• Jan 16th, 2018 12:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3923 upvotes
BC
Shows pending: Tangerine MC, Capital One MC, MBNA MC, Amex, Chase Visa (you have to click on "authorizations" as a separate step to see them but they are there).
I understand they show pending: Rogers MC, Fido MC
Does NOT show pending: CIBC

For bonus points, if you have Apple wallet app with your card hooked up to Apple Pay Amex shows you a notification for every charge as soon as it goes through - like seconds after you pay.
Tangerine is similar but it only shows you that for transactions made with your phone, not if you use the plastic card or pay online (Amex shows you for all).
CIBC is same as Tangerine - only shows charges made on the phone, so they definitely LOSE on all fronts since they don't show pending and don't show all charges on the app
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Dec 15, 2014
115 posts
31 upvotes
Westmount, QC
For my experience with credit cards, RBC does it pretty well. You can setup a large transaction warning I.e. At 200$ and above, I receive an email for the details of the transaction almost instantly after it happens. Pending transactions can be viewed online and on the phone app.

Also there was once I tried to make a big purchase and RBC called me about a minute after I press purchase to confirm it and after knowing it was me the transaction went through right away.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2838 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto
ace604 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 1:45 am
Shows pending: Tangerine MC, Capital One MC, MBNA MC, Amex, Chase Visa (you have to click on "authorizations" as a separate step to see them but they are there), Rogers MC, Fido MC
Does NOT show pending: CIBC, BMO, Scotiabank,
Added some to your post.
For bonus points, if you have Apple wallet app with your card hooked up to Apple Pay Amex shows you a notification for every charge as soon as it goes through - like seconds after you pay.
Tangerine is similar but it only shows you that for transactions made with your phone, not if you use the plastic card or pay online (Amex shows you for all).
CIBC is same as Tangerine - only shows charges made on the phone, so they definitely LOSE on all fronts since they don't show pending and don't show all charges on the app
I think all cards does this. My RBC and Scotiabank apple pay shows this recent transactions. Though, it's just 10 transactions?
Last edited by Troydabes on Aug 13th, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2079 posts
852 upvotes
Winnipeg
Canadian Tire MasterCard shows pending authorizations in the mobile app only.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2079 posts
852 upvotes
Winnipeg
Troydabes wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 10:12 am
RBC
RBC does show pending authorizations.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2838 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto
Shawguy wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 10:19 am
Troydabes wrote:
RBC
RBC does show pending authorizations.
lol. It has been a while since I last opened my RBC account. Thanks for the correction.
[OP]
Oct 19, 2015
183 posts
48 upvotes
I'll definitely get Amex next year. Everyone is saying good things about them
[OP]
Oct 19, 2015
183 posts
48 upvotes
As for RBC I'm looking forward to using it. Sucks cause cibc was very good to me. They are just behind .I got lots of Aventura points though.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3923 upvotes
BC
Troydabes wrote:
ace604 wrote:
Shows pending: Tangerine MC, Capital One MC, MBNA MC, Amex, Chase Visa (you have to click on "authorizations" as a separate step to see them but they are there), Rogers MC, Fido MC
Added some to your post.
I think all cards does this. My RBC and Scotiabank apple pay shows this recent transactions. Though, it's just 10 transactions?
For RBC and ScotiaBank cards, go to the card in Apple wallet app and click the small Info (i) circle button at the bottom right.

Under the list of transactions is a short blurb.

Amex card shows:
"For a full a full account history and final transaction amounts, check your American Express statement."

Tangerine and CIBC cards show:
"Transactions shown are purchases made with this iPhone. For a full account history and final transaction amounts, check your [bank name] statement."

What do RBC and Scotia show?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2838 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto
ace604 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 1:18 pm
Troydabes wrote:
ace604 wrote:
Added some to your post.
"Transactions shown are purchases made with this iPhone. For a full account history and final transaction amounts, check your [bank name] statement."

Same sentence for BMO, Scotiabank and RBC.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3886 posts
578 upvotes
Richmond
Troydabes wrote:
ace604 wrote:
Added some to your post.
You might want to change that to Scotia visa. Scotia mastercard does show pending transactions due to it still being on chase infrastructure. The chase cards show pending as approved. You need to select view approved transactions to view the pending transactions
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3923 upvotes
BC
Troydabes wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 1:40 pm
ace604 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 1:18 pm
Troydabes wrote:

Added some to your post.

Same sentence for BMO, Scotiabank and RBC.
Lame. So seems like big 5 and Tangerine aren't sending all transaction notifications to their app to share with the wallet. No data point yet for TD so maybe they are like Amex.

I really like the push notifications when I use the physical card of plbuu something online. I instantly know if the charge went through, or when an order finally got shipped if a place doesn't charge you til they ship.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2838 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto
bluebellrose wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 3:42 pm
Troydabes wrote:
ace604 wrote:
Added some to your post.
You might want to change that to Scotia visa. Scotia mastercard does show pending transactions due to it still being on chase infrastructure. The chase cards show pending as approved. You need to select view approved transactions to view the pending transactions
I'm actually using the SCENE visa on Scotiabank. I'm pretty okay with this card since I don't use it that often. I just charge $1 a month to keep it active.
Sep 25, 2004
779 posts
284 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
Does NOT show pending: CIBC, BMO, Scotiabank, TD Aeroplan/Green/Expedia Visa
Building on troydabes

ace604 mentions Chase Visa - thanks, I never took notice of the authorization box in the middle

Is the Amex recent transaction list new? I only noticed this in the past few weeks.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3923 upvotes
BC
joeags wrote:
Aug 14th, 2016 2:33 am
ace604 wrote:
Does NOT show pending: CIBC, BMO, Scotiabank, TD Aeroplan/Green/Expedia Visa
Building on troydabes

ace604 mentions Chase Visa - thanks, I never took notice of the authorization box in the middle

Is the Amex recent transaction list new? I only noticed this in the past few weeks.
It is new-ish for the Canadian site. Maybe a few months tops? They rolled out the more US-looking site which had it first.

The app has always had it though. Well, always for me - I started using the app Feb 2016.
For a couple months pending was in-app but not on the site. Now it's both.