1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Slim picking this week for cheap meat.

Sobeys: fresh mussels 1.79/lb

Freshco: boneless skinless chicken breast 3.50/lb

Zehrs/Loblaws:
bone in whole pork shoulder .99/lb
pork side ribs 1.99/lb

I would do those cheap mussels with onion, garlic, splash of cheap white wine or diluted apple juice, a diced roma tomato, fresh parsley and a baguette for dipping. Come pick on me death_hawk.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4661 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 7:10 pm
Freshco: boneless skinless chicken breast 3.50/lb
Water or air?
For comparison, Costco is like $5.50/lb (even on sale) but air chilled.
Zehrs/Loblaws:
bone in whole pork shoulder .99/lb
Damn... that's pretty good.
I would do those cheap mussels with onion, garlic, splash of cheap white wine or diluted apple juice, a diced roma tomato, fresh parsley and a baguette for dipping. Come pick on me death_hawk.
Can't say anything bad. That's basically what I'd do.
Either that or curry thai....
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3764 posts
1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
I didn't report last week because it was such a bad week for being cheap.

This week:

No Frills
frozen boneless skinless (probably seasoned) chicken breast $2.00/lb
whole portions corn meal back bacon/cured pork loin $2.00/lb
Seaquest king crab or lobster "fake crab" 227g $2.00 ($4.00/lb)

Food Basics
fresh bone-in skinless chicken breast, $2.22/lb

Sobeys
Mussel King live mussels 907g $4.99 ($2.50/b)
*PEI, 10 minutes to cook, in season now

Walmart
Maple Leaf chicken legs back attached $1.47/lb*
* yes you really want to pay something like $.79-$.99/lb HOWEVER:
* Promotion: $5 pre-paid e-credit card with the purchase of 4... https://www.mapleleafmvp.ca/en/

Metro
lean ground beef $2.88/lb
Deli cooked Mammoth Chicken 1kg $7.99 (2/16-2/19) $3.63/lb
(Costco chicken is 1.2kg and stores go as low as 700g squabs; Metro is 2nd biggest chicken on the market I think)
Selection cod 400g $4.99
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4661 upvotes
HOLY crap when did beef go up again?
I was at Costco yesterday and it's back to $10+/lb for steak cuts.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2207 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
I thought the Marc Angelo sausages at Metro 2/$5 was a deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3764 posts
1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
beachlover wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 12:42 pm
I thought the Marc Angelo sausages at Metro 2/$5 was a deal.
They are 500g so $2.27/lb

There is also Butcher's Market sausage at $2.00/lb at No Frills.

I haven't covered a lot of the ground meats but I will try harder.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2207 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 12:58 pm
They are 500g so $2.27/lb

There is also Butcher's Market sausage at $2.00/lb at No Frills.

I haven't covered a lot of the ground meats but I will try harder.
The reason I consider paying a little more for Marc Angelo than a store brand is mostly the packaging. Not only is it not a huge package, I believe it's also packed in some inert gas allowing for longer best before dates. Additionally, I think they also offer a turkey sausage that I prefer.

I also think it's better to use that Maple Leaf promo with the Walmart whole chicken for $1.97/lb instead of chicken legs with back attached for $1.47/lb.
Last edited by beachlover on Feb 18th, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 4, 2015
789 posts
184 upvotes
Stouffville
Sort of on the lines of this thread - does anyone know of an app that keeps track of the lowest price you've spent on an item? I.E i can add my household items (laundry detergent, coffee, paper towels, etc, and add a price i paid, so when i'm out it'll alert me to a cheaper price?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3764 posts
1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
TagYoureIt wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 7:25 am
Sort of on the lines of this thread - does anyone know of an app that keeps track of the lowest price you've spent on an item? I.E i can add my household items (laundry detergent, coffee, paper towels, etc, and add a price i paid, so when i'm out it'll alert me to a cheaper price?
Well, for lowest price this week I recommend Sale Whale.

I'm getting my sense of prices from my own spreadsheets - I have entered every item I have bought and the store and price in a spreadsheet since 2010.

This actually started out for me as a health project - I wanted to see what kinds of food I was buying (facts over perception) and bring down the amount junk that I was buying. It is a good way to track your diet without the brutal detailed entry that you need to do for MyFitnessPal or the like. I buy about 125 grocery/household items a month so that's an average of entering 4 products a day vs. MyFitnessPal which can be really challenging because of the daily data entry you have to do. Actually, because many times I am buying a multiple of an item and can track that on one line, I'm doing even less entries than that.

Anyway, I recommend this approach. It is not as much work as it sounds.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4661 upvotes
TagYoureIt wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 7:25 am
I'm seriously tempted to write an inventory program.
The current ones on the market don't quite do it for me mostly because I want cross platform and remote db hosting.
This way I know what stock I have at home.

If you don't care about remote db hosting, you could probably use a POS that has inventory features.
They (should) have a price paid line.
it's kind of overkill but you could "sell" yourself your inventory to keep track of what you have at home too if you're a hoarder like me.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3764 posts
1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
I thought about doing this stuff in Access but I found that Excel gave far me more flexibility.

I have one workbook for each calendar year and I only do inventory once a year in December and then I do an analysis of where I am shopping, how much money I spent there, what points I earned and the return, my most frequently bought items, amount spent by category, how many bags of potato chips and lbs or fruit/veg I bought, that kind of thing. I have adapted what I track over the years so that now I have data to answer any kind of question the internet and me can think of.

I track:

Store,Date,Points Earned
Quantity,Brand,Variety/Flavour,Product
Price,
Price/lb, (in 2016 I tracked Weight in g/Volume in ml and Count)*
Taxable Y/N,Total Coupons,Total In-Store Discounts,Points Value Redeemed,
Net Price

* you can't get this off a receipt so it is fiddly info. You can only pick one fiddly item to track a year or you will drive yourself nuts.
Mar 24, 2016
239 posts
239 upvotes
scarborough
RCSS has prime rib steaks cap off . Canada AAA or USDA grade beef for $6.98/lbs. or $15.39/kg

I actually when to the one at Scarborough town and there were lots.. Didn't buy i found them way too thick (over an inch thick) and tons of fat. Marbling was nice thought.
Will go back later in the week to find thinner ones.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3764 posts
1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
explorer11 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 4:20 pm
RCSS has prime rib steaks cap off . Canada AAA or USDA grade beef for $6.98/lbs. or $15.39/kg

I actually when to the one at Scarborough town and there were lots.. Didn't buy i found them way too thick (over an inch thick) and tons of fat. Marbling was nice thought.
Will go back later in the week to find thinner ones.
I find my store puts thin ones out for the bargain hunters/flyer addicts on Thursdays/Fridays, thick ones on the weekend for the mainstream shopper that doesn't mind a higher total price per tray. It sounds bizarre, but day of the week can make a difference in the meat department.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3764 posts
1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Here's what's coming up tomorrow. Wow, a whole lotta beef up this week under $4/lb! Sirloin tip, top sirloin, outside round, inside round, boneless blade.... (Death_hawk, those are the choices! You are not allowed to say you'd rather...) What would you do?

I would buy the top sirloin (roast) and the boneless blade (stew/curry/chili) and probably not go for the sirloin tip (chewy!) despite the price.

Walmart
Sirloin Tip roast AA $2.97/lb

Zehrs/Loblaws
Boneless Blade roast AAA $3.99/lb
Chicken Wings (split, air-chilled) $3.99/lb
Louis Kemp Crab Delights "fake crab" 320g $1.99 ($2.82/lb)*
* there is one without dressing/dip that contains a 3-pack...that one...not the other ones.

RCSS
Top Sirloin roast AAA $3.98/lb
Seaquest "fake crab" $1.98 ($3.96/lb)

No Frills
Lean Ground beef $2.77/lb
Clover Leaf Wild Red Pacific Sockeye salmon, canned $2 ($4.26/lb)
Seaquest "fake crab" $2 ($4/lb)

Metro
fresh Skinless Boneless chicken breast $3.77/lb
Pork Side Rib $1.99/lb

Food Basics

Outside Round roast AA $3.27/lb
High Liner Catch of the Day, $7.97:
- Wild Pacific salmon 680g ($5.32/lb)
- Pollock 1320g ($2.74/lb)
- Sole 953g ($3.80/lb)
- Basa 1134g ($3.19/lb)
- Tilapia 750g ($4.82/lb)
GO (Green Ocean) Wild Pacific salmon 500g $5.99 ($5.44/lb)

Freshco
Fresh Whole Chicken $2/lb

Sobeys
Inside Round roast AA $3.44/lb
Inside Round steak AA $3.99/lb*
* see... $.55/lb to cut it for you.
Compliments Raw Pacific White shrimp 51-60 shrimp/lb 340g $4.99 ($6.66/lb)*
* these are about 1/2 size of cocktail-size (30+/lb) and 2X size of salad size (120/lb). Small, anyway.

Shoppers Drug Mart
Eggs $1.77/dz*
* Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 only
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4661 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 6:51 pm
(Death_hawk, those are the choices! You are not allowed to say you'd rather...) What would you do?
Yeesh... I'm known for a lot of things around here....
And I like half of those.
Top Sirloin and Blade are awesome.
Tip is a half decent compromise but kind of meh.
Inside round is about as low as I'd go.
I'm not a huge fan of outside round.

Round is decent if you shave it thin.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)