• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2011 4:04 am
Tags:
None
Jul 20, 2004
82 posts
Montreal

craigslist telephone scam

If you are in the habit of listing your telephone number while placing ads on craigslist, then you should definitely read on. Spammers pretending to be calling on behalf of the Govt's Do Not Call List will tell you about some partnership between the Govt and Craigslist to setup this service. They'll ask you to hang up and listen carefully to the next call from 310-928-7055 (Craigslist activation call center) where an automated message will read out your 5-digit pin number. About 5 minutes later, the spammers will call again asking for the pin number. Under no circumstances should you give them this pin else your telephone number will be associated with a fake Craigslist account.

I was about to fall victim to this scam but once I heard them talk about craigslist and the Canadian govt, I couldn't make the connection and hung up pretty quickly. However they called me up again asking for my pin.
Share:
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8006 posts
1186 upvotes
London
Hmmm if you google "Craigslist Phone Verification Scam" you'll find this is becoming a common scam... but I can't find much mentioned about it on the official CL site. I'd like to read something "official" from CL about it.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
Just curious.

Assuming that you do tell them the PIN number from Craigslist that is needed to activate cragslist account, how will thwy use that?

I just don't see how they can use your phone number in their ads? Or how does it work?

Also, why does Craigslist need your phone number? Isn't it free, like Kijiji?
Nov 1, 2006
178 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto & Waterloo
Lulz wrote:
Dec 29th, 2009 4:55 am
Just curious.

Assuming that you do tell them the PIN number from Craigslist that is needed to activate cragslist account, how will thwy use that?

I just don't see how they can use your phone number in their ads? Or how does it work?

Also, why does Craigslist need your phone number? Isn't it free, like Kijiji?
They are using the PIN to create craiglist accounts, better known as PVAs (phone verified accounts). These accounts are then used to mass post posts on craigslist, aka spam craigslist. Craigslist is asking for your phone number when you sign up so they could reduce spam. Ironic, but this is how these spammers are overcoming this barrier by craigslist.
Feb 15, 2003
7 posts
Toronto
So my genius sister fell for the scam while visiting my parents, and aside from calling the hot line number we found to report the scam, is there anything else that can be done?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
50 upvotes
GT-eh
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2007
2320 posts
2 upvotes
user01 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 1:48 am
lmao
Dec 11, 2006
413 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
This was a new one, so I just googled it up and found this thread on RFD, here's what happened, similar to OP

Got a call from an indian/pakistani guy claiming to be calling from Government of Canada and how they are calling about 'Do Not Call List' where your number will need to be given a 5 digit verification code which I will get once he hangs up (through another call). This douche's number did not show up on my caller ID, it showed up as 'Unknown Caller' I am with Rogers, any way I can get this guy's number?

So anyways, I play along, and I get the automated call from Craigslist saying how to give my verification number to anyone, I write it down. The douche calls back again asking for the number, so I tell him what does Craigslist have to do with Gov't of Canada and after him much pleading, I tell him straight up that this is a scam and he tells me to '**** off' lol

Upon doing some more research on Google, it seems these Craigslist verification are required for posting erotic services? Anyways, I'd like to get back at this douche somehow

Edit - more on this http://www.frugalcanadianliving.com/200 ... -scam.html
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3350 posts
65 upvotes
I would hv gave him a random number... So he'll just waste his time trying to confirm it. =P (i.e. 677910)
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Jan 23, 2005
120 posts
1 upvote
Surrey
i had this dude call me yesterday and say he was calling from CRTC. call display showed no number. he said to give him the craigslist number. I didnt bother giving him the number.

what a scammer. sheesh
Dec 27, 2006
547 posts
1 upvote
I just wanted to say that I fell for this stupid scam a couple of days ago at my friend's office. :cry: He has his own small real estate brokerage and since no one else was there but us two, he told me to mind his shop for an hour or so as he went out to do some business.

Shortly after someone called the office and told me that he was calling to let my friend know that he was going to get some type of inspection from Reco. But then he tells me I'm going recieve an automated call and that I should give him the number after. So automated call comes in, I get the pin and then I felt something might've been wrong when craigslist was mentioned by the automated voice. But then when that guy called back, I gave him the pin anyways. :o

He tried to get me to find more numbers for him to verify, but luckily I didn't find anymore and it wasn't until I hung up and that I thought about it for a couple of minutes did I realise that it was probably a scam. So I'm wondering if me falling for this stupid scam will hurt my friend in any way?
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
2949 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Im shocked at the willingness for RFDrs to fall for these types of scams. When I get a phone call on my cell phone upon which I dont know whos calling, I say "who is this?". Unless the answer is "its so and so, we met on friday, whats up, etc... I just hang up. Ive gotten phone calls from the police before, even them knowing my name and address (well address on file) and I just tell them theres no way I can verify you're a cop over the phone, and simply hang up on them, after I let them know they wasted 1 of my monthly minutes. Also if somebody calls and says "hi is this "my name". I always say maybe.. whos calling. Never admit to being anybody or even listen to anybody you don't know. Remember, owning a cell phone is NOT a law, therefore any calls you get on it, is your choice to ignore.

If some1 called claiming to be from the cdn government I would also hang up on them. Theres no reason in the world they should be calling me ever. If they have something important to tell me, Ill wait for an official document in the mail.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3078 posts
224 upvotes
Just got a ****** call, claiming from Bell, something about stopping telemarketers. Then he wants to me to write down a verification number I hear when I get a callback. I remembered reading this post, so I wasted 10mins of his time and then pissed him off lol. Either way, I reported this moron to Bell, they said they will followup.
Feb 17, 2010
994 posts
20 upvotes
Engi-Nir wrote:
Jul 26th, 2010 11:33 pm
Just got a ****** call, claiming from Bell, something about stopping telemarketers. Then he wants to me to write down a verification number I hear when I get a callback. I remembered reading this post, so I wasted 10mins of his time and then pissed him off lol. Either way, I reported this moron to Bell, they said they will followup.
Nice.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1312 posts
60 upvotes
Ottawa
I would so mess with this guy if he called me.

"Do you have the pin?"
"yes, I do."
"ok."
"...."
"...well what is it?"
"I can't tell you, they said it was private."
(5 mins later)
"Ok, it's 3749F"
"did you say 'F'?"
"yes."
"That can't be right. It's supposed to be numeric."
"Oh, no, I'm quite certain. I was listening very carefully. 3749F."

Man. I'm almost hoping one of them calls me now.
× < >