mussels 908g $4.99 ($2.50/lb)
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3619 posts
651 upvotes
Sask.
Food Basics
Cook's bone-in natural ham $1.47
* about 10 lbs or $15 for a shank potion and a bit less for the butt.

Gee, so very lucky! Other years, we've been able to get this for under $4/kg. Cheapest next week is 5.50/kg (two store brands - wish it were Cook's), and I need it for Easter.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2962 posts
859 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
natalka wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 2:12 pm
Food Basics
Cook's bone-in natural ham $1.47
* about 10 lbs or $15 for a shank potion and a bit less for the butt.

Gee, so very lucky! Other years, we've been able to get this for under $4/kg. Cheapest next week is 5.50/kg (two store brands - wish it were Cook's), and I need it for Easter.
OMG do we need metric prices too? ;)

$2.49-$2.99/lb ($5.50-6.60/kg) everywhere else. Some years we have had $.99/lb ($2.20/kg) but the flyers seem to be pushing lamb and seafood this year. Oh well, we are off trend, we will have a ham because Cook's is our fave.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17720 posts
4427 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 11:15 am
I buy it fresh and put each breast in a ziploc sandwich bag then pack the lot in freezer bags.
Candidate for a chamber sealer.
Although if you're using sandwich bags you may never break even.
Plus I would imagine that you turn over your product quite frequently.
Then to defrost, just frozen sealed breasts in a bowl of cold water.

Running water is better. Doesn't have to be running fast, but a slow trickle is enough.
You want the convection.
lecale wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 11:59 am
Sobeys
beef tenderloin roast AAA $9.99/lb
striploin steaks AAA $9.99/lb
WTF?
Did people start listening to me and stop buying tenderloin?
Why is it so cheap relative to rib?
lecale wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 2:33 pm
Oh for the love of deity no.
I love the metric system except in 2 cases: Cooking temperatures and price per weight.
$/lb or $/oz for some reason makes more sense than $/g/100g/kg/etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3619 posts
651 upvotes
Sask.
lecale wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 2:33 pm

$2.49-$2.99/lb ($5.50-6.60/kg) everywhere else. Some years we have had $.99/lb ($2.20/kg) but the flyers seem to be pushing lamb and seafood this year. Oh well, we are off trend, we will have a ham because Cook's is our fave.
I do food in metric.
Got the Independent flyer yesterday - they have Cook's ham at 4.14/kg so that's where we will get ours.
Jul 20, 2012
362 posts
47 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I've been buying fresh chicken breasts from Walmart here in Vancouver. They have packs of Maple Leaf brand chicken breasts for $10 a pack with varying weights ranging from 0.7kg to 1.3kg. I always look for the heaviest and average about $10 for a 1.2kg pack which is about $3.79/lb.

fred koenig wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 10:55 am
We probably eat more frozen chicklen breast than anything else
Here in the Vancouver area of BC the normal sale price is $3 /lb. that is 26 something for a 4kg box.
we will buy about 4 boxes at that price if we have freezer room
we hope it goes on sale every 4-6 weeks.
this is from Safeway.
save-on sometimes has 3 and 4kg boxes that go for the same $3 per pound on a good sale.

occasionally if we cannot find any good sales we will get a box from Costco for more per pound.

US frozen chicken is strangely far too big pieces, it is not that much cheaper with the exchange and not worth it for us.

lately it has been hard to find a frozen sale but there has been fresh chicken breasts for $4/lb.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17720 posts
4427 upvotes
Discombobulator wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 2:45 pm
varying weights ranging from 0.7kg to 1.3kg.
I have to wonder if the person packing this is pants on head stupid or something.
How do you have a damn near 100% variance on your product weights when you're selling at a fixed price.

Then again... if you're paying $10 for a package and it's coming out at $4/lb that means some other sucker is paying the same $10 for half the volume which makes the retailer a buttload of money.

I just answered my own question....
That's freakin' crooked.
Jul 20, 2012
362 posts
47 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Yeah that's the way they do it at Walmart.
Today, all the Maple Leaf ones for $10 ranged between 0.7kg to 0.83kg. I really don't understand it, it's like they decreased the variability to a narrower range, but it's hit and miss; recently, some weeks it's between 0.7 to 1.3 as i mentioned, and some weeks the range is narrower. I'm really hoping they haven't "caught on" and reduced the weight going forward.

In any case, I was able to find Maple Leaf Prime fresh chicken breasts for $10 for a pack of 1.1kg which isn't ideal ($4.13/lb) but I've learned to bend over and accept the variability lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2962 posts
859 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Some notable prices at Metro this week...

