Shopping Discussion

Credit Card Warranties - Actual Experiences?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2010 9:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30075 posts
1342 upvotes
Fernando Po

Credit Card Warranties - Actual Experiences?

What actual experiences have you had trying to use your credit card warranty for getting consumer goods repaired or replaced? Lots of people (including myself) recommend people forgo the extended warranty and rely on the one year credit card extended warranty.

What are your actual experiences? Please, only post if you have an actual experience!!

My first experience ten years ago when I got a motherboard replaced. They required I fill out a form and that I get a quote on a "repair" from a reputable repair shop (seriously). They actually called at talked to the computer store that said it wasn't repairable. Kind of a hassle for a $120 item. Five years ago I tried to get a repair done on a CRT TV. They required THREE quotes for a repair before they'd pay for the work...the quotes would have cost me more than the repair (paid $50 for the repair).
23 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30075 posts
1342 upvotes
Fernando Po
greenmoon wrote:
Jan 21st, 2010 10:42 am
I once had a repair/replacement claim with a credit card and it was actually quirky since the device in question was the type that the manufacturer deemed "no serviceable parts" so it would only need to be replaced, not repaired. The thing is, they did not mention it on their actual warranty page, but the insurance company wanted it in writing. I ended up having an email based conversation with the manufacturer discussing possibility of a repair and then just printed out those emails and sent them with my claim. It was all honoured just fine.

That was RBC and they only wanted 1 repair estimate. Which company is it that asks for 3? Did you ask if they'd pay you back for the cost of the estimates?
It was RBC. No, they won't pay for the estimates.
Oct 26, 2009
151 posts
7 upvotes
I've used the RBC warranty about 4 times now. As long as I have the receipt and get a repair estimate, it's always paid out. Here's the process:

Phone RBC Insurance to get a claim number.
They will mail you the claim form.
Fill in claim form and attach receipt, manufacturers warranty info and repair estimate.
Mail back to RBC Insurance.
Wait for refund cheque.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30075 posts
1342 upvotes
Fernando Po
gnihuis wrote:
Jan 21st, 2010 3:37 pm
I've used the RBC warranty about 4 times now. As long as I have the receipt and get a repair estimate, it's always paid out. Here's the process:

Phone RBC Insurance to get a claim number.
They will mail you the claim form.
Fill in claim form and attach receipt, manufacturers warranty info and repair estimate.
Mail back to RBC Insurance.
Wait for refund cheque.
Most things I buy you couldn't get a repair estimate for, and if you could, it would probably cost more than the cheque they'd send.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
50 upvotes
I have only used RBC travel insurance and they were good with sending me the forms and paying me back for my US expenses.
Serprized they were actually helpful!

Have not had anything I actually bought on a cc actually break on me yet!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
My friend told me that he dropped his iPod on the floor, so I told him to check if it was still eligible on the 90 day RBC Product Assurance.

It was eligible so he had to get a product repair estimate and submit that to the insurance. After that it he received a cheque, and it was all quite painless.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1009 posts
68 upvotes
I have a buddy that bought a new leather jacket and it was stolen at the bar and visa credited him back the full amount. Also my bro bought new windows and he accidently broke one and they credited him.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10867 posts
2202 upvotes
Kingston
I just made my first claim. It was painless and successful. CC company was MBNA, extended warranty company was Mondial.

My hard drive died on my 14 month old desktop. I called and they sent me the forms. Filled them out and included:
  • Original invoice
  • My CC statement showing the charge.
  • Repair bill (or estimate)
  • Original warranty terms.
It took 7 weeks to process the claim. Not sure if they would have paid based on the estimate but I might check that out for future claims.

OP, thanks for starting this thread and specifying info on ACTUAL experiences. I get tired of people saying "they never pay" without reference to actual experiences.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
1509 posts
30 upvotes
First and foremost let me say before I state my experience I wish the credit card companies that do this would remind people about it.

