24 replies
Jul 10, 2004
956 posts
655 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
infinityloop wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:30 pm
Is that grinder any good for espresso?
Not really. It's very good for coarser grinds but not great for finer grinds that espresso requires. Fine in a pinch, but not something you'd use exclusively for espresso.
May 3, 2015
52 posts
43 upvotes
I use it daily to grind coffee for my bialleti stovetop espresso maker
I set the grind to 8, which is fine enough for me, but baratza recommands 2 to 6
highly satisfied by the quality of this grinder
bought it from creativecoffee a year ago

From the Encore manual:
Espresso Drip and Pourover Full Immersion
2-6 Brewer 13-14
V60 13-14
Chemex 20-21
AeroPress 8-11
Siphon 14
French Press 30-32
Aug 30, 2013
35 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary
What would you recommend? I had this one in mind for my espresso machine.
Mar 4, 2006
59 posts
72 upvotes
Jrys22 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:18 pm
What would you recommend? I had this one in mind for my espresso machine.
Stovetop espresso make requirements are very different from a real espresso maker. Baratza Vario is what most people say is the starting point of good espresso grinder.... Personally I bought a Breville Barista Express espresso machine and grinder in one (not an automatic machine). I can make better espresso, americano then starbucks with fresh beans.

I was going to spend $1500 and get a Vario and a rancilio SILVIA but I realized I can get 90% there at 1/3 the cost. Its a crazy hobby and the more you spend the more you will want to spend. I limited myself to the Breville and have been having two double shots daily for the past 6+ months not hiccups.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2026 posts
1092 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nice. Free shipping if you get both. $10 shipping if you just get the Bodum, in which case you might want to compare to these:

Plastic version $26.67 & free shipping (but the glass version is better):
https://www.amazon.ca/Bodum-Chambord-Sh ... op?ie=UTF8

8-cup size (glass), $39.99 & free shipping:
https://www.amazon.ca/Bodum-Chambord-Co ... op?ie=UTF8

And just for comparison: Baratza Encore $179.00 & free shipping:
https://www.amazon.ca/Baratza-Encore-Co ... B007F183LK
Feb 22, 2011
361 posts
88 upvotes
code is not supposed to work on baratza, this is a pretty good workaround.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1133 posts
105 upvotes
Lévis
coolwasabi wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:37 pm
Not really. It's very good for coarser grinds but not great for finer grinds that espresso requires. Fine in a pinch, but not something you'd use exclusively for espresso.
Like someone mentioned in RFD, there is 2 adjustments on this grinder. The main one linked with the top container and a screw somewhere in the grinder. I have it and I'm quite sure it's mentioned in the user manual. There's a video on how to change that scew.
Pourquoi pas?
Sep 3, 2002
2 posts
Burnaby
syncmaster763 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:42 pm
Stovetop espresso make requirements are very different from a real espresso maker. Baratza Vario is what most people say is the starting point of good espresso grinder.... Personally I bought a Breville Barista Express espresso machine and grinder in one (not an automatic machine). I can make better espresso, americano then starbucks with fresh beans.

I was going to spend $1500 and get a Vario and a rancilio SILVIA but I realized I can get 90% there at 1/3 the cost. Its a crazy hobby and the more you spend the more you will want to spend. I limited myself to the Breville and have been having two double shots daily for the past 6+ months not hiccups.
Take notes from this man/woman.

I agree, one can spend the money to inflate their ego in a pursuit of a hobby ... or you can use some sense and get pretty much there at a fraction of the cost.

I love my Baratza Virtuoso and picked up the Breville Barista last fall ... great results for minimal investment.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2006
4901 posts
741 upvotes
GTA
For espresso one would get the vario or sette.
bill_n_opus wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:13 pm
Take notes from this man/woman.

I agree, one can spend the money to inflate their ego in a pursuit of a hobby ... or you can use some sense and get pretty much there at a fraction of the cost.

I love my Baratza Virtuoso and picked up the Breville Barista last fall ... great results for minimal investment.
He is actually incorrect, you don't pay for the name for silvia or rocket - well maybe somewhat - but you pay for reliability.

I have owned breville expresso machines, they are practically disposable. They don't last.

We Shall Never Forget 7/08 '14
We Shall Never Forget 8/19 '11

Toilet Paper Calculations Thread
Sep 28, 2004
814 posts
50 upvotes
porksoda wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:57 pm
For espresso one would get the vario or sette.

He is actually incorrect, you don't pay for the name for silvia or rocket - well maybe somewhat - but you pay for reliability.

I have owned breville expresso machines, they are practically disposable. They don't last.
If people are just making milk drinks then how they make it doesn't matter as much imo. Milk masks poor quality espresso. I had someone tell me how their stove top moka pot and milk frother rivaled what they got at Starbucks (which is a terrible reference point), but if they enjoy the drink then to each their own

Anyway, back to grinders - I second the Vario for espresso fineness and overall versatility. Baratza is also amazing when it comes to customer service.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel