• Nov 13th, 2018 12:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13394 posts
2207 upvotes
Toronto

Cracker Barrel cheese sold

Hopefully no one will notice any difference in quality and everything will be business as usual...
Parmalat to acquire Kraft Heinz Canada’s natural cheese division

"The agreement includes the sale of natural cheese brands Cracker Barrel, P’tit Quebec and Amooza"
"The deal will also include the Kraft Heinz Canada manufacturing plant in Ingleside, Ont. This adds to Parmalat’s existing network of manufacturing sites in Winchester and Belleville, Ontario, and Victoriaville, Quebec."
"According to a press release, Kraft Heinz will continue to own and market its other cheese products, including Philadelphia, Cheez Whiz and Kraft Singles, which are processed in Quebec."

SOURCE: http://www.canadiangrocer.com/top-stori ... sion-83982
Last edited by playnicee1 on Nov 8th, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
31 replies
May 28, 2012
9906 posts
2079 upvotes
Saskatoon
I hope they don't mess with the J.L.Kraft cheddar that I get from Costco, it's the only one that good anymore. Parmalat owns Black Diamond and it's gone downhill...same with Armstrong cheddar (owned by Saputo), it's horrible too.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13394 posts
2207 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 8:54 am
I hope they don't mess with the J.L.Kraft cheddar that I get from Costco, it's the only one that good anymore. Parmalat owns Black Diamond and it's gone downhill...same with Armstrong cheddar (owned by Saputo), it's horrible too.
It's good that the Black diamond process cheese slices will still compete with the Kraft Cheese slices,
but what happens when they decide that there are now both Black diamond and Cracker Barrel bricks of cheese in the same company?
Does one suddenly vanish? (no need to compete with yourself right?)
Hope not...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9046 posts
1769 upvotes
I wonder if the Kraft names will continue or if it will all be under Black Diamond.

Personally I find Black Diamond Cheddar = Armstrong Cheddar = Kraft Cheddar. All tastes kind of the same (blandish) , especially when you melt it on pizza or a sandwich.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13394 posts
2207 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 11:40 am
I wonder if the Kraft names will continue or if it will all be under Black Diamond.

Personally I find Black Diamond Cheddar = Armstrong Cheddar = Kraft Cheddar. All tastes kind of the same (blandish) , especially when you melt it on pizza or a sandwich.
It may be that Black diamond might vanish simply because Cracker Barrel is a well known name that sells well. (possibly better than Black Diamond)
Reducing competition is never good. Price of cheese will most likely go up regardless.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2206 posts
297 upvotes
Oh, I thought this was about the Southern US restaurant chain
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13394 posts
2207 upvotes
Toronto
BigJonsson wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:48 pm
Oh, I thought this was about the Southern US restaurant chain
Okay, I added the word "Cheese" to the subject line. Hope that makes things more clear.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3307 posts
1948 upvotes
North Vancouver
The quality went down years ago. I doubt they could make it much worse than it already is.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13394 posts
2207 upvotes
Toronto
scv wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:06 pm
The quality went down years ago. I doubt they could make it much worse than it already is.
What are you comparing Cracker Barrel to?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3307 posts
1948 upvotes
North Vancouver
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 11:04 pm
What are you comparing Cracker Barrel to?
My memories of Cracker Barrel, and other brands. It used to be quite distinct. Now, it's hard to tell any difference between them and something like Armstrong or even Great Value. The extra old white cheddar is a bit better, but even that has very little character. To me, it's just a cheaper cheese that I only buy when on sale. It makes me wish that we could get Tillamook in Canada.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3358 posts
1222 upvotes
Parmalat only makes 1 good line of cheese - Balderson. Crackle Barrel used to be good, but that was a long time ago.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13394 posts
2207 upvotes
Toronto
scv wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 11:21 pm
My memories of Cracker Barrel, and other brands. It used to be quite distinct. Now, it's hard to tell any difference between them and something like Armstrong or even Great Value.
badOne wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 11:42 pm
Parmalat only makes 1 good line of cheese - Balderson. Crackle Barrel used to be good, but that was a long time ago.
Sounds like a deliberate act to boost sales for Balderson. Now why on earth do they need a Balderson, Black Diamond AND a Cracker Barrel??
I think Black Diamond is about to become process cheese only very soon...
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4639 posts
1657 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 10:58 am
Sounds like a deliberate act to boost sales for Balderson. Now why on earth do they need a Balderson, Black Diamond AND a Cracker Barrel??
I think Black Diamond is about to become process cheese only very soon...
I doubt BD will go plastic cheese only: shrinking market. Millennials don't like process cheese

Balderson has a number of longer aged cheeses that Cracker Barrel and Black Diamond don't have; it is a distinctly premium brand.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13394 posts
2207 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 11:15 am
I doubt BD will go plastic cheese only: shrinking market. Millennials don't like process cheese

Balderson has a number of longer aged cheeses that Cracker Barrel and Black Diamond don't have; it is a distinctly premium brand.
Distinctly premium is one thing, but the rest is the rest right? What will the NEW difference be between Black Diamond and Cracker Barrel if both are going to stick around as a brick cheese format?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7740 posts
1036 upvotes
Toronto
I'll probably continue to buy Selection brand from Food Basics/Metro.
Luckily I brought back a stash from the US last time I visited.
Cracker Barrel aged reserve and cabot habanero and Pepper Jack.
Will last me a couple months.