Shopping Discussion

Creating a Grocery Meat Cheat Sheet

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2017 6:12 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2901 posts
423 upvotes
Of course seeing the meat on sale can often be the deciding factor. Yesterday I saw the strangest looking ground beef in a well-known supermarket. People were actually looking at it and backing away. It was on sale and packaged so as to stay fresh longer, according to the hype written on the label and sign.

On the news the other night the spokesman made a quick reference to irradiated foods - it was the first thing that popped into my mind - whether or not the ground beef in question was irradiated or not, it looked pretty strange. Food colouring? Who knows. I have issues with GMO never mind other things.

I prefer to buy meats that are boneless due to the very handy dog. I will sometimes buy my husband lamb chops but am nervous. Due to allergies I have to buy anti-biotic free meat for me. It makes it difficult when there are just the two of us. I guess it is a good thing that my husband does not gain weight and eats a ton a day.
Jan 29, 2017
133 posts
54 upvotes
Pork chops sirloin & rib portion bone-in at Independent grocer in Ontario for .99/lbs. Ends today.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2123 posts
596 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 10:54 am
Yesterday I saw the strangest looking ground beef in a well-known supermarket. People were actually looking at it and backing away.
Why the secrecy of naming the supermarket, aren't we all friends here?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2901 posts
423 upvotes
beachlover wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 6:38 pm
Why the secrecy of naming the supermarket, aren't we all friends here?
Have you read the answers to some of the posts?! I am only semi-kidding.
Banned
Feb 20, 2017
19 posts
14 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 9:53 pm
A lot of city people are big on game and I eat a lot of it because I am plugged in with some hunters. In the grocery store, it's premium; to a hunter, it's free (or pretty close to it.) In Newfoundland you can get a ticket to get a moose (as a resident) for $30-50 and that's 800 lbs of meat. I always heard game called "government meat" because you pay the government not the grocery store, and it had the same kind of connotations as a "government paycheque" (assistance). Game is generally crappy meat anyway because it is so lean (except for bear). Then you go to the grocery store in the city and they want $30 for a "free" rabbit and game is generally an elite thing with jacked up prices. So which is it, poverty food or delicacy? Accept that it is both and that in a weird way, from rich to poor, things come full circle.
The rabbit you get from the grocery store isn't a wild rabbit.

Wild game meat is much more expensive than store bought meat if you add up all the costs.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3056 posts
919 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Well this looks like a brutal week for cheap meat. Everything is a buck more than you want to consider a sale. Here's the short list of the cheapest, and these prices are still higher than we have seen in recent weeks:

Food Basics
lean ground beef $2.88/lb
Selection cod, haddock 400g $4.49 ($5.10/lb)
Legacy cured pork loin (back bacon) $2.99/lb

Walmart
Maple Leaf whole chicken, air chilled $1.97/lb

RCSS
pork tenderloin $2.88/lb
Maple Leaf bacon 375g $2.50
* if you do this promo https://www.mapleleafmvp.ca/en/
lean ground pork $3.38/lb

Metro
bone-in pork loin chops $1.77/lb

Zehrs/Loblaws
skinless bone-in chicken breast $1.99/lb
* Thurs 9 Friday 10 Saturday 11 March only
Last edited by lecale on Mar 8th, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17797 posts
4470 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 12:16 pm
lean ground pork $3.38/lb
Is it me or is that ridiculously high.
I could swear that Costco has it for like $2ish/lb.
Plus it's better quality. RCSS ground pork sucks butt.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3056 posts
919 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 1:13 pm
Is it me or is that ridiculously high.
I could swear that Costco has it for like $2ish/lb.
Plus it's better quality. RCSS ground pork sucks butt.
It is high but $2/lb is very cheap. Would be a Hot Deal. It's a very rough week for meat sales for some reason.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17797 posts
4470 upvotes
I could swear their regular price is sub $5/kg.
I'm heading there today maybe so I'll take a look again.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3056 posts
919 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 12:02 am
I was right. $2.08/lb in Vancouver.
There you go, that's definitely a good value.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17797 posts
4470 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 12:20 am
There you go, that's definitely a good value.
It's one of the few things in the meat department that are consistently cheaper than everyone else while maintaining quality.
At least I think they're cheaper than everyone else. I've never really seen it cheaper anywhere else, but I don't look that hard.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5158 posts
1341 upvotes
I just buy a cow and have it slaughtered. Then I get a butcher to cut it all up for me and vacuum-sealed + flash frozen. Averages to a little over 3$/kg over all the different types of cuts and the meat is significantly higher in quality, being locally growned and slaughtered.

Of course, only if you have a decent-size freezer to put your cow in.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2428 posts
318 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
WHO wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 9:47 am
I just buy a cow and have it slaughtered. Then I get a butcher to cut it all up for me and vacuum-sealed + flash frozen. Averages to a little over 3$/kg over all the different types of cuts and the meat is significantly higher in quality, being locally growned and slaughtered.

Of course, only if you have a decent-size freezer to put your cow in.
I looked around southern ontario farms/meat places. A side of beef (about 360lb dressed weight... before aging or removal of bones) you will usually pay around $6/lb dressed weight which averaged out around $10/lb delivered to you.

Not expensive but also not cheap.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17797 posts
4470 upvotes
WHO wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 9:47 am
Sure, but now you get a butt ton of cuts that are terrible.
I think everyone by now knows my hatred for round and over half the weight of the animal is round.

Plus $6/lb is approaching steak territory during the low months.
If you have the freezer space, I'd be buying a dozen strips and a dozen ribs and a bunch of dry ice.
That or whatever other cuts you like.
If there's other cuts you do like, that brings costs down even more because the only thing that's really more than that (during the low season) is Tenderloin. Well that and maybe short ribs, tails, and tongue.
I for one buy a bunch of skirt and brisket which is already under $6/lb.

I would however love to have all the bones, but not for $6/lb.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel