Jan 28, 2004
2942 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto

CRA tax refund email scam

just got the following email:

Canada Revenue Agency
Online Refund Form

After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 386.00 CAD.

Please submit the tax refund and allow us 3-9 days in order to process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons. For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, please click here>>

Copyright Canada Revenue Agency. All rights reserved. www.cra-arc.gc.ca

here's the click here link:

Code: Select all

http://host17-208-static.106-82-b.business.telecomitalia.it//
just a heads up and warning to anyone who got this
Share:
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
I don't get it. What's the scam?
;)
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3541 posts
2 upvotes
molala wrote:
Jan 14th, 2009 6:00 pm
did you even go to the link? it asks for your sin, dob, address, credit card info...if you don't see a scam in there please pm me your info
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1715 posts
173 upvotes
molala wrote:
Ahh! The perfect target. Now I see why these phishing scams continue to happen - they obviously work! Since when is Revenue Canada's Web site hosted in Italy?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
blakjak wrote:
Jan 14th, 2009 6:34 pm
Ahh! The perfect target. Now I see why these phishing scams continue to happen - they obviously work! Since when is Revenue Canada's Web site hosted in Italy?
Not really. I don't even use ufile or income tax software for myself. Everything is done by hand. :lol:
;)
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10447 posts
1184 upvotes
Markham
ah_long wrote:
Jan 14th, 2009 5:49 pm
just got the following email:

Canada Revenue Agency
Online Refund Form

After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 386.00 CAD.

Please submit the tax refund and allow us 3-9 days in order to process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons. For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, please click here>>

Copyright Canada Revenue Agency. All rights reserved. www.cra-arc.gc.ca

here's the click here link:

Code: Select all

http://host17-208-static.106-82-b.business.telecomitalia.it//
just a heads up and warning to anyone who got this

Q2. I received a fraudulent email. Who should I report this to?

Please forward the email to our intelligence gathering unit at PhoneBusters, The Canadian Anti-fraud Call Centre (CAFCC) . The CAFCC is a joint operation between the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), the RCMP and the Competition Bureau that gathers intelligence from several police services, other regulatory agencies and the general public at large. They coordinate and channel intelligence and complaints to the police service of jurisdiction. This effort depends on the significance and frequency of these complaints.

so forward that email to to them
http://www.phonebusters.com/english/reportit.html

It's not always easy to spot phone scams, and new ones are invented every day.

If you suspect that you may be a target of fraud, or if you have already sent funds, don't be embarrassed - you're not alone.

If you want to report a fraud, or if you need more information, contact PhoneBusters:

Toll Free: 1-888-495-8501
Fax: (705) 494-4755

Toll Free Fax: 1-888-654-9426
Email: info@phonebusters.com

or contact the Competition Bureau

1-800-348-5358
Email: compbureau@cb-bc.gc.ca

To report an economic crime on-line using RECOL, please click here or visit www.recol.ca
Banned
Jul 16, 2003
10398 posts
1459 upvotes
Toronto
molala wrote:
Changing the subject a little.

I have a special laser printer, bought off the Canadian Mint, that can print an unlimited amount of $ 100.00 bills. Works perfectly, just needs a new toner. Im selling it for $500.00. Let me know if interested.
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent
Mortgage Intelligence - FSCO# 10428
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2004
2942 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
Keigotw wrote:
Jan 14th, 2009 7:44 pm
Q2. I received a fraudulent email. Who should I report this to?

Please forward the email to our intelligence gathering unit at PhoneBusters, The Canadian Anti-fraud Call Centre (CAFCC) . The CAFCC is a joint operation between the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), the RCMP and the Competition Bureau that gathers intelligence from several police services, other regulatory agencies and the general public at large. They coordinate and channel intelligence and complaints to the police service of jurisdiction. This effort depends on the significance and frequency of these complaints.

so forward that email to to them
http://www.phonebusters.com/english/reportit.html

It's not always easy to spot phone scams, and new ones are invented every day.

If you suspect that you may be a target of fraud, or if you have already sent funds, don't be embarrassed - you're not alone.

If you want to report a fraud, or if you need more information, contact PhoneBusters:

Toll Free: 1-888-495-8501
Fax: (705) 494-4755

Toll Free Fax: 1-888-654-9426
Email: info@phonebusters.com

or contact the Competition Bureau

1-800-348-5358
Email: compbureau@cb-bc.gc.ca

To report an economic crime on-line using RECOL, please click here or visit www.recol.ca
thanks, will do
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
laptop-tech wrote:
Jan 14th, 2009 7:50 pm

I have a special laser printer, bought off the Canadian Mint, that can print an unlimited amount of $ 100.00 bills. Works perfectly, just needs a new toner. Im selling it for $500.00. Let me know if interested.
So is it against anything to ask a question now? :rolleyes: Is it really neccessary for you to be an a$$?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
;)
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3777 posts
581 upvotes
Ottawa
laptop-tech wrote:
Bah, you were had! The mint ripped you off. They don't print any paper money! :D
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18286 posts
1102 upvotes
laptop-tech wrote:
ygpm..............

wait.........what??
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
TapemanPL wrote:
Jan 14th, 2009 6:03 pm
did you even go to the link? it asks for your sin, dob, address, credit card info...if you don't see a scam in there please pm me your info
+1 if that is really a government e-mail they should have your info already and not be asking for it.

**EDIT**

Lol I just filled their website form with a fake ins # and a fake name and as soon as you click "submit" the page doesn't go to the next step but simply goes blank... definitely a scam.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20354 posts
1591 upvotes
laptop-tech wrote:

Send me 5 of these bills, Ill check them over and decided if I want the printer or not. Once I verify them to be accurate copies, we will meet up, Im paying cash.
Dec 27, 2007
493 posts
57 upvotes
I work for the CRA and we never communicate with clients via email.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3421 posts
138 upvotes
Legend24 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2009 11:08 pm
I work for the CRA and we never communicate with clients via email.
especially to give you a refund lol.
× < >