• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2022 9:21 am
Tags:
None
Mar 5, 2009
295 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal
OptiSoc wrote: Wow you totally went full tart and pulled a bull out of your rear end (pun intended).

Let me dumb this down for you. For the safety of the general public, the rear of the car should ALWAYS have the best grip. In case of a tyre change, the better (meaning higher grip/better tread) tyre should be at the back. This is because in case of any kind of hydroplaning/oversteer/loss of grip situations, the rear would maintain stability better than the front. Yes, the car would understeer, but at least when it happens you know you are going too fast for the conditions. Most drivers, even the less technically inclined, should be able to correct an understeer situation. Things are NOT the same with oversteer, since it requires precision steering and great knowledge of vehicle physics to not screw up and overcorrect.

On Front wheel drive cars, the driven wheels CHANGE the direction the car is going, but the rear wheels maintain the stability to get round the corner/go a straight line. If the rear wheels are unable to maintain traction, the front wheels can do nothing to stop the car from losing control.

Next time before you want to spew any more of those false information, perhaps at least do a revision high school physics and drive an actual car beforehand. Kthxbye.
If you'd read a little better rather then burn what little brain power you have left on lame comments, you'd see that I put the argument for talentless, physics challenged drivers (since you're such a fan of less grip where its needed for optimal performance, I'll include you in that group), in the first sentence. Of course kids who dont know how to drive should be forced to use training wheels (more grip where its not useful to remain in optimal control of your vehicle).

Spew miss information lol, you're all buying into the nanny state mentality that neuters any performance gains from putting grip where it belongs. The bigger problem is that instead of teaching people how to drive properly and within the vehicles limits, they hand out driving licenses in cracker jack boxes, so any halfwit can get behind the wheel without recognizing the proper driving techniques to be an apt and aware driver, and consequently because of the appalling driving conditions\accidents that the halfwits cause, the government has to step in and tell everyone to literally rob your car of handling ability, neutering any advantage the vehicle would have in case of an emergency avoidance maneuver, they'll just simply plow into said obstacle without even a chance of driving around it.

Please put a big sticker in the front of your car that way i know to switch lanes if i see you in my mirror, that way i know i wont be rear ended when your grip-less front tires simply cant cope with the inertial momentum in the car and slide into the poor sap you're going to violate from behind, since im sure you're driving some old rust bucket without all the nanny electronic aids that literally will not let you loose control regardless of where the best tires are, abs included (that right there nullifies whatever counter argument you can think off).

[IMG]http://31.media.tumblr.com/d5ef7e0bddfb ... o1_400.gif[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3661 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
WTF Guys

What kind of loser just change two tires at the sames time

Your not 18 years old anymore, just change the 4 and be done with it.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
I'm going to have to try spinning some donuts in a mall car park next time we get heavy rain. I've never experienced this loss of rear traction in my years of driving, even in winter. I assume that's due to my engineering knowledge of momentum keeping me from doing anything stupid, but who knows? (I used to ride a road bicycle to class at university, even in winter in snow - so long as you keep moving in the direction you want to go, with no sudden change in steering, there's no issue. Of course my bicycle wasn't moving at particularly high speed though).
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1775 posts
823 upvotes
Bummer's Roost
Yeah, Nexun tires are crap with a capital "K".
May 11, 2015
102 posts
20 upvotes
Unionville, ON
RMachucaA wrote: If you'd read a little better rather then burn what little brain power you have left on lame comments, you'd see that I put the argument for talentless, physics challenged drivers (since you're such a fan of less grip where its needed for optimal performance, I'll include you in that group), in the first sentence. Of course kids who dont know how to drive should be forced to use training wheels (more grip where its not useful to remain in optimal control of your vehicle).

Spew miss information lol, you're all buying into the nanny state mentality that neuters any performance gains from putting grip where it belongs. The bigger problem is that instead of teaching people how to drive properly and within the vehicles limits, they hand out driving licenses in cracker jack boxes, so any halfwit can get behind the wheel without recognizing the proper driving techniques to be an apt and aware driver, and consequently because of the appalling driving conditions\accidents that the halfwits cause, the government has to step in and tell everyone to literally rob your car of handling ability, neutering any advantage the vehicle would have in case of an emergency avoidance maneuver, they'll just simply plow into said obstacle without even a chance of driving around it.

Please put a big sticker in the front of your car that way i know to switch lanes if i see you in my mirror, that way i know i wont be rear ended when your grip-less front tires simply cant cope with the inertial momentum in the car and slide into the poor sap you're going to violate from behind, since im sure you're driving some old rust bucket without all the nanny electronic aids that literally will not let you loose control regardless of where the best tires are, abs included (that right there nullifies whatever counter argument you can think off).

[IMG]http://31.media.tumblr.com/d5ef7e0bddfb ... o1_400.gif[/IMG]
This guy is beyond repair. Off to the landfill for this one.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2014
1015 posts
227 upvotes
Unionville, ON
OP your nails are too big (assuming you're a guy). Why don't you cut them? Don't be lazy.
Pentium 1 166 Mhz | 32 Mb Edo Ram | Seagate 1.4 Gb Ide Hard disk | 3dFX Voodoo1 Pci Video Card | 250W PSU | SoundBlaster Pro sound card | 14" SVGA Monitor
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1578 posts
816 upvotes
GTHA
Me262A1 wrote: I had the same cracking, but this time in-between treads. They were Nexen and they were the original tires that came when I bought my car brand new. Had under 40k/4years. Contacted nexen and they gave me just under $200. Used that to buy a set of all-weather.

