[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11983 posts
2854 upvotes
Ottawa
c_snapper wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 11:34 am
it's a blessing in disguise. now your wife doesn't have to use a shitty basic bitch purse.

go to Holts and get her a Goyard. sure, the ladies at the Walmart check out lane won't be fawning over it, but you're buying a quality product with the same pedigree (if not more) than LV.
Will check them out.
flyingnurse wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 1:07 pm
Do other women even give a shit about what purse another woman has?

If I see a dude walking in front of me in some high end clothes or has a $1000 wallet I wouldn't even think anything. On the other hand, if someone rolls up in a lambo or GTR then I am impressed.

OP go to The Bay and get your lady a nice $80 purse.
I can't speak for other women, but my wife gets lots of unsolicited comments from other random women all the time on her clothes, purses, nails, jewellery. Secondly, my wife never buys anything to specifically to impress other people, but if other people notice it and give complements, it's a bonus. She doesn't mind paying $ if the product is of top quality and well made.

As for buying a $80 purse, we've spent time looking at a lot of bags at The Bay before, and there weren't any she liked.

Some women are particularly picky about stuff like this and I can't just go to any random store and find her "The Perfect Purse", just like she can't randomly walk into any Audio-Electronics store and choose "The perfect headphones" for me.

Lastly, I already mentioned in the OP that I think that LV goods are overpriced, but it's the purse SHE wanted, and that's why it would have made a great present for HER. I'm not going to second guess her choice.
Last edited by warpdrive on Jan 3rd, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4727 posts
750 upvotes
flyingnurse wrote:
Try to get out more instead of staying in the basement playing video games.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1904 posts
603 upvotes
Brampton, ON
mebiuspower wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 1:58 pm
Ouch, I am asking a serious question.

Are you a woman who gives a shit about what other people wear? If you answer yes, then why do you give a shit?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12328 posts
1852 upvotes
City of Vancouver
People care about aesthetics, and it isn't a gender or fashion thing. It could be caring about how the other houses in your neighbourhood look, how other lawns and gardens look, how a hotel lobby looks, etc. Why do u think there are bylaws on what u can have on your front lawn?
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2006
1203 posts
59 upvotes
Woodbridge
c_snapper wrote:
it's a blessing in disguise. now your wife doesn't have to use a shitty basic bitch purse.

go to Holts and get her a Goyard. sure, the ladies at the Walmart check out lane won't be fawning over it, but you're buying a quality product with the same pedigree (if not more) than LV.
Heh... I have been noticing more of the canvas Goyard bags around the GTA. I guess people are trying to be "different" and go with the Goyard pattern now. I wonder how long it will take before the next new thing comes.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11039 posts
2448 upvotes
Montréal
flyingnurse wrote:
mebiuspower wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 1:58 pm
LOL, dude, that's harsh! Cmon :D

Ya, they definitely do. Women love to chk out the competition.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7532 posts
1436 upvotes
Had a similar experience with the Ferragamo site lost the order and on top of that they charged for "2 days delivery" rush but then I was told it take them typical "1 week" to process the order anyways...

I think these high end brands have zero interest in running their online store. Burberry was much better online service but they shipped us some obviously damaged and opened box shoes as well.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Jul 6, 2008
879 posts
208 upvotes
GTA
louis vuitton is great, but there is so much fake crap out there.. people think ur real stuff is fake too
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12328 posts
1852 upvotes
City of Vancouver
hdom wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 10:38 pm
...Burberry was much better online service but they shipped us some obviously damaged and opened box shoes as well.
Too bad u didn't do an unboxing video for youtube!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Oct 9, 2011
306 posts
84 upvotes
flyingnurse wrote:

If I see a dude walking in front of me in some high end clothes or has a $1000 wallet I wouldn't even think anything. On the other hand, if someone rolls up in a lambo or GTR then I am impressed.
Yes, women pay attention to other peope's clothes, bags, make up but not necessarily "checking out competition", more like checking out who has good senses or "I like that bag/shoes/jacket". Your comparison is legit, but it just means men and women are different.Woman don't really care about cars, men don't care about fashion. You don't understand why women buy expensive bags, women don't understand why men buy expensive cars.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1822 posts
457 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
flyingnurse wrote:
Yes, they do.

My wife works with affluent clients in her profession. She has been explicitly told that she was chosen to do the job a few times based on her designer bags and shoes over other just as capable and qualified women in her line of work - but, they didn't give that good first impression so they were not chosen. Just as I judge candidates when I interview them in my profession based on how they look and dress. Her $100 bag from The Bay was not cutting it anymore if she wants to land those high affluent clients.

In short, yes, it does matter in the real world. You can lie to yourself and say first impressions do not matter, but they one hundred percent do.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1904 posts
603 upvotes
Brampton, ON
JKKim2983 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2017 8:12 pm
Yes, they do.

My wife works with affluent clients in her profession. She has been explicitly told that she was chosen to do the job a few times based on her designer bags and shoes over other just as capable and qualified women in her line of work - but, they didn't give that good first impression so they were not chosen. Just as I judge candidates when I interview them in my profession based on how they look and dress. Her $100 bag from The Bay was not cutting it anymore if she wants to land those high affluent clients.

In short, yes, it does matter in the real world. You can lie to yourself and say first impressions do not matter, but they one hundred percent do.
So your wife got the job because other women did not have highend bags and clothing or because they did not leave a good first impression NOT based on their clothing ??

I get the concept of dressing your best for an interview and that is a given. I was more referring to just walking down the street and getting jelly over another woman's hand bag.
Oct 26, 2016
495 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
c_snapper wrote:
go to Holts and get her a Goyard.
Becks wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 1:34 pm
Ya. For example, if someone was wearing a Goyard, I'd think it was ugly.
Lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12328 posts
1852 upvotes
City of Vancouver
JKKim2983 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2017 8:12 pm
...My wife works with affluent clients in her profession. She has been explicitly told that she was chosen to do the job a few times based on her designer bags and shoes over other just as capable and qualified women in her line of work - but, they didn't give that good first impression so they were not chosen.
That is so lame. That's like saying Adele should not be given radio airplay because she's fat. So, let's play some more Selena Gomez.