• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2018 12:50 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 19, 2015
195 posts
117 upvotes

Which Credit Cards business or personal Show pending transactions

Hopefully some of you guys with other credit cards can help me with this.

I have 2 business credit cards cibc. Aventura and Aerogold cards as we spend quite a bit per month. As a business owner with multiple charges coming out of these cards I can't tell what transactions have occurred immediately. Sometimes I'd just like to know to make sure we are spending correctly. The only way for me to find out is by calling cibc and spending time with them on phone.

Which credit card companies show pending transactions. Business and personal???

Thanks
41 replies
Aug 3, 2013
488 posts
289 upvotes
Durham
For personal, CapOne, MBNA, AMEX, RBC.
Jul 9, 2016
674 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
I don't have very many credit cards, but only my Walmart MasterCard doesn't show pending transactions. My capital one does right away online. My Scotia credit card I only get paper statements for with no online access so I can't say with them.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
Tangerine MC shows up transactions instantly and they remain as pending for a couple of days.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2015
1294 posts
1512 upvotes
While Scotiabank doesn't have exactly what you want, it can be setup so you get a text and/or email for every authorization on the card.
Nov 29, 2014
680 posts
83 upvotes
Pitt Meadows, BC
andrew4321 wrote: Tangerine MC shows up transactions instantly and they remain as pending for a couple of days.
AMEX is also right away (I think any AMEX).
I play the video games H2, WC3. I bank with low fee or no fee banks like Implicity. If you got questions ask.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
capital one aspire cash does show pending transaction.
Oct 19, 2015
195 posts
117 upvotes
Thanks guys
I'm guessing for the big 5. Scotia and RBC where I can obtain business as well as personal carda you can get transaction alert of some sort?

That helps a lot

Thank you
Nov 7, 2013
62 posts
17 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Anyone notice this feature has been removed from the (Capital One issued) HBC Mastercard since they redesigned their website?

CIBC Tim Hortons Visa - Currently does not show pending transactions
PC Financial World Elite Mastercard - Shows pending transactions instantly!
Tangerine Mastercard - Shows pending transactions instantly!
MBNA Platinum Plus Mastercard - Shows pending transactions instantly!

You'd think all of the big 5 banks would offer this feature by now, it's always misleading filling up at the pumps with a $200 pre-authorized charge eh
Oct 19, 2015
195 posts
117 upvotes
optikal wrote: Anyone notice this feature has been removed from the (Capital One issued) HBC Mastercard since they redesigned their website?

CIBC Tim Hortons Visa - Currently does not show pending transactions
PC Financial World Elite Mastercard - Shows pending transactions instantly!
Tangerine Mastercard - Shows pending transactions instantly!
MBNA Platinum Plus Mastercard - Shows pending transactions instantly!

You'd think all of the big 5 banks would offer this feature by now, it's always misleading filling up at the pumps with a $200 pre-authorized charge eh
Lol. Yes $200 gas pre auth . Now try 20 or more of those in a day sometimes.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
DennisK272337 wrote: Thanks guys
I'm guessing for the big 5. Scotia and RBC where I can obtain business as well as personal carda you can get transaction alert of some sort?

That helps a lot

Thank you
Amex will generally be your best bet. Their app is also fantastic. Alerts, pending transactions, touch ID integration... it really is a great card to have for busineses.
Oct 19, 2015
195 posts
117 upvotes
atomiton wrote: Amex will generally be your best bet. Their app is also fantastic. Alerts, pending transactions, touch ID integration... it really is a great card to have for busineses.
I'll definetly be considering amex on my next business year, since they provide travel points as well. Thanks
Oct 19, 2015
195 posts
117 upvotes
I just got approved for business RBC mastercard. I hope this one shows pending transactions like you guys are saying. If so I'll cut down use slowly of my CIBC Aventura and Aerogold for business. I'll keep you posted
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I can confirm (as above) that PCF and Tangerine show transactions immediately. Amazon seems to show them up a little late* and the interface is so horrible it's hard to keep track of things.

*Because most of my online shopping (at least in terms of value) is actually through Amazon, I use that card a lot. If I buy four items, I'll get four bills on my Amazon card, each of which helpfully just says "Amazon". By contrast, PCF is great for showing transaction details.
Oct 19, 2015
195 posts
117 upvotes
FoFai2015 wrote: I can confirm (as above) that PCF and Tangerine show transactions immediately. Amazon seems to show them up a little late* and the interface is so horrible it's hard to keep track of things.

*Because most of my online shopping (at least in terms of value) is actually through Amazon, I use that card a lot. If I buy four items, I'll get four bills on my Amazon card, each of which helpfully just says "Amazon". By contrast, PCF is great for showing transaction details.
So I'm assuming PCF and Tangerine show the details immediately when you log in including institution that is removing money? If so thats awesome. CIBC I'm kept in the dark for 2 or 3 business days although it shows less money available. BUt you can call in to CIBC everytime and find out who did it. Impossible for me to do with so many transactions.

Thanks BTW
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
Shows pending: Tangerine MC, Capital One MC, MBNA MC, Amex, Chase Visa (you have to click on "authorizations" as a separate step to see them but they are there).
I understand they show pending: Rogers MC, Fido MC
Does NOT show pending: CIBC

For bonus points, if you have Apple wallet app with your card hooked up to Apple Pay Amex shows you a notification for every charge as soon as it goes through - like seconds after you pay.
Tangerine is similar but it only shows you that for transactions made with your phone, not if you use the plastic card or pay online (Amex shows you for all).
CIBC is same as Tangerine - only shows charges made on the phone, so they definitely LOSE on all fronts since they don't show pending and don't show all charges on the app
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Dec 15, 2014
178 posts
106 upvotes
Brossard, QC
For my experience with credit cards, RBC does it pretty well. You can setup a large transaction warning I.e. At 200$ and above, I receive an email for the details of the transaction almost instantly after it happens. Pending transactions can be viewed online and on the phone app.

Also there was once I tried to make a big purchase and RBC called me about a minute after I press purchase to confirm it and after knowing it was me the transaction went through right away.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3352 posts
874 upvotes
Toronto
ace604 wrote: Shows pending: Tangerine MC, Capital One MC, MBNA MC, Amex, Chase Visa (you have to click on "authorizations" as a separate step to see them but they are there), Rogers MC, Fido MC
Does NOT show pending: CIBC, BMO, Scotiabank,
Added some to your post.
For bonus points, if you have Apple wallet app with your card hooked up to Apple Pay Amex shows you a notification for every charge as soon as it goes through - like seconds after you pay.
Tangerine is similar but it only shows you that for transactions made with your phone, not if you use the plastic card or pay online (Amex shows you for all).
CIBC is same as Tangerine - only shows charges made on the phone, so they definitely LOSE on all fronts since they don't show pending and don't show all charges on the app
I think all cards does this. My RBC and Scotiabank apple pay shows this recent transactions. Though, it's just 10 transactions?
Last edited by Troydabes on Aug 13th, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
Canadian Tire MasterCard shows pending authorizations in the mobile app only.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
Troydabes wrote: RBC
RBC does show pending authorizations.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*