Now for my experience. Just over 2 years ago I was taking pictures with my digital camera and upon examing the pictures through the camera I noticed something off. Now since at the time I was new to the world of digital photgrapher I was not sure if this situation was something to be concerned about or not and since I did not recall experience before I thought I had heard about credit card company warranties I was not sure if it was folklore or not.

Anyway so I contacted my credit card company to find out if it was real or not and if it was real what I had to do. So I was told it was real and I explained to them I thought I had a problem with my digital camera and it was just over year since purchase. The person told me that depending on the item and other stuff the warranty can be extended free of charge anywhere from one year to 5 on top of the warranty that came with the camera. They would send me a form and I was to fill it out and include a estimate of what it would cost to repair and if I could not get a eastimate a letter stating what was wrong with camera and why it could not be fixed. Now after sending the paperwork in things would be looked over and if approved I would either get a cheque for the cost I paid for the camera or the repair whatever was lower. So I went on the camera website to look for local places I could take my camera. I printed off the list and started to going around place to place. After I went to somewhere between 5 and 10 places and being told they do not service the camera anymore I contacted the camera company they informed me the only place that coulds help me was in the USA.

So I contacted the US location and they told me they could indeed help me out but I would need to pay for shipment for camera to them, pay for the cost of the estimate which depending on time and length of lookover might be above the standard estimate price and pay for camera to be sent back to me. Also since the warranty had expired they would not probably rush to get this done anytime soon. So I got back on the phone with by CC company and informed them what happenned plus since I was not working I could not even pay for the for what the US company told me. I asked if there was a alternative. THe person took my contact info and told me they would get back to me. A few days later I got contacted stated they would bend the rules and issue me a cheque for what I paid for the camera as long as I sent in a copy of the recipt for the camera.

So I did that and a few days after that I got a cheque. The best part of it was the replacement camera I got with the cheque was the next model from my origianl camera that just been released which besides having a higher MP, fixed some of the bugs/issues with mine and had new features. Also was alot cheaper then my original so with some of the money difference I was able to get better memory cards and some accessories for new camera.

Sorry for the long ramble but you did ask for experiences.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1063 posts
381 upvotes
I used the "assurance" portion of my Citibank Driver's Edge Platinum Mastercard when my wife's Zune got stolen from her car last summer.

They needed a police report ($32), copy of receipt and copy of statement with amount on it. I sent all three and they sent me a check for $150. Easy as pie, I was pretty happy.

I have also used the price assurance on a pair of Merrell shoes that went on sale a couple of weeks after I bought them. Sent in the AD as well as my original receipt and they sent me $20.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15930 posts
6116 upvotes
JWL wrote:
May 27th, 2010 1:14 pm
I just made my first claim. It was painless and successful. CC company was MBNA, extended warranty company was Mondial.

My hard drive died on my 14 month old desktop. I called and they sent me the forms. Filled them out and included:
  • Original invoice
It took 7 weeks to process the claim. Not sure if they would have paid based on the estimate but I might check that out for future claims.

OP, thanks for starting this thread and specifying info on ACTUAL experiences. I get tired of people saying "they never pay" without reference to actual experiences.
Out of curiousity, did you have to go to a computer store to get a "repair bill" to send them? And what kind of hassle was involved in that (Since I assume they'd want to charge you)?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5499 posts
403 upvotes
JWL wrote:
May 27th, 2010 1:14 pm

• Original invoice

+1. I bought my thinkpad with MBNA MC. The battery life has gone south shortly after 1.5 year. I followed the same procedure and they reimbursed my purchase within 6 weeks.

(I had to pay MBNA $2.50 to reprint the statement, the website only kept 1.5 year of stmt history)
Jan 7, 2006
423 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
Olympus honoured the warranty on my digital camera after the manufacturer's had expired but before the CC's "double" warranty. A phone call and a simple form submitted. Definitely worth it!
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2007
2358 posts
423 upvotes
Thornhill
I think this just shows that people who buy the extended warranties at FS/BB are getting ripped off. I love the credit cards extended warranties.