Creating a Grocery Meat Cheat Sheet

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2017 3:56 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1177 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
What would be considered a good price for AAA ribeye steak?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17703 posts
4422 upvotes
Right now? I'd say like $8ish/lb.

Costco is like $12/lb right now which is just silly.
Strips (primals) are like $8/lb for some reason
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1177 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks. I am terrible with price and weight conversions on the fly. What would be Costco's price these days PER POUND for boneless, skinless chicken breasts? I'm always looking for good prices to fill my freezer.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17703 posts
4422 upvotes
I don't think Costco has ever had a good price on chicken breasts.
In fact, the only thing that IS a good price in the entire meat section is like ground pork.
Everything else can usually be found cheaper elsewhere.

The difference is that the stuff at Costco lasts damn near forever.
I get a week with chicken that's not vac packed. I can get close to a month if I vac pack it.
Feb 9, 2009
302 posts
93 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 4:14 am
The difference is that the stuff at Costco lasts damn near forever.
I get a week with chicken that's not vac packed. I can get close to a month if I vac pack it.
It may hint towards high antibiotics level in chicken meat or even some preservatives they soak killed chicken into, since fresh meat is obviously not sterilized.

The "meat cheat sheet" should also reflect how healthy it is for humans. What about hormones level in red meat? Which store chain sells beef without hormones or lowest synthetic hormones level?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17703 posts
4422 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 9:26 am
It may hint towards high antibiotics level in chicken meat or even some preservatives they soak killed chicken into, since fresh meat is obviously not sterilized.
Do antibiotics prevent chicken from rotting?
Also Costco chicken is air chilled.
Feb 9, 2009
302 posts
93 upvotes
"Rotting (chiefly of animal or vegetable matter) is decay by the action of bacteria and fungi; decomposition." So if high concentration of antibiotics is still present in the animal tissue, it does slow down decay by killing bacteria, despite the animal is dead. Preservatives do similar job, and both types are harmful for humans. Oxygen is needed for most bacteria grows, so vacuuming can delay decay too. Freezing also slows down decay, as not much comfort for bacteria to grow in the freezer. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2117 posts
594 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 6:21 pm
Do antibiotics prevent chicken from rotting?
Aren't antibiotics used on chickens to keep them healthy while they mature? And isn't that a good thing?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2957 posts
855 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
beachlover wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:28 am
Aren't antibiotics used on chickens to keep them healthy while they mature? And isn't that a good thing?
Also to speed growth...the antibiotics kill some of the bacteria in the digestive tract that compete with the chicken's system for nutrients.
Feb 9, 2009
302 posts
93 upvotes
Antibiotics in regular low concentration use as a component of food products are extremely harmful to humans. They suppress body immune system, cause cells mutation and cancer, speedup development of resistant bacteria streams, kill useful bacteria in intestinal tract resulting in suppressed food digestion, chronic diarrhea and food waste. You guys need to educate yourself not only on food prices, but also on consequences of eating the lowest priced food filled with inorganic compounds, herbicides, gmo, drugs, hormones, preservatives, you name it. Disappointed Face

Free run chicken don't need antibiotics to leave healthy lives, and neither other animals. Of course overcrowded dirty living conditions result in mass diseases, so some farmers just give drugs for prophylactics, and they end up in our stomachs and blood stream causing damage to cells everywhere they go and accumulating in large doses overtime. Unfortunately, we can't clean up our cells easily and neither repair massive damage, especially with suppressed by these polluters immune system.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2957 posts
855 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
arnycus wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:18 pm
Antibiotics in regular low concentration use as a component of food products are extremely harmful to humans. They suppress body immune system, cause cells mutation and cancer, speedup development of resistant bacteria streams, kill useful bacteria in intestinal tract resulting in suppressed food digestion, chronic diarrhea and food waste. You guys need to educate yourself not only on food prices, but also on consequences of eating the lowest priced food filled with inorganic compounds, herbicides, gmo, drugs, hormones, preservatives, you name it. Disappointed Face

Free run chicken don't need antibiotics to leave healthy lives, and neither other animals. Of course overcrowded dirty living conditions result in mass diseases, so some farmers just give drugs for prophylactics, and they end up in our stomachs and blood stream causing damage to cells everywhere they go and accumulating in large doses overtime. Unfortunately, we can't clean up our cells easily and neither repair massive damage, especially with suppressed by these polluters immune system.
The thing is, people are living longer and longer. Our food quality has gotten better, not worse. I don't buy into the food fear thing (which is a very expensive phobia to have).

