• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2017 6:12 pm
[OP]
Dec 2, 2014
337 posts
98 upvotes
London, ON

Creating a Grocery Meat Cheat Sheet

I’ve decided I want to make a “cheat sheet” I can share with my wife, family and friends to help them save money on buying meat at the grocery store. I was wondering if the RFD community wanted to crowdsource this with me?

I’ve started working backwards by adding in the lowest price per pound I’ve personally seen a particular cut at as a way to give a baseline for someone not as familiar with buying meat. The idea isn’t to only seek out the lowest price possible but to help give someone a ballpark range that they should be looking for.

I’ll continue to work on this and eventually update the OP with some nicely formatted PDF’s for anyone to use. If you’d like to contribute and help me fill out the list I’ve created a Google sheet that anyone with the link can edit. Just add in the prices and feel free to add in additional cuts.

I’ve also left fish entirely unprotected if anyone wants to chip away at that.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I’ll also include a list just below. You can either quote me, and change the dollar values, or just tell me what you’d pay per pound for a specific cut and I’ll include them in my averages for the final PDF. Also please feel free to add fish/shellfish in any responses.

Thanks everyone.

EDIT #1: Added additional items listed in thread, removed protection so the community can add comments/make changes (I have a backup in case anyone nefarious deletes it), and changed fish to price per 100 grams. I've also spoken with someone about adding additional sheets for dairy, produce, etc...

Beef
  • Chuck Roast
  • Chuck Blade Steak
  • Rib Roast - $5.77
  • Rib Steak
  • Top Loin Steak
  • T-Bone Steak
  • Beef Tenderloin (whole) - $8.99
  • Sirloin Steak - $4.97
  • Tip Steak
  • Tip Roast
  • Round Steak
  • Round Roast
  • Ground Beef (Regular) - $1.99

Chicken
  • Whole Chicken - $1.97
  • Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • Bone-in Chicken Breasts
  • Boneless/Skinless Chicken Thighs
  • Bone-in Chicken Thighs
  • Boneless/Skinless Drumsticks
  • Bone-in Drumsticks
  • Chicken Wings
  • Ground Chicken

Pork
  • Ham (cooked)
  • Tenderloin - $2.88
  • Picnic Shoulder
  • Cottage Roll
  • Chops
  • Spareribs
  • Steak
  • Ground Pork

Lamb
  • Shoulder
  • Rack
  • Ribs
  • Bone-In Leg - $4.44
  • Boneless Leg
  • Shank
  • Chops
Last edited by StarScream1337 on Jan 1st, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
250 replies
Feb 8, 2015
456 posts
128 upvotes
Last edited by magoot on Jan 1st, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
958 upvotes
You have to split your rib roast category into cap on and cap off at the very least. Bone in cap on also shows up. The $4.99/lb Metro stuff was cap on, I remember. The $5.77/lb I think was Loblaws and was cap off.

Sirloin Tip Roast goes for $3.99 or so and steaks are a bit more.

Round roast, there was a sale for some at $.99/lb but a couple weeks earlier it was $2.47/lb and this was the leftover. So the best flyer price is $2.47 and the best store-specific sale is $.99

Ground beef, I buy those plastic 4 x 400g logs...No Frills had them on for $6 this year which is $1.71/lb (They are usually $10/bag or $2.86/lb) but I would just say $1.99, close enough

Boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs are usually $3.99/lb on sale these days and I didn't personally get a better deal all year (and I was looking!)

Fresh chicken wings bottom out at $3.99 IMO but I got frozen seasoned (I mean brined not breaded) for $1.99/lb this year

Forgot pork loin roast - $1.44/lb was the best this year

Pork back or side ribs, I agree, $1.99/lb

Whole bone in ham best price this year was $1.47 (last year it was under $1, ham and bacon and pork prices swing a lot year to year)

Lamb you have to watch the Metro flyer for their NZ lamb deals - $2.99/lb bone in shoulder chops at least.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2014
337 posts
98 upvotes
London, ON
lecale wrote:
Jan 1st, 2017 6:41 pm
Ground beef, I buy those plastic 4 x 400g logs...No Frills had them on for $6 this year which is $1.71/lb (They are usually $10/bag or $2.86/lb) but I would just say $1.99, close enough
Awesome Lecale thanks for the help. This may be off-topic, considering I'm fixated on price, but do you ever find the meat in those tubes to be overground? I've had a few that came out like paste which isn't what you want when making burgers or in chilli so I'm wondering if it's the brand I've been choosing.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
958 upvotes
StarScream1337 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2017 7:04 pm
Awesome Lecale thanks for the help. This may be off-topic, considering I'm fixated on price, but do you ever find the meat in those tubes to be overground? I've had a few that came out like paste which isn't what you want when making burgers or in chilli so I'm wondering if it's the brand I've been choosing.
No, not your imagination/brand, they are absolutely fine like paste, but my other likes his food minced real small like a Pomeranian.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
958 upvotes
Oh, another one for you: chicken legs back attached (drumstick + thigh + back, also called a Maryland) $.79/lb to $.99/lb
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
958 upvotes
How about just tracking the lowest-seen prices starting in 2017?

I looked at the flyers upcoming Jan 5 and these are all stock-up deals:

Walmart Sirloin tip roast $2.97/lb ( a dollar cheaper than lower)

No Frills Pork Side Ribs $1.88/lb ($.10 lower)

No Frills Seaquest Basa fillets 400g $2.88 ($3.27/lb)

Food Basics Selection IQF cod fillets 400g $3.88 ($4.40/lb)

RCSS Whole pork leg $.98/lb
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4628 upvotes
It's a neat concept, but meat (especially beef) varies by season.
We're in a low season right now with $5-6/lb strips.
When summer rolls around you're looking at more like $12/lb.
I mean... technically you could spit it into Summer/Winter but that's a lot more work.

Also maybe I'm a snob but I won't buy ground meat anywhere but Cotsco.
Especially not Asian grocery stores. You pay less but that's because it's half cut with ice.
But even Loblaws compared to Costco sucks.
Poultry too. Also fish. Especially shrimp.
Actually there's really not too much I buy at Loblaws in terms of meat.
Dec 15, 2013
762 posts
133 upvotes
C A N A D A
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 9:33 pm
It's a neat concept, but meat (especially beef) varies by season.
We're in a low season right now with $5-6/lb strips.
When summer rolls around you're looking at more like $12/lb.
I mean... technically you could spit it into Summer/Winter but that's a lot more work.

Also maybe I'm a snob but I won't buy ground meat anywhere but Cotsco.
Especially not Asian grocery stores. You pay less but that's because it's half cut with ice.
But even Loblaws compared to Costco sucks.
Poultry too. Also fish. Especially shrimp.
Actually there's really not too much I buy at Loblaws in terms of meat.
Costco's ground beef really is on another level and worth the price of admission. They use really high quality beef in their chuck compared to the competition.

Once you start eating high quality meats from places like Costco and your local butcher (everyone should spend time looking around for one). I rather spend more to get better graded meats.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
958 upvotes
GhostBusters wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 11:24 pm
Costco's ground beef really is on another level and worth the price of admission. They use really high quality beef in their chuck compared to the competition.

Once you start eating high quality meats from places like Costco and your local butcher (everyone should spend time looking around for one). I rather spend more to get better graded meats.
I use less that 12 lbs ground beef a year, and when I do use it it's in something spiced and sauced (lasagne, chili) to the point I could be eating Calgary Zoo animals and I wouldn't know.

I tend to cook more meat in recipes than slab of meat, pile of starch and a veg. If I were focusing on a slab of meat with salt and pepper, I would care more. In a recipe, where the meat is alt least dressed up a bit more, I just need something good enough to do the job.

Depends on your eating style, anyway.
Jan 9, 2011
509 posts
239 upvotes
Vancouver
Nice list.
Fish is priced per 100g and not per pound (at least everywhere I buy it here in BC), so I think it would make sense to keep that in your chart. You can add this:

Wild sockeye salmon fillets $1.79/100g

You mentioned that the fish section in your list is unlocked, but I couldn't edit it.
Dec 15, 2013
762 posts
133 upvotes
C A N A D A
lecale wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 12:17 am
I use less that 12 lbs ground beef a year, and when I do use it it's in something spiced and sauced (lasagne, chili) to the point I could be eating Calgary Zoo animals and I wouldn't know.

I tend to cook more meat in recipes than slab of meat, pile of starch and a veg. If I were focusing on a slab of meat with salt and pepper, I would care more. In a recipe, where the meat is alt least dressed up a bit more, I just need something good enough to do the job.

Depends on your eating style, anyway.
So your saying quality of ingredients don't matter?

Quality of meat used always matters. Same with other ingredients.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
958 upvotes
GhostBusters wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 12:23 pm
So your saying quality of ingredients don't matter?

Quality of meat used always matters. Same with other ingredients.
If I have a tomato with a black spot I will carve that out, chop it up, and throw it in what I am making. Limp celery? Doesn't really matter once it's cooked or diced. Basket of bruised and moulding overripe peaches? Cut off the bad bits and make the best damn peak-of-ripeness peach pie you have ever had. And so on.

I think quality is over-hyped. All of the foods in Canada are excellent quality: we are lucky. There is no reason to believe that you need eat peak quality food at all times. I am very happy with regular quality.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
958 upvotes
I live with a guy who is like the princess and the pea, he is really fussy and sensitive when it comes to food. There is no way he will eat a roast from Walmart. I still want to know about the Walmart sales though so I can see which way meat is trending. Whether you buy the good stuff or the fancy stuff, it looks like beef continues to go down for 2017.

If you see the Walmart beef for $2.97/lb you should be able to add a couple dollars and extrapolate a reasonable price for AAA.

I do not stick to buying at the bottom end, but I want to know where it is.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel