• Nov 25th, 2007 4:33 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 30, 2005
466 posts
6 upvotes
Scarborough

Craigslist Overpriced!

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed how people are trying to sell things for way above what they're worth on Craiglist?

Check this out:

13" 2 ghz MacBook for $1250:
http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/sys/488312751.html

13" 2.16 ghz MacBook for $1500:
http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/sys/488223352.html

^ You can buy the above, but a 2.16 ghz processor as a refurb and get 1 year Applecare on the Apple Online Store for $999

There are too many examples to name, but it's all over, not just computers, we're talking musical instruments, furniture, everything. wtf is wrong with these people??
Share:
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7382 posts
684 upvotes
Better question is, what's wrong with the people who actually BUY these items.

And yes, people do.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11890 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't call Craigslist itself overpriced... it's the people that make up their so-called community. They have their reputation for a reason.
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
they are the same kind of people that bought say an original xbox with 10 games back in the days (i guess that's around 1000 buck) and try to sell it now at $600 :lol:

yeah, i've seen many cases of that on kijiji, lespac and sometimes on craigslist :|
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
29 upvotes
Tdot
how bout the chix on CL? :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2001
2698 posts
16 upvotes
CL'rs are just too cheap and lazy for ebay ;)
Gigabyte MA990FXA-UD3/FX 8350/MSI R9 270X/16GB Corsair Vengance/Win 7
Gigabyte 890GM-D2H/FX 8120/16GB Gskill/XFX 5770/Win 7
Heatware
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6166 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
blackhawk wrote:
Nov 25th, 2007 7:03 am
CL'rs are just too cheap and lazy for ebay ;)
This rich RFD`er calling some people cheap :lol: . I do not know but I think RFD`ers and CL`ers are equally cheap but RFD`ers take the cake.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6084 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
My friend was selling an xbox......he posted it on craigslist for maybe $80 or so more than what it was actually worth......

I asked him:

"Why don't you post this on RFD?"

he said:

"People on RFD are more knowledgeable...but I can always find a dumb buyer on craigslist willing to buy overpriced things"

:lol:

It's a buyer's fault for spending that much. RFD is in fact very more knowledgeable that craigslist as there's a community behind it to even tell people straight up when they are overpricing their items, as well as providing alternatives to buying it brand new from other stores.

But yeah if you need to make some extra $$$, sell it on craigslist :)
Banned
Dec 15, 2005
2286 posts
No different then people pricing poorly on used car classifieds or ads.

If you don't want to buy, simply ignore it.

If they don't sell for the seller, that's their problem and their time wasted.

At the same time, if you were to sell something, you wouldn't want to rip yourself off too.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28318 posts
823 upvotes
SwiZz wrote:
Nov 25th, 2007 10:52 am
My friend was selling an xbox......he posted it on craigslist for maybe $80 or so more than what it was actually worth......

I asked him:

"Why don't you post this on RFD?"

he said:

"People on RFD are more knowledgeable...but I can always find a dumb buyer on craigslist willing to buy overpriced things"

:lol:

It's a buyer's fault for spending that much. RFD is in fact very more knowledgeable that craigslist as there's a community behind it to even tell people straight up when they are overpricing their items, as well as providing alternatives to buying it brand new from other stores.

But yeah if you need to make some extra $$$, sell it on craigslist :)
I don't buy or sell on RFDs because frankly the people who buy and sell here are a pain in the ass to deal with. For example, if you're buying, you get snarky replies that you're "lowballing" if you offer anything other than the "asking" price. And if you're selling, you get into debates about what is "new" and what isn't.

Except for the thousands of offers to send me millions of dollars from Niagara, Craigslist is usually straight forward if you use some precautions.
Hail Eris!
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
-
Ummmm I guess none of you have heard of "haggling"? I buy stuff at Craiglist for half the price they're asking, so at the end it's cheap.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3079 posts
36 upvotes
1. Scalping is tolerated a lot more on CL than RFD. Yes, I know what the laws are, too, so don't start lecturing me for that. I don't do this on a regular basis, but I did manage to sell my Grey Cup tickets for a profit. I have also bought overpriced tickets for a Leafs game from CL in the past ... its all on a supply/demand basis.

2. I have bought stuff on CL ... local deals instead of s&h with ebay.
My Heatware: 100% positive
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2006
1042 posts
4 upvotes
I got a nice laptop for only $325. I was the 3rd owner, but it was a steal.

But yes, tonnes of overpriced stuff there. Just simply ignore it, I'm sure there are overpriced things on eBay too, so you just ignore it.

I dislike looking for things on RFD cuz everything is like Toronto. Pain in the ass when only 5% of things are in vancouver. and most people don't post the location of what they are selling.
Nov 22, 2004
578 posts
3 upvotes
At least on RFD, people are, for the most part, respectful and courteous.

I find on CL that 80% of the time people don't even have the courtesy to reply.. if u sold it, then hit the damn reply button and tell me.. or if my price is too high or my offer too low, again, have the freakin' courtesy to tell me that rather than just hitting delete!

Anyway, I just find that on RFD I have yet to have a problem in that respect.. but I think that's because RFD is less annonymous.. it's not just some redirecting email address..
--

C3

(o"()
× < >