• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 3:59 pm
[OP]
Jan 23, 2016
659 posts
112 upvotes
North York, ON

Credit card travel insurance

Is it worth anything or should you buy extra coverage when travelling? I looked at the disclaimer and it says "only covers preapproved diagnostic tests" I don't know about you but I don't think er doctors are checking with credit card insurance companies when requesting a stat ct scan. Seems like a sure fire way to being stuck with a hefty bill. Anyone have experience using the insurance provided by credit card companies? Will they pay out or are they like furniture insurance?

What if I drive to Michigan for the day? I didn't charge plane tickets to my credit card. Am I covered in the case of a car accident? Also all these cards say "accident." So if you suddenly come down with pancreatitis or appendicitis, these conditions are not covered.

Seems like this insurance is 100% worthless.
6 replies
Feb 7, 2017
729 posts
384 upvotes
Sparky9087 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 6:38 pm
Is it worth anything or should you buy extra coverage when travelling? I looked at the disclaimer and it says "only covers preapproved diagnostic tests" I don't know about you but I don't think er doctors are checking with credit card insurance companies when requesting a stat ct scan. Seems like a sure fire way to being stuck with a hefty bill. Anyone have experience using the insurance provided by credit card companies? Will they pay out or are they like furniture insurance?

What if I drive to Michigan for the day? I didn't charge plane tickets to my credit card. Am I covered in the case of a car accident? Also all these cards say "accident." So if you suddenly come down with pancreatitis or appendicitis, these conditions are not covered.

Most credit card travel insurance & travel health insurance are "light weights"

Unfortunately a lot of people ONLY travel with them, and don't bother to buy any additional coverage

Which is quite frankly in my books RIDICULOUS

But hey seems a lot of folks go the cheap route, take the risk, and convince themselves that "some" coverage is better than none.

Truth is travel & travel health insurance is a good purchase / bargain when compared to the risk / cost of being without or poorly covered

And there is no time like the present to buy... As it only gets more expensive as one ages. Up until age 60, CAA travel health is less than $ 100 a year... No max on the number of trips out of country, and 14 Days at a time (they also have a 30 Day Plan). Anything beyond your bought policy and they'll sell you a daily top up.

We carry our wallet cards with us. The instructions on how to get help is on them along with our Policy number.

The clause about "pre-approved procedures" is standard. All policies say that the Insured should notify the Insurance Co immediately if they are seeking treatment. So one assumes it will be you (or your loved one) who reaches out, not the Dr

As for who's covered & when with the CC, each company seems to have their own fine print. But my understanding is some do offer coverage even if you have not charged the major items to your cc for the trip (ie Air - Car Rental - Hotel)... So ya a cross border shop, or visit to see Cousin Phil should be covered too
Apr 12, 2012
625 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't depend on the CC Travel Insurance. One misstep and you can really go bankrupt!

Just use RBC insurance/BMO Insurance to buy travel insurance if you don't have it from work already
Jan 2, 2015
911 posts
308 upvotes
Sparky9087 wrote:

You have to be very careful with the cc insurance, actually most travel insurance requires 'preapporbed diagnostic', even CAA. This means that you are expected to call the insurance FIRST If possible. Now if it's an emergency and life threatening, then you don't have to but there is an expectation once you can call you do. It's not up to the doctor to call, but it's up to you and tell them what medical provider you are in. This is a very important step to have the insurance and medical provider in contact.

The insurance is only valid if you charge part of your trip to it, and the part that you plan to claim. If you want the fligh insurance, your plane ticket must be charged on, car rentals for the car insurance the whole rental must be charged on it not the booking. My friend learn d this the hard way by using one cc to book and one credit to pay, when they got into an accident it wasn't covered. If you are driving your own car, so no medial or plane, then I am not sure what happens. I think the hotel bookings count, but if you are staying at a relatives, and nothing is being charged on the cc, then it will be difficult to get coverage.

We have used cc insurance for the car, but I was get seperate medical insuarnce especially with kids. We had one ear infection Woth our baby and a open one hour visit that cost us over a thousand dollars. Our seperate insurance covered it though.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7340 posts
690 upvotes
Markham
Even you buy travel insurance from insurance company such as RBCI or other known carrier, you still have to call them upfront before you go seek medication attention unless it is an emergency, if not you maybe responsible for certain % of the medical expensed result from your visit.
Usually when you call to notify insurer you need medication attention, they will try the best to find you a medication center within their network to make things easier with the claim after.
So, I don't think what we say Pre-approved diagnostic is only from cc company.

I do sell travel insurance long time ago and we have to disclose and acknowledge client to notify us (they open 24/7) before they seek medication attention except emergency.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1255 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
Sparky9087 wrote:

I don't think it's fair to call insurance worthless if you've never dealt with it or used it,etc. What's mostly worthless is trip cancellation insurance a lot of people buy when they purchase a flight/vacation, thinking they can cancel their trip at any time and it is not true as you can only cancel it due to some emergency medical conditions.
I have used credit card insurances for flight cancellations, baggage delays, trip interruptions, flight delays, rental car burglary,etc a few times over the years. It's definitely not worthless!
I don't believe you need to charge full cost of the flight to qualify for medical insurance. At least not with the cards I use and my wife along with myself are covered under the same credit card. You just have the card with you and it starts once you are out of Canada. You do need to charge full cost of rental vehicle and decline CDW to qualify for insurance though.

If you are older than 65 and have health issues, you should not rely on credit card medical insurance though. I know people who used credit card medical insurance to cover emergency dental and another couple had an accident and broke an arm while in USA and it was all completely covered by their credit card.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7340 posts
690 upvotes
Markham
^
+1

You need to understand what the product you buying before calling it useless, regardless what it is.
A lot of people doesn't read the term and condition, and cry when claims got denied.

Most or some credit card coverage insure out of country medical travel insurance for 15 days, then down to only 3 days once you turned 65yrs old.
Pre-existing coverage are excluded, some are 60 day prior, some are 90 days or half year.

My credit card just covered me on my car rental few months ago on a trip. They paid my car collision claim worth $1200 for a bumper dent. Thanks to my CC coverage on this one.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015