Personal Finance

Credit card never received my money order!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2007 5:40 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 27, 2005
75 posts
1 upvote

Credit card never received my money order!

Does anyone know what I should do in my situation:

I have a US Victoria's Secret credit card and they don't allow me to pay the bill online since they only give you a 5-digit space to enter your zip code-meaning I can't register my postal code.

So I bought a money order from the post office and mailed that off. But the new bill (2 months later) says they still have not received my payment and are charging me another $20 late fee.

I went to the post office to check if my money order was cashed but I have to fill out this application and then wait for a reply.

I don't want this to ruin my credit history! Not to mention my $30 purchase is now costing me $80. ($30 money order that I bought, $30 they think I still owe and $20 late fee) Please help!
6 replies
Jun 15, 2004
385 posts
1 upvote
you should most def see if your m/o was cashed. also call the credit card company and explain your situation. provide them with the money order serial #. perhaps they recieved it after your billing cycle, hence why it didnt show on your bill.

in the future, send a money order/draft from a bank. The US has a lot of issues with postal m/o fraud, and i know personally from dealing with people in the states (both individuals and companies) that if im paying by m/o or draft they would much rather prefer that they get one from a bank...cause it is much easier for them to verify... and they are already on nerves due to the high rate of fake us postal office money orders around. i know you got a canada post m/o but a bank m/o just seems more secure.
May 10, 2005
895 posts
2 upvotes
Alberta
Can't help you with your situation now, but out of curiosity, why didn't you send them a cheque?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
79 upvotes
Georgetown
Spud72 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2007 11:17 am
Can't help you with your situation now, but out of curiosity, why didn't you send them a cheque?
Probably the currency exchange issue?

See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
[OP]
Jul 27, 2005
75 posts
1 upvote
Spud72 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2007 11:17 am
I didn't think they would accept my Canadian cheques...
May 10, 2005
895 posts
2 upvotes
Alberta
US banks take Canadian cheques just fine - done it several times myself. Just write "US FUNDS" on it. You may/may not have a surcharge, but I've paid several bills out of the US an American funds with Canadian cheques.
Nov 8, 2004
655 posts
1 upvote
The bank that sold you the $ order can verify that it has not been cashed.

For a fee of maybe $5 they will cancel it and refund the $.
× < >