Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 3, 2008
205 posts
10 upvotes

Credit Card with Restaurant Cash Back Bonus

Hi all,

I eat out to the effect of $8,000-$10,000 per year, so I did pretty well the 3% cash back bonus on the Costco TrueEarning Amex. Now that that card is going the way of the dinosaurs, I'd like to find another card with a restaurant bonus. Any no-fee cards? How about fee cards that would be worth my while? I've already got a travel card, so I'd prefer cash back to travel. Just wondering what's out there.

Thanks.
15 replies
Banned
Sep 10, 2014
694 posts
144 upvotes
Almost $200 a week to eat out? Hopefully for your sake it's not all at McDonald's hahaha.

On a serious note, the Scotia Amex Gold offers 4% back on dining, as well as gas, groceries and entertainment. It comes with a nice sign up bonus, but also a $99 annual fee.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2012
1991 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto, ON
KingKuba wrote:
Sep 12th, 2014 11:28 pm
amex gold scotia 4%
+1 this is a great card, they usually have good promos going on I think $300 in points sign up bonus (a few times in the past).
[OP]
Sep 3, 2008
205 posts
10 upvotes
lovefreemoney wrote:
Sep 12th, 2014 11:36 pm
Almost $200 a week to eat out? Hopefully for your sake it's not all at McDonald's hahaha.

On a serious note, the Scotia Amex Gold offers 4% back on dining, as well as gas, groceries and entertainment. It comes with a nice sign up bonus, but also a $99 annual fee.
Hahah.. yeah.. not McD's. We're into fine dining.

Is the Scotia Amex the only other card in Canada with a restaurant bonus? I guess the annual fee might be worth it...especially since it would become my gas and grocery card too.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1543 posts
680 upvotes
Kanada
Any Visa or Mastercard with bonus cashback/points rates on restaurants?
Mar 21, 2008
312 posts
36 upvotes
Calgary
SnoopDop wrote:
Sep 15th, 2014 12:29 pm
Any Visa or Mastercard with bonus cashback/points rates on restaurants?
Not that I know of. It's unfortunate. I use my TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite for restaurants.

Another thing you could do is use your credit card with gas/grocery bonus to buy restaurant gift cards from gas stations or grocery stores. Personally, I don't do this. But I know a lot of people here on RFD do.

But NEVER do that for high ticket items that would benefit from purchase security and extended warranty insurance
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4249 posts
1639 upvotes
CalgaryMan wrote:
Sep 15th, 2014 10:12 pm
Not that I know of. It's unfortunate. I use my TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite for restaurants.

Another thing you could do is use your credit card with gas/grocery bonus to buy restaurant gift cards from gas stations or grocery stores. Personally, I don't do this. But I know a lot of people here on RFD do.

But NEVER do that for high ticket items that would benefit from purchase security and extended warranty insurance
Me neither. Once you buy the gift cards it's much easier to spend them because they have become sunk cost.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1211 posts
624 upvotes
Montreal
AFG786 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2014 11:46 pm
+1 this is a great card, they usually have good promos going on I think $300 in points sign up bonus (a few times in the past).
+ buytopia gift card bonus (need to apply before Oct 31st)

GET $120 IN BUYTOPIA CREDIT OR A $75 GIFT CARD UPON APPROVAL OF A SCOTIABANK®* GOLD AMERICAN EXPRESS® CARD OR SCOTIA MOMENTUM®* VISA* INFINITE CARD
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19003 posts
1437 upvotes
If you sign up for the Scotia Gold Amex a nice trick I used during my 5% bonus is to go to the grocery store and buy gift cards for other retailers you will buy larger purchases from. Since you bought the GC at a grocery store you will get 5% back instead of 1%. For example if you are planning to go to Home Depot and drop $200 on tools, stop into the grocery store first and buy 2x100 Home Depot gift cards. Note the only downside to this plan is you lose your extended warranty.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3657 posts
1300 upvotes
on the links
brunes wrote:
Sep 16th, 2014 6:56 am
If you sign up for the Scotia Gold Amex a nice trick I used during my 5% bonus...
I received a 30K point bonus fro this card, but I'm not aware of any 5% offer?
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
4121 posts
835 upvotes
GTEH!
IMWHFMPC wrote:
Sep 15th, 2014 9:22 am
Lol, thanks but surprised you brought this card up, can never imagine someone would apply this card over the Scotia 4% one
AMEX SimplyCAsh = No annual fee.
Scotia AMEX = $99 Annual fee. $300 bonus points credit

There's a difference.
😎
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2912 posts
800 upvotes
Toronto
Webhead wrote:
Sep 16th, 2014 12:36 pm
AMEX SimplyCAsh = No annual fee.
Scotia AMEX = 1st year free, then $99 Annual fee.

There's a difference.
Scotia Gold AMEX does not waive first year fee. But they do give you $300 worth of points upfront.

You're probably thinking of Scotia Momentum VISA. They waive first year's fee... but there's no 4% dining/entertainment points on that card.