Cell Phones

Cracked phones - How much are you willing to pay?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2018 6:45 am

Poll: How much value does a phone lose after it has cracked its screen?

• Total votes: 25. You have voted on this poll.
Loses 40% of its original value e.g. $500 phone becomes $300

4%
Loses 50% of its original value e.g. $500 phone becomes $250

12%
Loses 60% of its original value e.g. $500 phone becomes $200

12%
Loses 70% of its original value e.g. $500 phone becomes $150

36%
Loses 80% of its original value e.g. $500 phone becomes $100

36%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2015
1128 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Cracked phones - How much are you willing to pay?

Hi guys,

For cracked phones, whoever doesn't mind them, how much are you willing to pay for one based off the original value? i.e. How do you perceive how much a phone loses its value after its had a cracked screen?

Talking here about cracked screen with like 1,2 or 3 obvious hairline cracks across the screen (maybe cracked corners that don't stretch across the LCD) but still fully functional and useable albeit the eye sore lol. Not about cracked backs, lenses etc.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15013 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
I would be willing to pay a bit more for a phone with cracked screen if replacements are available, as good as or better than the original, not too pricey, and swapping the screen is a fairly easy task.

I would never consider buying a phone with a curved screen like the Samsung Edge series.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2015
1128 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto, ON
audit13 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 11:31 am
I would be willing to pay a bit more for a phone with cracked screen if replacements are available, as good as or better than the original, not too pricey, and swapping the screen is a fairly easy task.

I would never consider buying a phone with a curved screen like the Samsung Edge series.
So you would buy a cracked screen phone, with the ultimate purpose of fixing/replacing the cracked screen?

You would not just use it as is right?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15013 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
futabasan wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 11:38 am
So you would buy a cracked screen phone, with the ultimate purpose of fixing/replacing the cracked screen?

Nope, I would not use the phone if it has a cracked screen. I would prefer to fix it by replacing the screen unless I need parts from the phone to repair other phones. I've done this a lot with the Nexus 5 and Samsung s4.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5149 posts
1410 upvotes
Aurora
futabasan wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 11:38 am

A phone with a cracked screen should not be used. It's already lost its strength and integrity and whatever water resistance it might have had. The screen will likely eventually fail. I'd say a cracked srcreen phone has lost about 80% of it's value and screens on late model phones tend to be very expensive to replace. eg ~ 350 for an OEM Note 8 screen (glass only is not a viable repair).

Well, if you really want to go cheap, you can just slap on a TG screen protector over the broken screen. To me, it will look like crap and I wouldn't know why anyone would do it instead of just getting a fully intact phone though.
Last edited by DiceMan on Jun 19th, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
3111 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cool to see all the input.

After some observations, I see that the group of people here who answered will only buy cracked phones with the intention of repairing the screen. Not just to use as is. I thought there would be some people who don't mind cracked screens :P

I am actually quite surprised on sites like Kijiji how high people "value" their cracked screen phones lol. There's only a handful of people who are reasonable and understand price should be much discounted from the original price.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2004
2952 posts
187 upvotes
Cracked curved s9 for example should lose 60-70% of its value. Nobody is going to replace only the glass you'd have to buy the whole new screen and also lose waterproofing and the screen is stupid expensive. iPhone on the other hand has cheap screens minus the X so probably just lose 40%
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2009
9226 posts
4979 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Lolz, LG phones lose 70+% of value once it's off the shelf.

+1 cracked screens on iPhones tend to be inexpensive repairs.

Cracked Androids can go in the trader bin, since the phone's value likely dips below repair costs, even after repair.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1036 posts
337 upvotes
Depends on the phone brand & the cost for the screen replacement.
That will dictate how much I'd be willing to pay for a broken screen phone.
I'm term of usage & it's still usable I'd rather just keep for myself as a back phone & slap that screen with a screen protector.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4967 posts
1080 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
None of the above.

Freedom Mobile

Nov 29, 2013
113 posts
42 upvotes
It depends on the phone. Normally I go by 30% of market value for a fully functioning phone.

I also look at how much it costs to replace the parts broken and how long it takes.

for some brands, i ball at 10% of market, mostly since replacing the parts would cost more than just buying a new one, either on contract or in store. (LG, Samsung Edge, Iphone X)
Please give me a thumbs up if my answer helps!

Current Phones: Samsung Galaxy S5, Motorola G 3rd Gen, Huawei P9+, Essential PH-1
Current Plan: 8GB Koodo Promo Plan for $56, 50min/50txt Chatr Plan for $10
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6044 posts
717 upvotes
Greely
Yeah, really depends on the phone. I cracked my Note 8 screen and had it replaced by a Samsung authorized shop. $329, ouch.

That said, a screen replacement on a Note 8 includes a battery. And when they couldn't get it to pass IP68 they also replaced the backglass free of charge, and then all tests passed.

So I guess all in all $329 for an all new shell + battery isn't terrible.