Page 1 of 1

crackling sounds under carpet 2nd floor

Posted: May 18th, 2007 12:57 pm
by nasersid
My upstairs landing which is carpetted started crackling sounds whenevr someone steps on specific areas may be the wood base panels underneath are getting lose. How to fix this can i remove carpet and put more nails to make it sit tight or change the wood pieces on the 2nd floor foundation. House is only 3 years old so need a quick way to fix it. Please any expert advise will help.

Thanks

Re: crackling sounds under carpet 2nd floor

Posted: May 18th, 2007 4:16 pm
by sunnybono
nasersid wrote: My upstairs landing which is carpetted started crackling sounds whenevr someone steps on specific areas may be the wood base panels underneath are getting lose. How to fix this can i remove carpet and put more nails to make it sit tight or change the wood pieces on the 2nd floor foundation. House is only 3 years old so need a quick way to fix it. Please any expert advise will help.

Thanks
Most likely the subfloor under the carpet was nailed down and thus the nail has either come loose or the head of the nail broke. Once you get under the carpet use a wood screw to hold the floor board down.!!!

sk

Re: crackling sounds under carpet 2nd floor

Posted: May 18th, 2007 9:08 pm
by Neil
I saw a repair system on 'Ask this old house'

It consisted of these special screws with break away heads.

You drill them right through the carpet using a supplied jig to get them to the perfect depth. Then you snap off the screw heads. The shaft is designed so the screw breaks off below the wood surface, so you have nothing sticking up.

Probably not cheap, but slick and useful if you can't pull up the carpet.