• May 4th, 2017 11:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4525 posts
191 upvotes
luckystrike1 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 8:52 am
Go buy some "Sea Foam " gas/engine treatment and follow directions for putting in gas. Add a bit more than recommended. Let sit for a bit then go out and cut your grass for a while to give it a good use.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Any idea whether this will void a lawnmower warranty (in general), in case it doesn't solve the issue? If it doesn't work, I may end up bringing it in.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7794 posts
1874 upvotes
Brampton
I expect to see more and more of these kinds of threads as more millennial become home owners and have never learned handyman skills.

Traditionally 4 stroke engine mowers and other gas appliances need the following each season.

Fresh oil (oil changes are suggested at least every season or I've seen every 15-50hours of operation) check your manual.

The airfilter needs to be cleaned often. (Mine says every other mow) its a small piece of foam so it's easily cleaned.

For ease of start a fresh spark plug every season. In the old days you'd pull it inspect, clean and gap it. Again check the manual.

Carbs used to need cleaning and tuning once a season but they're better made now and we have better gas.

Tuning and maintaining engines used to be a common skill but with cars the way they are, it's a dying common skill.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5245 posts
1445 upvotes
Kootenays
The little foam inserts that act as an air cleaner often get plugged up. It will drop the power immensely.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2857 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
tebore wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 6:54 pm

Carbs used to need cleaning and tuning once a season but they're better made now and we have better gas.
I 1000% disagree with this statement. The ethanol in our fuel gums up small carbs and disintegrates fuel lines like nobodies business. Years of running sleds without incident ended a few years back when you can't choose no ethanol anymore. Rotten fuel lines are the norm now with any engine that sits.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7794 posts
1874 upvotes
Brampton
Jerico wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 12:27 am
I 1000% disagree with this statement. The ethanol in our fuel gums up small carbs and disintegrates fuel lines like nobodies business. Years of running sleds without incident ended a few years back when you can't choose no ethanol anymore. Rotten fuel lines are the norm now with any engine that sits.
You're right.

I forgot about Ethanol. That's the devils gas. I avoid it in small engines
I'm still able to get Ethanol free top tier gas via shell 91. So I can avoid gumming and varnish.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2857 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
tebore wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 7:21 am

I forgot about Ethanol. That's the devils gas. I avoid it in small engines
I'm still able to get Ethanol free top tier gas via shell 91. So I can avoid gumming and varnish.
VARNISH! That's the thing I couldn't think of when I posted that last night. Stupid carbs are full of it now... I went electric with my string trimmer as I was going through engines like there is no tomorrow. Just didn't use it enough, carbs too small to clean. Conversely, the electric is amazing. Starts every time.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Nov 16, 2011
268 posts
89 upvotes
HAMILTON
Sea Foam will not affect warranties. Is good to clean our carbs and to deal with ethanol.

I use is all the time in my lawn tractor and weed eater to deal with the crap gas we get nowdays.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7794 posts
1874 upvotes
Brampton
Jerico wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:03 am
VARNISH! That's the thing I couldn't think of when I posted that last night. Stupid carbs are full of it now... I went electric with my string trimmer as I was going through engines like there is no tomorrow. Just didn't use it enough, carbs too small to clean. Conversely, the electric is amazing. Starts every time.
Ethanol gumming aside

I find gas these days especially top tier gas when it's Ethanol free has significantly less issue with varnish and carbon than I used to. Which lead me to my comment about better gas these days.

But ethanol is a NIGHTMARE for small engines. I got a free gas trimmer because it was all gummed. I replaced lines flushed and soaked everything with fresh gas then ran sea foam thru it and it works like a champ now. Replaced the plug after sea foam of course.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4525 posts
191 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 6:55 pm
Maybe the carb is gummed up and needs cleaning. Try running it without the air filter and see if that makes a difference.
Tried taking off the air filter today. The piece looked like this and was completely clean:

https://www.cheaponlineparts.com/lawnmo ... on&id=3647

It still took about 4-5 pulls to start with the air filter off. Once it started, it would die in about 3-4 seconds.

Perhaps next step is to try Sea Foam?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9746 posts
338 upvotes
Brampton
Arrow wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:29 pm
Tried taking off the air filter today. The piece looked like this and was completely clean:

https://www.cheaponlineparts.com/lawnmo ... on&id=3647

Yea try the sea foam or some other type of carbeurator cleaner. They sell some that you spray directly into the intake. Maybe some varnish caused a clog.
It still took about 4-5 pulls to start with the air filter off. Once it started, it would die in about 3-4 seconds.

Jul 19, 2014
995 posts
189 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Arrow wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:29 pm

Why don't you watch an tutorial
that would be a good next step .
Apr 3, 2008
92 posts
20 upvotes
Ajax
Stay away from Esso 91 unless you know for sure it doesn't have ethanol. Petro contains ethanol as well unless otherwise stated.

Shell 91 is known to be ethanol free and I've also heard Costco 91 is ethanol free but I would test both to make sure.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2857 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
rfranklin wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 11:45 am
Stay away from Esso 91 unless you know for sure it doesn't have ethanol. Petro contains ethanol as well unless otherwise stated.

Shell 91 is known to be ethanol free and I've also heard Costco 91 is ethanol free but I would test both to make sure.
How do you test for ethanol?

Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1658 posts
328 upvotes
Windsor
Clean the carb, and run proper fuel; ethanol be damned, higher octane fuel will result in less power, and those carbs are pretty questionable even with proper fuel. If you ran the carb "dry" of fuel in the fall, maybe a bit of corrosion is happening in there. As well, it sounds like the timing is wrong on the engine (which should basically be impossible without hitting a stump or rock); weird.

Might want to replace the plug as well; should be fine, but running like that, it won't be nice for long.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.