Generally original tires on new cars are terrible.
Bumping a very old thread ...

What would you do about these tires with cracks in the sipes - see pic. Crack runs about half way around the circumference of the tire.

They are OEM Nexen NPriz AH8 from a 2019 Hyundai Kona with 18K km. Car is garaged most of the time sheltered from the elements. I don't know the DOT manufacture date (car is not mine and in another city far away) but being OEM they should be approx same age as the car.

There is a warranty per Nexen website but seems like a hassle to file, compensation would be pro-rated and I'd have to buy Nexen tires again. Hyundai forums have lots of complaints about Nexen. The guy I quoted (from another thread) above got $200.

Safe to drive?
Just take the hit and replace the tires without claiming?
Images
  • Capture.JPG
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4777 upvotes
Ontario
Been very happy with my Nexen N5000 aftermarket tires but then I have not been rock crawling with them.

They were good value and are in great shape for age.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RETD wrote: Bumping a very old thread ...

What would you do about these tires with cracks in the sipes - see pic. Crack runs about half way around the circumference of the tire.

They are OEM Nexen NPriz AH8 from a 2019 Hyundai Kona with 18K km. Car is garaged most of the time sheltered from the elements. I don't know the DOT manufacture date (car is not mine and in another city far away) but being OEM they should be approx same age as the car.

There is a warranty per Nexen website but seems like a hassle to file, compensation would be pro-rated and I'd have to buy Nexen tires again. Hyundai forums have lots of complaints about Nexen. The guy I quoted (from another thread) above got $200.

Safe to drive?
I've had tires crack like that after 4 years. They are belted so there shouldn't be a blow-out. Just monitor them and once the cracks are the full width of the tire then it might be a good time to replace.
Jul 19, 2022
921 posts
1265 upvotes
That's quite strange, as the crack is happening in only one spot.

If the cause was age, material, etc. then there would be cracks on every sipe.

I am thinking this could be manufacturing defect.
RETD wrote: Bumping a very old thread ...

Safe to drive?

Old man Whitfield
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1578 posts
816 upvotes
GTHA
EP32k2 wrote: I've had tires crack like that after 4 years. They are belted so there shouldn't be a blow-out. Just monitor them and once the cracks are the full width of the tire then it might be a good time to replace.
My worry would be the crack spreads around the entire circumference with the outer shoulder separating as an entire ring.

MisterWhitfield wrote: That's quite strange, as the crack is happening in only one spot.

If the cause was age, material, etc. then there would be cracks on every sipe.

I am thinking this could be manufacturing defect.
If you look carefully there are several cracks on the tread shoulder - they look like small cuts but they are defects. Web searches show similar faults on these tires.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6386 upvotes
Vancouver
I hasy nexen winguard sport tires on my golf r for winter wheels, didn't have any problems.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
RETD wrote: My worry would be the crack spreads around the entire circumference with the outer shoulder separating as an entire ring.

If you look carefully there are several cracks on the tread shoulder - they look like small cuts but they are defects. Web searches show similar faults on these tires.
From your picture it looks like the tires are either defective or the suspension is off causing some odd inner tire wear. I'd get it inspected. If you caught it in the first year/10k Hyundai should have taken care of everything without even the prorating.

That all said my recent Experience with Nexen tires has been really really poor. They're worse than the Chinese tires from Walmart.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1578 posts
816 upvotes
GTHA
tebore wrote: From your picture it looks like the tires are either defective or the suspension is off causing some odd inner tire wear. I'd get it inspected. If you caught it in the first year/10k Hyundai should have taken care of everything without even the prorating.

That all said my recent Experience with Nexen tires has been really really poor. They're worse than the Chinese tires from Walmart.
Here's the thing. My 90 yo FIL who lives 5 hrs away owns the car. He takes it in for all the BS servicing pushed by the dealer.

His latest visit was essentially an $800 oil change. They inspected the tires, said it had abnormal wear and did an alignment. This on a car with less than 18K km. They inspected the tires yet failed to see or note the big crack in the pic and all the defects in the other tires. They should be the ones initiating the warranty work but instead choose to ding him for what was probably an unnecessary alignment.

BTW the shoulder with all the little cuts on it is the outer edge.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
RETD wrote: Here's the thing. My 90 yo FIL who lives 5 hrs away owns the car. He takes it in for all the BS servicing pushed by the dealer.

His latest visit was essentially an $800 oil change. They inspected the tires, said it had abnormal wear and did an alignment. This on a car with less than 18K km. They inspected the tires yet failed to see or note the big crack in the pic and all the defects in the other tires. They should be the ones initiating the warranty work but instead choose to ding him for what was probably an unnecessary alignment.

BTW the shoulder with all the little cuts on it is the outer edge.
They conned him.
Sadly lots of Hyundai/Kia dealers were old scammy GM Dealers, that were forced to find a new home when GM had to close dealer networks back in the 2009 restructure.
Their old habits of charging and not doing work carried over.

They should have easily caught this.
Those tires have a weird scrubbing pattern on the edge where the cracks are. It could be suspension or the tire is defective. I'm thinking a weird Toe issue on the alignment but without the report and the spec I can't say for sure.
May 6, 2013
943 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
Is it really worth cheaping out on the few inches your car contacts the road with? Almost as bad as buying a shi**y mattress IMO

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)