IMO eating cheap meat means eating a lot of fresh chicken and pork and frozen fish fillets, and cutting down on pricey beef and deli meat, which would be a positive thing for a lot of people anyway.

Also smaller portion sizes (e.g., no steaks, which are pricier than roasts, and generally too big a serving).
Feb 9, 2009
302 posts
93 upvotes
Many folks would benefit from a tour to a chicken farm to realize what they eat daily. :) Cancer rates in North America are getting higher and higher, as environment gets more polluted and people turn to GMO and chemicals in own and animals food. And btw not so long ago each family had animals, many leave with them in the same house, didn't feed them with hormones and antibiotics, and neither complained about high cost of allowing animals leave normal lives.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2957 posts
855 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
arnycus wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:00 pm
Many folks would benefit from a tour to a chicken farm to realize what they eat daily. :) Cancer rates in North America are getting higher and higher, as environment gets more polluted and people turn to GMO in own and animals food. And btw not so long ago each family had animals, many leave with them in the same house, didn't feed them with hormones and antibiotics, and neither complained about high cost of allowing animals leave normal lives.
Oh chickens are filthy. We had truly free range chickens when I was growing up and my mother slaughtered some until she was so fed up she just started taking them down to the meat packing plant so they could do it for her, so I've been, as well as having seen my mother in action as an axe murderer. They are so messy to do - poopy feet, feathers, omg.

OTOH our hens were as fatty as ducks and distinctly yellow skinned from their natural diet, and laid orange-yolked eggs. The supermarket chickens are lean and sort of bluish-white. The supermarket eggs are yellow. However I live an urban life now and I am not prepared to grow my own chickens/eggs.

Also, I am so highly nutrified by the incredible diet modern life allows - vegetables and fruit of any type all year 'round, my choice of meats...my grandparents on one side were homesteaders/land claim people in the north and because of no refrigeration/electricity, it was chicken and bologna on a rope hung down the well in summer and beef and pork only after it got cold enough to keep it cold, for my mother. No greens or fruits at all for large parts of the year...so no, I do not miss the natural, technology and chemical free good old days. They weren't as good as imagined. My father says my mother's family in northern Alberta probably ate a worse diet than he suffered in Berlin during the war. But it was all natural!

IMO people are getting cancer at higher rates now because people are living so damn long. And the GMO stuff that is of issue is the corn and soybeans that are treated with glycophosphates, IMO...so stay away from processed corn and soybean snacks, "protein" granola bars, cereals, and processed "health foods" and you are ok. Many GMO's modifications are actually benign and beneficial, IMO.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17703 posts
4422 upvotes
beachlover wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:28 am
That's what I was thinking.
While I'm no expert, I don't think a high concentration of antibiotics in meat is going to preserve it in any way relative to antibiotic meat.
A surface treatment? Sure. I mean... irradiation is a thing.
But antibiotic use while the animal is alive? I can't see it happening. But I could be wrong. I'm too lazy to go look up proof one way or the other.
Feb 9, 2009
302 posts
93 upvotes
@lecale

Xmmm... Greens and fruits we buy in the supermarket have no taste, smell, vitamins and nutrients of natural produce, as greens grow under plastic film in fertilizers and herbicides instead of natural soil, and fruits are collected green long before they are ripened. And how eating natural eggs, hens meat, home cow milk products and bread, porridge and potatoes is the worse diet ever compare to herbicides produced by GMO soy fed to animals who are then slotted and consumed by humans jointly with hormones, animal drugs and water full of heavy metals and chemicals dumped by industrial pollutants and frackers? Is that a mandatory joy of the civilized world? No way!!! Its humans inability to preserve own kids future. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel