• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2015 7:28 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 18, 2007
299 posts
61 upvotes

Crate and Barrel Davis sofa

Was wondering if anyone has bought this or maybe the Axis II sofa from Crate and Barrel? http://www.crateandbarrel.com/davis-lea ... fa/s253206. There's a 15% off sale on now and I've bought the Davis and the matching chair. Delivery is 8 weeks away so I can cancel but I really like this sofa. I'm a bit concerned since they're made by McCreary Modern in N.C. and reviews on McCreary are all over the map. They say the frame is benchmade with "sustainable hardwood that's kiln dried" but some reviews say the frame is plywood? The gold standard for springs is hand tied but they use a "flexolator" system instead? I'd really like to buy something that will last a while at this price but now I'm not sure about this set being the one. As far as buying a sofa with a "hand tied spring system" the ones I've seen are all well over 3 grand. Am I missing something here or is buying a quality leather sofa sort of like shopping for mattresses which was probably the most painful thing I've ever shopped for.
8 replies
Banned
Apr 23, 2015
994 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Your expectations are way too high for a $2000 sofa. This sofa is only a notch above IKEA grade.
Apr 14, 2015
580 posts
175 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
I've seen instances where hardwood or solid wood refer to plywood. Also keep in mind hardwood is a botanical term, some hardwoods are as soft as pine, rubber wood for example.
Jan 18, 2007
299 posts
61 upvotes
Just above Ikea grade? Really? The sofa is 3 grand and the chair is $1900 but maybe your right. I've never shopped for a decent sofa and chair before so maybe you do have to pay well more than 3 grand for one using 8 way hand tied springs. I also just read on Consumer Reports not to place too much weight on spring systems used. Some "flexolator" type systems can be just as good as 8 way hand tying springs.
I think your right about hardwoods Operatime and laminates can be just as strong as a solid block anyways.
Apr 14, 2015
580 posts
175 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
Some people claim the laminated woods are less likely to warp as well, I don't really know how true it is.
When we looked at sofas it was all very confusing but Crate and Barrel didn't rate extremely high for quality from what I remember. It would probably be above Ikea but below a better brand from a good furniture store, and probably about the same as Lazyboy.
We ended up with a discounted floor model from a locally owned furniture store. I think it's better quality and it was a good price.
Jan 18, 2007
299 posts
61 upvotes
Operatime wrote: Some people claim the laminated woods are less likely to warp as well, I don't really know how true it is.
When we looked at sofas it was all very confusing but Crate and Barrel didn't rate extremely high for quality from what I remember. It would probably be above Ikea but below a better brand from a good furniture store, and probably about the same as Lazyboy.
We ended up with a discounted floor model from a locally owned furniture store. I think it's better quality and it was a good price.
It's all very confusing. Most of the reviews of McCreary Modern made furniture are 6 or 7 years old. Found a trade video on Vimeo showing the plant and manufacturing methods and it looks pretty impressive. https://vimeo.com/59747849. I just want a solid piece of furniture I don't have to toss after 10 years. Feeling better about it after seeing the video and haven't been able to find a Canadian manufacturer that uses 8 way hand tied springs anyways. I'm sure they're out there but going cross eyed searching and from what I've read so far it'll cost a lot more than a sofa from C and B anyways.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2596 posts
1987 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
A few things:

Any wood can become plywood. Plywood is a manufacturing term. All modern sofas (like, > circa 1900) should have a mostly plywood frame because it's far less prone to warping and is much stronger than an equivalent piece of solid wood.

The whole "8-way hand tied springs" thing is total bull crap. After buying from many manufacturers, the only thing that really matters is DON'T BUY IKEA and expect it to last.

Canadian manufacturers include Stylus and Birchwood.

C&B stuff good but you can find better deals elsewhere. The cad$ affects them greatly.
Jan 18, 2007
299 posts
61 upvotes
Sound advice. Checked out Stylus and Birchwood. Beautiful stuff and all of it custom for select stores which is fine but puts it out of my price range. Most stores carrying furniture similar to Crate and Barrel don't post prices online and that hurts (the ones I called for pricing are all over 3 grand). Think I'll stick with C and B as they stand by their products and McCreary Modern furniture has a lifetime guarantee.
Apr 4, 2006
474 posts
88 upvotes
Burlington
mainoffender wrote: It's all very confusing. Most of the reviews of McCreary Modern made furniture are 6 or 7 years old. Found a trade video on Vimeo showing the plant and manufacturing methods and it looks pretty impressive. https://vimeo.com/59747849. I just want a solid piece of furniture I don't have to toss after 10 years. Feeling better about it after seeing the video and haven't been able to find a Canadian manufacturer that uses 8 way hand tied springs anyways. I'm sure they're out there but going cross eyed searching and from what I've read so far it'll cost a lot more than a sofa from C and B anyways.
Barrymore furniture uses 8 way hand tied springs.
http://www.barrymorefurniture.com/uphol ... nstruction

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)