Shopping Discussion

Creating a Grocery Meat Cheat Sheet

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2017 7:37 am
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2112 posts
576 upvotes
I personally think the pork loin rib roast at Metro for $1.99/lb is better than the side ribs.
And I hope everyone knows, that as good as tilapia tastes, it's actually a very unhealthy choice.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2706 posts
735 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
beachlover wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 4:25 pm
I personally think the pork loin rib roast at Metro for $1.99/lb is better than the side ribs.
And I hope everyone knows, that as good as tilapia tastes, it's actually a very unhealthy choice.
Yeah, I didn't pick the pork loin this week because it has been on for under $1.49 for the past few weeks. Yup, healthier than bacon on the bone ;) but sometimes you gotta have a treat.

Why do you distrust tilapia? I don't eat it because my buddy here wants as much ON/Canadian food as possible so we do a lot of cold water fish (which I think in general taste better). Always interested to hear arguments for/against various cheap foods.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2112 posts
576 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 10:02 pm
Yeah, I didn't pick the pork loin this week because it has been on for under $1.49 for the past few weeks. Yup, healthier than bacon on the bone ;) but sometimes you gotta have a treat.

Why do you distrust tilapia? I don't eat it because my buddy here wants as much ON/Canadian food as possible so we do a lot of cold water fish (which I think in general taste better). Always interested to hear arguments for/against various cheap foods.
Pork loin, yes. But pork loin rib roast, no. Sort of an economical crown roast in my book. Which is one of those meals that tastes better than if it was cut into separate parts. Also good news, for me, 10% back in PCplus points for pork, so if I can find this in No Frills or RCSS to price match...

As far as tilapia, I have to acquiesce to a google search on the subject. Mostly way too much bad omegas vs anything beneficial.
Sep 12, 2013
162 posts
52 upvotes
I bought a tube of about 400g ground beef from Walmart (those paste-looking ground beef in plastic wrap) a while ago and put it in freezer since I did not have a chance to cook it and it was close to the best before date. Does anyone know how long can it be left in the freezer (without turning bad)?
Also, if I defreeze it in the fridge how many days should it take to be totally defrost?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2706 posts
735 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
tourlou5 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 11:59 am
I bought a tube of about 400g ground beef from Walmart (those paste-looking ground beef in plastic wrap) a while ago and put it in freezer since I did not have a chance to cook it and it was close to the best before date. Does anyone know how long can it be left in the freezer (without turning bad)?
Also, if I defreeze it in the fridge how many days should it take to be totally defrost?
Those tubes can stay in the freezer for a year without getting freezerburn because all the air is squished out of them. 24 hours in the fridge should defrost it - take one out at dinnertime the day before. The tubes are watertight so you can also quick-defrost by dunking one in a sink of water and letting it sit an hour.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2112 posts
576 upvotes
Just noticed, boneless blade pot roast for $2.99/lb at Valu-mart, is that worthy of discussion?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2706 posts
735 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
beachlover wrote:
Feb 26th, 2017 6:17 am
Just noticed, boneless blade pot roast for $2.99/lb at Valu-mart, is that worthy of discussion?
Wow, that is a great deal on a great cut!
Sep 12, 2013
162 posts
52 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 12:46 pm
Those tubes can stay in the freezer for a year without getting freezerburn because all the air is squished out of them. 24 hours in the fridge should defrost it - take one out at dinnertime the day before. The tubes are watertight so you can also quick-defrost by dunking one in a sink of water and letting it sit an hour.
Thanks for the info. Will defreeze it when I can figure out what to cook with it. Last time I did a stir-fry with a tube like this and the meat came out too paste-like and I didn't like the texture.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2706 posts
735 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
tourlou5 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2017 11:02 am
Thanks for the info. Will defreeze it when I can figure out what to cook with it. Last time I did a stir-fry with a tube like this and the meat came out too paste-like and I didn't like the texture.
Yeah, the tube stuff is better for a fine meatloaf or something like that. You need grocery-store ground to get a bigger crumble, if you are trying to make "ants".

