Tags:
None
May 14, 2015
49 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Credit Cards which offers Airport lounge access

Hi all,
Are there any CC which offers access to airport lounges for free or for a discounted price? I am not looking at priority pass but just direct access. Thanks
34 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2564 posts
992 upvotes
Something wrong with Priority Pass? BMO World Elite has 4x complimentary PP I think, not the "35% discount + $27" that Scotia has.

TD Aeroplan Infinite has one entry pass on reward flight per year, and so does the CIBC business similar card (presumably the non business too, not sure), to a Maple lounge.

Amex Platinum has complimentary lounge access:

Through the Canadian Platinum Lounge Benefit5 enjoy complimentary lounge access across most major Canadian cities regardless of airline or fare booked. Or, when traveling with participating airlines in The Airport Club Program,6 enjoy complimentary airline club access across the US and Internationally. What's more, as a Platinum member, you have complimentary access to the American Express Lounge – a private lounge reserved for our most valued Cardmembers. The American Express Lounge is located at Gate B, Domestic departures at Toronto's Pearson Airport

Also, as a Platinum member you can receive Complimentary Membership in Priority PassTM – one of the world’s largest independent airport lounge programs.13 Escape the chaos of airports and relax in an oasis of calm in any one of the more than 600 Priority Pass lounges around the world. For complimentary entry, simply present your Priority Pass membership card (which you will receive after you enroll) and a ticket valid for travel on that day on any airline, regardless of class of service. If you’re travelling with a guest, he or she may accompany you free of charge. For each additional guest, a nominal fee of $27 USD per person per visit will be charged to your Platinum Card.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3586 posts
1993 upvotes
Whitehorse
Good question, I'd like to know, too, if there is more than Amex.

The BMO offer is a joke. I had 3 lounge visits just this week.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
sokolov wrote: Good question, I'd like to know, too, if there is more than Amex.

Why is it a joke?

If you travel a lot, you should be gold/elite member and have free lounge access, or can afford the $700 cards to give you lounge access. But for most people, the BMO offer is great.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1736 posts
776 upvotes
Calgary
sokolov wrote: Good question, I'd like to know, too, if there is more than Amex.

Considering a membership to Priority Pass (which doesn't get you into all the lounges - such as airline specific ones in the states) is $400/year. If your annual fee is less, stop complaining and get paying.
Indexer, non-yield chasing, low cost, broad based, as simple as possible investor.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
Some people want to have unlimited lounge accesses for free.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
wm009 wrote: Considering a membership to Priority Pass (which doesn't get you into all the lounges - such as airline specific ones in the states) is $400/year. If your annual fee is less, stop complaining and get paying.
Arrgh wrote: Why is it a joke?

If you travel a lot, you should be gold/elite member and have free lounge access, or can afford the $700 cards to give you lounge access. But for most people, the BMO offer is great.
Exactly and he sounds like the type of freeloader person they don't want in the lounge.

A joke? I don't call anything that is free, such as BMO's 4 free passes a joke. You want something for free yet you seem to have enough money to travel a lot. Pony up and pay for the lounge.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3586 posts
1993 upvotes
Whitehorse
eonibm wrote: A joke? I don't call anything that is free, such as BMO's 4 free passes a joke. You want something for free yet you seem to have enough money to travel a lot. Pony up and pay for the lounge.
I'm so sorry. I thought the card was marketed to people who travel a lot. My bad.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2009
1289 posts
255 upvotes
Montreal
sokolov wrote: I'm so sorry. I thought the card was marketed to people who travel a lot. My bad.
Yeah it is only a marketing thing. Get what you can but do not expect too much from free gifts.
Mar 3, 2015
699 posts
95 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
just be at airport 30 minutes before flight takes off and you wont need lounge to kill your time!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
sokolov wrote: I'm so sorry. I thought the card was marketed to people who travel a lot. My bad.
The BMO WE card offers 4 lounge visits. You call it a joke. The TD ae infinite visa only offers 1 lounge access for reward booking to the primary card holder. Still better than nothing. Many other premium travel cards don't offer any lounge access.

If you want more, pay for it, rather than whining about it.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2012
1121 posts
50 upvotes
Sudbury
Most of the amex platinum charge cards provide unlimited access to lounges.

Of course, you're paying for that perk.
Feb 2, 2007
207 posts
63 upvotes
Ottawa
The BMO WE card gives the cardholder priority pass membership so they can visit 1 lounge per day for 365 days if they choose.

The card ALSO gives you 4 guest passes per year
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
6054 posts
853 upvotes
Markham
ive never been to a lounge before...what exactly does these lounges have? do you go to them after you check in for your flight but before boarding?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3586 posts
1993 upvotes
Whitehorse
Arrgh wrote: The BMO WE card offers 4 lounge visits. You call it a joke. The TD ae infinite visa only offers 1 lounge access for reward booking to the primary card holder. Still better than nothing. Many other premium travel cards don't offer any lounge access.

If you want more, pay for it, rather than whining about it.
Don't worry. I'm not whining, I'm laughing. :-)
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3586 posts
1993 upvotes
Whitehorse
adeel wrote: ive never been to a lounge before...what exactly does these lounges have? do you go to them after you check in for your flight but before boarding?
Most lounges are airside, i.e. past security. What they offer varies widely. Some offer a small sticky room with over-used couches, a few dry cookies and beverages. Others offer a chef that comes to your table and asks you what you would like to eat and how they should prepare it. Most are somewhere inbetween. Almost all offer WiFi, Newspapers and some TV.

The lounges operated by North American airlines usually can not compete with those offered by airlines from other continents. The larger Air Canada lounges are a bit better than United's. The worst lounge I've ever been to was an American Airlines one. American Express has recently opened a small number of Centurion lounges in the US. These are very nice; they are free for holders of Platinum cards and above, and cost USD 50 for other Amex card holders. Since they come with free food, as in actual warm meals, I think that is a good deal, especially if you want to work in peace and quiet for a number of hours.

Some lounges offer free alcoholic beverages; some offer showers, which is my favourite treat.

Some airports have arrival lounges where you can hang out, shower, etc. after your arrive. However, many of those arrival lounges are limited to very high status and/or First Class passengers. Then again, in some airports you can enter a normal lounge even upon arrival (as long as you stay airside and meet the entry requirements).

It really depends.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
283 upvotes
Onterrible
supertronic wrote: just be at airport 30 minutes before flight takes off and you wont need lounge to kill your time!
You like to cut it close eh?
Check out my >>Blog<< to learn how to get CashBack from Shopping Online! (Almost EVERY online retailer)
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
adeel wrote: ive never been to a lounge before...what exactly does these lounges have? do you go to them after you check in for your flight but before boarding?
The main benefit is unlimited free food and drinks, including alcohol. The quality and variety of the food and drinks varies from lounge to lounge, but most have 2 or 3 brands of beer and a variety of your standard spirits. Some lounges have full-on hot meals made to order, others have simply snacks (chips and pretzels). They usually have espresso machines, juice, etc. Other common benefits include clean bathrooms, showers, free magazines, and big comfy chairs to relax in.

You go to a lounge in 3 situations

- You arrive early to your flight because the security line was shorter than expected or the flight is delayed
- You have a layover of a couple of hours on your connection - most common
- You have a long day of travel followed by a client meeting directly after landing - and need to be able to get changed, have a coffee, and freshen up before the meeting.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings