• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 6:52 pm
[OP]
Sep 1, 2010
42 posts
1 upvote
GTA

Cracks on basement floor?

I noticed cracks on my basement floor. There were no cracks or it was hidden under newly painted floor 2 yrs ago when I got this 7 yrs old house in 2016.
Cracks are like spider cracks in all areas.
Also, I noticed one crack on foundation but no leak. I am not sure it was there before or not.
Do I need to worry and take some action or wait and see any other symptoms?
My house has ravine on the back, does it have more risk of cracks than other houses with no ravine?
4 replies
Mar 13, 2006
50 posts
24 upvotes
Bowmanville
After a couple really cold winters, my basement floor did the same. I am not an expert, but in all research and discussion with those whose knowledge I do trust, there's no concern.

If you detect moisture or the cracks continue to grow in size, then you may wish to seek an expert opinion.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1131 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
All concrete will crack. Likely nothing to worry about but post some photos and you may get a more definitive answer.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6093 posts
749 upvotes
Basement floors always crack. I assume that builders pour a low grade cement there since the basement floor serves no purpose other than to give you something nice and smooth to walk on. The house itself is supported by the concrete footings which run around the perimeter of the house.

My previous new house had a lot of cracks forming in the first year. I assumed that they were due to the concrete drying/hardening process. After about the first year or two I noticed no new cracks forming in the next 20 years I lived there.
Mar 14, 2006
945 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
That is normal to have cracks on the concrete.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)