No Frills has lean ground beef on for $2.77 in 4-lb packs so about $11. I just divide it into 4 and stuff it into medium freezer bags, squish the air out, and you get 4 "tubes" that are freezerburn-resistant and waterproof.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2706 posts
735 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Cheap meat report:

The only cheap beef this week is inside round or ground, and I would honestly go for the ground. No breasts on sale. If you like chicken drumsticks or thighs check out the $.99/lb legs at Metro.

There's liver ($1.99/lb) on at Metro and lamb shoulder ($3.97/lb) at Food basics if you are looking for something interesting, plus a whole lot more pork loin (remember, it was $1.47 a couple weeks ago, it's been up for a couple weeks now. Wait. Or go for the $1.99 bone in pork chops at Sobeys - the meat is sweeter closer to the bone!)

Fish highlights are Sobey's PEI mussels ($2.29/lb), the Seaquest cod and haddock (especially if you get a PC offer of 1,000 pts per $5 - it is a PC brand), and cheap Chinese basa at Freshco.

Loblaws/Zehrs
fresh whole chicken 2-pk $1.77/lb
pork loin 1.77/lb
Seaquest fillets 400g $3.99 ($4.53/lb)
* good price for haddock and cod varieties and not a good price for sole, basa, tilaipa. Basa, see Freshco.
pork shoulder blade $2.49/lb
* this is a bit high but still cheapish so here you go
Schneiders/Maple Leaf smoked ham 800g $5.98 (3.39/lb)
* March 2 3 4 only
* eligible for buy 4 get $5 e-credit card offer https://www.mapleleafmvp.ca/en/

Metro
inside round roast $3.77/lb
inside round steak $3.77/lb
* angus
fresh chicken leg quarters back attached $.99/lb
* cut these into drumsticks, thighs, and backs yourself and save a bunch on drummies and thighs
fresh beef liver $1.99/b
live PEI mussels 2.29/lb

Freshco
lean ground beef $2.77/lb
lean ground pork 450g $3 ($3.03/lb)
Maple Leaf chicken legs back attached or thighs, 1.5-1.6kg, bagged $10 ($2.83-3.03/lb)
* this is not a good price - go to Metro. Just put this in here is you were wondering if it was a deal.
CP basa fillets 800g $4 ($2.27/lb)

Sobeys
fresh whole chicken $1.99/lb
* Loblaws/Zehrs is $1.77/lb
pork loin chops bone-in $1.99/lb

Food Basics
fresh NZ lamb shoulder (non-halal) $3.97/lb

Walmart
pork loin $1.77/lb
Last edited by lecale on Mar 2nd, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17263 posts
4157 upvotes
T&T has whole pork butts with skin on for $1.39/lb as well.

I wonder what's going on with the cheap pork.
Costco has whole boneless loins (that are trimmed to hell) on sale too.
Can't post a price since it's a dollar value off.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2706 posts
735 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Every week some part of the pig is cheap. Loins pop up all the time, chops, ribs, shoulder all under $2 and tenderloin under $3 these days. Natural bone-in ham is still in the stores under $2 since Christmas, and Easter is coming so we should see even better sales ahead. Some holidays it has gone down to $.99/lb.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2112 posts
576 upvotes
I'm going for the boneless pork loin centre chops at Sobey's for $1.99/lb. The meat near the bone might be sweeter, but I don't like paying for the bones, ha ha. And thanks again lecale for such a nice list to refer to.
Mar 24, 2016
144 posts
61 upvotes
scarborough
Went to Metro today from the chicken quarters at .99/lbs. Nice size portions

Wait for beef tenderloin to goon sale for about 9.99lbs. That thought beef was going down in price. I think for Easter is when the next Beef (prime rib or tenderloins) will be going on sale
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2706 posts
735 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
explorer11 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 3:06 pm
Went to Metro today from the chicken quarters at .99/lbs. Nice size portions

Wait for beef tenderloin to goon sale for about 9.99lbs. That thought beef was going down in price. I think for Easter is when the next Beef (prime rib or tenderloins) will be going on sale
Christmas, Sobeys had beef tenderloin at $8.99 so cross your fingers and toes, maybe we will see a nice price again.

The Easter week flyer will be Thursday April 13, but for things like ham, stuffing and that that have a long shelflife to go on sale you want to start to watch mid-March on. Beef tenderloin is most likely to show on sale the holiday flyer week, though.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel