they're missing my receipt for all my fillings, cleanings, etc and that is another 4ish grand. having braces eligible and not fillings, cleanings would kinda boggle my mind.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1127 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Upload all your receipts again, not just the ones they didn't include. They will reassess you again.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2012
10 posts
Merritt
Ya I submitted a formal dispute over the reassessment and uploaded all receipts with it. I also plan on calling them on my day off. With every receipt uploaded it's actually more than what I originally claimed.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8765 posts
610 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:29 am

I know CRA is funny. Reassessing low-middle income people like us. Nickle and diming us for $50. YET they don't go after MILLIONAIRES that have money stashed overseas, or release their names.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016 ... heats.html

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/senator- ... -1.3667389
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1700 posts
269 upvotes
Brampton
mindman wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:25 pm
Ya I submitted a formal dispute over the reassessment and uploaded all receipts with it. I also plan on calling them on my day off. With every receipt uploaded it's actually more than what I originally claimed.
Yea make sure you call them, it might just be a case that one of the receipts wasn’t checked. A dispute is more formal and could take a lot of time whereas calling could resolve the issue almost immediately.
Dec 24, 2007
86 posts
33 upvotes
BC
aquariaguy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:08 pm
I know CRA is funny. Reassessing low-middle income people like us. Nickle and diming us for $50. YET they don't go after MILLIONAIRES that have money stashed overseas, or release their names.
Unfortunately, as a former CRA insider here is the sad reality. There is a longstanding rule that Canadian courts will not enforce the criminal, tax or regulatory judgments of other countries. Same common law rule applies in other countries, so our tax judgments are similarly unenforceable in other countries, we can only go after assets a taxpayer has in Canada. If you're a millionaire with money stashed in a Swiss bank account and the CRA has full knowledge of the account number and all details, there is nothing they can do to recover the money. So, there is no point even auditing the Millionaire unless they know that there are assets like a million dollar home in Canada, why bother wasting audit resources if you can't collect. The only thing we can do if get them on criminal tax evasion with jail time and a record and that is really difficult to prove if they have all their records in a country that have secrecy laws like the Cayman Islands. Without evidence, the CRA has no case. That's why the rich have so much of their money stashed overseas. They can thumb their nose at the government and let the "little people" pay a big chunk of the taxes.

It's not that the CRA is stupid, lazy, or like going after "easy" targets, it's just that the average Canadians have most of their assets in Canada.
Aug 7, 2014
347 posts
115 upvotes
aquariaguy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:08 pm
CRA's computer may reassess you automatically for $50 if you made a calculation error on filing your tax return, but the CRA will not send an auditor to check your returns and reassess you $50 because reassessment takes labour time and money. The cutoff at one time was $2,000 minimum error before reassessing.

Contrary to what people believe, CRA do go after millionaires (mostly shareholders of big corporations) all the time, and CRA cannot release the taxpayers' names until they go to court. Read the Irvings Oil case in the 1960's. The difficulty is to trace the funds of a millionaire going out of Canada and the purpose of such transfer was not for business purposes although the funds could indirectly via a few foreign companies ending up in a tax haven country, as s/he could have hundreds or thousands of transactions in a year. These millionaire generally have smart Canadian and foreign tax professionals to help them along. It is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. In short, it is easier said than done.