Personal Finance

Credit Card with Trip Cancellation ins.??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2009 8:24 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 23, 2005
119 posts
4 upvotes

Credit Card with Trip Cancellation ins.??

Anyone know of a credit card that will provide trip cancellation insurance?

I just paid over $200.00 for 4 flights to the States and thought if it's available it would be great.

Thanks!!
11 replies
Apr 1, 2007
109 posts
2 upvotes
For Trip-Cancellation or Trip-Interruption insurance you're usually looking at cards with annual fees, and even then mostly the $120/year Visa Infinites from the various banks.

Some airlines also offer insurance directly from them, as do some banks.

But if you're worried about cancellation (for reasons other than the airline going out of business) buy a refundable ticket.
Aug 27, 2006
33 posts
tbumstead wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 1:00 pm

I just paid over $200.00 for 4 flights to the States and thought if it's available it would be great.

Thanks!!
If you already paid your flights, then CC is not a option. The credit card's trip insurance only applies if you charge the whole flight using the CC. For travel, I found the TD Infinite Travel VISA card (forgot the exact name) is a great one. It offers trip cancellation and interruption for 8 days per trip to a max $1000 per person. If your trip is longer than 8 days, you can pay a little more for the extra days. You earn 9X points for all travel costs (flight, hotel, car rental, etc) and 3X for other. You can then redeem the points for your travel cost anytime (10K points = $50). For example, I charged my hotel/resort first, then redeem the points for my flight which I booked later. However, the fee is $120/year. But if you have a select service account and put $5000 in the account, your VISA annual fee is waived (i.e. FREE). It also gives you other perks such as free cheques, unlimited transactions, free traveller cheques, FREE Deposit Box, free USD Visa, etc... Now the additional bonus: if you take advantage of the current TD $250 promotion, you get all of the above perks FREE and have some extra cash :-)
Apr 17, 2009
421 posts
25 upvotes
CIBC Aerogold has a good one.
Mar 8, 2009
612 posts
15 upvotes
tbumstead wrote:

Thanks!!
You're worried about 4x $50 flights? Realllllllllllllllllllllllly?
Mar 8, 2009
612 posts
15 upvotes
tbumstead wrote:

Thanks!!
You're worried about 4x $50 flights? Realllllllllllllllllllllllly?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9436 posts
2787 upvotes
Ottawa
I purchased 2 tickets to Paris with National Bank Platinum Mastercard which has trip cancellation insurance and it has come in handy.

Long story short, my wife has complications from her pregnancy and we were able to get our money back with a note from our doctor.

There are other cards that offer this insurance with no annual fees, based on this site.

http://www.creditcardsearch.ca/insuranc ... nnual+Fees

Hope it helps!
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
Apr 8, 2009
76 posts
Vancouver
Toule wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 4:57 pm
CIBC Aerogold has a good one.
are you sure? I can only find the CIBC Aerogold infinite has trip interuption, not trip cancellation...
Apr 1, 2007
109 posts
2 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
Nov 28th, 2009 6:10 pm
There are other cards that offer this insurance with no annual fees, based on this site.

http://www.creditcardsearch.ca/insuranc ... nnual+Fees

Hope it helps!
Hang on a second, though. All those MBNA and MBNA-affiliated cards listed on that site have a very limited form of Trip Interruption insurance, not Trip Cancellation. MBNA only covers you on no-fee Platinum Plus-level cards on the very specific circumstance that a close family member dies in Canada while you are on your trip and you have to come back home.

If you want the real Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption insurance package from MBNA, you have to pay for it:

MBNA Comprehensive Travel Insurance Add-on
Jun 16, 2009
8 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Bank of Nova Scotia ScotiaGold Passport provides both Trip Interruption and Trip Cancellation if most of the cost of the trip is charged to the card. It also gives you medical coverage while away from home for up to either 21 or 22 days.

There is an annual fee of about $ 120 for the first card and (I think), $ 50 for a second attached card. There are certain conditions attached to the coverage for example, medical problems, accident on way to airport using paid transportation etc. Also only cardmembers under 65 or 64 are covered for certain items.

May be too late for the OP, but with at least one family trip overseas each year, it's well worth it to me. Besides, the card gives points for purchases.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9436 posts
2787 upvotes
Ottawa
thirtyone wrote:
Nov 28th, 2009 10:02 pm
Hang on a second, though. All those MBNA and MBNA-affiliated cards listed on that site have a very limited form of Trip Interruption insurance, not Trip Cancellation. MBNA only covers you on no-fee Platinum Plus-level cards on the very specific circumstance that a close family member dies in Canada while you are on your trip and you have to come back home.

If you want the real Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption insurance package from MBNA, you have to pay for it:

MBNA Comprehensive Travel Insurance Add-on
Thanks for the additional info, I provided that link as a stepping stone, obviously you still have to do your due diligence and read the fine print. It's pretty rare to get a credit card with true trip cancellation insurance and no fee but if you travel a lot, the annual fee may prove to be negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Cheers!
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
× < >