Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9354 posts
2771 upvotes
Ottawa

Cracked flywheel...how much to fix ?

Folks my old car 91 Toyota Corolla made some real strange noise when i first started it up, a rattling, throttling noise if you will

Same deal when I pressed on the gas and brake

I brought it to the mechanic and he diagnosed it as having a cracked flywheel and he gave me a quote of $400 to fix it. He told me it's a big job and it would require taking out the transmissions

Does anyone know more about this issue and you think 4 bills is a good price ? I mean the car is only worth about $1K now but i am planning to give it to my daddy for a winter-beater so not sure if I should go ahead and fix that

Thanks
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3282 posts
118 upvotes
Thornhill
you have to fix it (im assuming its a stick) but weather its worth it to you, thats up to you.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9354 posts
2771 upvotes
Ottawa
mau108 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2006 10:48 pm
you have to fix it (im assuming its a stick) but weather its worth it to you, thats up to you.
No this one is automatic mau, yes no doubt if I want to continue using the car (or my dad), it will have to be fixed or the tranny will be seared in half or so I was told
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
12766 posts
3655 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2006 10:55 pm
No this one is automatic mau, yes no doubt if I want to continue using the car (or my dad), it will have to be fixed or the tranny will be seared in half or so I was told
An automatic does not have a flywheel. It has a flexplate. Same concept, however I would hope that your mechanic knows the difference.

As for the $400 quote, yes that seems reasonable. It will require removal and reinstallation of the transmission, which most shops charge $250-$300 for. As well, the fluid will need to be topped up since it will come out of the axle holes (Assuming he'd remove the axles).

Now would be a good time to do the following, since the labour charge should be minimal:
- Replace both axle seals.
- Inspect axles/CV Boots
- Replace filter/fluid in transmission
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2005
1669 posts
98 upvotes
definitely do the rear main at the same time if you get the repair done. should only cost you the part which is under $20
TrevorK wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2006 11:27 pm
An automatic does not have a flywheel. It has a flexplate. Same concept, however I would hope that your mechanic knows the difference.

As for the $400 quote, yes that seems reasonable. It will require removal and reinstallation of the transmission, which most shops charge $250-$300 for. As well, the fluid will need to be topped up since it will come out of the axle holes (Assuming he'd remove the axles).

Now would be a good time to do the following, since the labour charge should be minimal:
- Replace both axle seals.
- Inspect axles/CV Boots
- Replace filter/fluid in transmission
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24626 posts
2352 upvotes
Ottawa
bunga wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2006 7:23 am
definitely do the rear main at the same time if you get the repair done. should only cost you the part which is under $20
Rear main what? It is a transverse mounted engine.
If the job is $400 complete, that is a very good price. I would check, in my opinion, it seems cheap.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2005
1669 posts
98 upvotes
sorry, rear main seal
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2006 9:07 am
Rear main what? It is a transverse mounted engine.
If the job is $400 complete, that is a very good price. I would check, in my opinion, it seems cheap.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24626 posts
2352 upvotes
Ottawa
bunga wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2006 10:12 am
sorry, rear main seal
Still no such thing. There is no rear seal. The axle half shafts come out the sides.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24626 posts
2352 upvotes
Ottawa
Please, I know what a rear main seal is and it is on a normal engine transmission set, where the transmission is aft of the engine and the drive shaft connects to the output. The rear seal keeps the fluid in.
This transmission and engine combination on the OP car (Toyota Corolla) is transverse mounted. No rear seal.
You are passing bad advice.
Mar 17, 2004
410 posts
12 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 24th, 2006 3:23 pm
Please, I know what a rear main seal is and it is on a normal engine transmission set, where the transmission is aft of the engine and the drive shaft connects to the output. The rear seal keeps the fluid in.
This transmission and engine combination on the OP car (Toyota Corolla) is transverse mounted. No rear seal.

Threre is some bad advice here and it's yours. I suggest you do a little more research before you start accusing others of being wrong.

99% of all conventional and transverse mounted engines have a rear main seal. How do you think the engine is connected to the tranny (both manual and/or auto)? Via the engine crankshaft, sealed by the REAR MAIN SEAL, bolted to the inputshaft seal of the tranny (via clutch/flywheel or flexplate), also sealed by an inputshaft seal, front pump seal and or torque converter seal. In exactly the same fashion as many conventionally mounted engines.

The only ones that don't are the ones that have the tranny mounted under the engine block. Those engines have the engine outputshaft and tranny input shaft connected by metal chain and share a common oil sump between the engine block and tranny case. You can usually ID these as the car is FWD but the engine is mounted conventionally and the tranny mounted transversly.

ie: some very early Toyota 4X4 cars, Saabs, etc....

As for the OP's car....http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke ... 16a070.jsp

$400 does seem to be a good deal to re&re the tranny, especially on a FWD car. Getting the rear main should only cost you .5-1.0 in additional labour when the tranny is already out. The extra time is due to the fact that the seal housing must also be re&red, cleaned and resealed.......
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2005
1669 posts
98 upvotes
transverse or longitudinal it doesn't matter. The rear in the rear main refers to the back of the motor. The transmission still sits behind the crankshaft

if you look at the link that I posted (first thing when you punch in rear main seal in google) in the pictures, they are replacing the main seal on a fwd volvo with a transverse mounted motor.

Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 24th, 2006 3:23 pm
× < >