Metro
prime rib roast AA chef style 5.44/lb
* think this means the bones are still there but the butcher has carved along them so slices are easy to remove? death_hawk, buddy, help.
rib steak AA $5.44/lb
prime rib roast AA "easy carve" (looks boneless?) $6.44/lb
NZ lamb leg (not halal) $3.99/lb
NZ lamb shoulder $4.49/b
deli Mammoth Chicken $7.99 1kg
* second biggest second best price deli chicken after Costco
mussels $2.29/lb
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17720 posts
4427 upvotes
Discombobulator wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 6:24 pm
Yeah that's the way they do it at Walmart.
Today, all the Maple Leaf ones for $10 ranged between 0.7kg to 0.83kg. I really don't understand it, it's like they decreased the variability to a narrower range, but it's hit and miss; recently, some weeks it's between 0.7 to 1.3 as i mentioned, and some weeks the range is narrower. I'm really hoping they haven't "caught on" and reduced the weight going forward.
Actually I'd be willing to bet this was their plan all along.
Know how everyone is shrinking products? Why not shrink your own products?
As long as the price remains the same, "no one" is the wiser.
My mom shops like this. She'll pick the cheapest one in the case because "it's cheapest"
Price per weight doesn't mean anything to her.
So get people used to the format and then shrink later on.
Plus no price matching because there's no price per weight and you can't say "Store down the street only has it for $9!"
lecale wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 7:36 pm
* think this means the bones are still there but the butcher has carved along them so slices are easy to remove? death_hawk, buddy, help.
rib steak AA $5.44/lb
prime rib roast AA "easy carve" (looks boneless?) $6.44/lb
Got me... every store has stupid names for things. It's not an "official" name as per the government http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/meat-a ... 471777#lmc
Based on the "easy carve" in the next line I'm going to assume bone in though.
Easy carve might be bone removed, but sold tied to the roast so you can remove it later and "easy carve" it.

To be honest... I have no idea.
If I were a chef, I'd buy boneless because bones cost money and are "terrible" bones for bone related purposes.
Unless I was featuring a bone in prime rib or something. Yeah at this point your guess is as good as mine.
Feb 9, 2009
304 posts
94 upvotes
natalka wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 7:38 am
Got the Independent flyer yesterday - they have Cook's ham at 4.14/kg so that's where we will get ours.
I'm not sure if there's any real value to a grocery cheat sheet that is scattered across several provinces with totally different population income and living conditions that greatly affect local prices. :rolleyes: Any thoughts?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17720 posts
4427 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 9:34 pm
I'm not sure if there's any real value to a grocery cheat sheet that is scattered across several provinces with totally different population income and living conditions that greatly affect local prices. :rolleyes: Any thoughts?
Seasons too.
For me it's neat to know what the rough benchmark is to see if I'm getting hosed.
Although I mostly read lecale's posts (and peanut gallery them) instead of the main thread because unless someone is updating every week it'll be useless for anything other than the most popular meats.

Also Toronto has some stupidly cheap stores.
I was going to go to Foody World in Richmond. Checked the flyer and everything.
Turns out that it's only Toronto and our prices were like double.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17720 posts
4427 upvotes
Speaking of cheap meat, Foody World in Toronto has chicken legs for $0.76/lb
Since OP seems to have abandoned the spreadsheet I have no basis of comparison but I vaguely remember that it's about a buck a pound at retail.
Then again.... this is also a 40lb case and probably not IQF.

I'm being helpful! /s
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2962 posts
859 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
arnycus wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 9:34 pm
Well Natalka's ham is $1.88/lb, ham did come down for the holiday.

I find it interesting that there are few turkey deals, everyone has lamb leg short cut around $4/lb. Economy must be doing better, because people are off the cheaper turkey and ham. There are also a lot of seafood offerings. Looking forward to see if this was the good week for sales and if only premium (e.g. beef steaks) come up next week. Or maybe we will be fighting over $.99 hams - lol not likely.

Are you in ontario?
Feb 9, 2009
304 posts
94 upvotes
I'm around, and prices often drop right after major holidays due to low store traffic and empty pockets, and fast approaching food stock expire dates. So, flyers aren't the only prices source, just use common sense and life experience if any. Astonished Face

Also when thinking about such giants as Loblaws, I wonder what is their real revenue stream given exorbitant number of various food chains under their umbrella, and what piece of that small pie their "founding fathers" are taking home? It must be just enough for a cheap holiday ham - what do you think? :)
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel