• Jul 22nd, 2018 9:29 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2638 posts
753 upvotes
Montreal

Credit check for opening another Fido line

So I'm already a Fido customer with one line.

I asked to open another, and was told there'be a credit check.

Is this normal?
Can't they just base the decision on the account's good standing?
Is it a soft/hard check?
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2575 posts
973 upvotes
Everywhere
It's seems unusual to do a credit check if you are already a customer. Normal if you are a new customer. Maybe they do it for every new line.
Nov 9, 2016
127 posts
57 upvotes
marc_t wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 11:09 pm
So I'm already a Fido customer with one line.

I asked to open another, and was told there'be a credit check.

Is this normal?
Can't they just base the decision on the account's good standing?
Is it a soft/hard check?
Hopefully this helps you if you didn't get the answer already. We did this at Virgin Mobile while I was working there, regular procedure. We were unable to go through with a new activation without checking the credit.

It's a soft credit check that's done and I believe that it's done even if you have been a long standing customer to validate if your credit is in good standing to apply another line and more credit onto your account. While yes the existing plan is connected to your credit they aren't constantly checking your credit so they don't know what your credit standing is like, if it has changed since you initially got the first line. So to add another line they do a credit check to see if your credit is in good standing to hold another line.

If you got a phone and then your credit went to the dumps 3 months later, Fido would never know that but when you get a new line they do a check to make sure your able to sustain having another line on your account based on your credit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2638 posts
753 upvotes
Montreal
Most helpful, thank you
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Apr 14, 2017
84 posts
116 upvotes
That is a normal practice, yes. It's really simple that if you have the axcount for less then 3 months & adding a line, then it would be a hard check. Over 3 months would have internal checks
therealbry wrote:
Jul 21st, 2018 10:18 am
Hopefully this helps you if you didn't get the answer already. We did this at Virgin Mobile while I was working there, regular procedure. We were unable to go through with a new activation without checking the credit.

It's a soft credit check that's done and I believe that it's done even if you have been a long standing customer to validate if your credit is in good standing to apply another line and more credit onto your account. While yes the existing plan is connected to your credit they aren't constantly checking your credit so they don't know what your credit standing is like, if it has changed since you initially got the first line. So to add another line they do a credit check to see if your credit is in good standing to hold another line.

If you got a phone and then your credit went to the dumps 3 months later, Fido would never know that but when you get a new line they do a check to make sure your able to sustain having another line on your account based on your credit.
Dec 4, 2017
276 posts
84 upvotes
When I was getting a Fido 3GB tablet plan (and opening a new Fido account to do it), I was already considering adding new lines of this type to the account soon, and asked about this. The clerk explained that I could add lines within 90 days and there would not be a check. However, after that, there would be one.

This makes sense w.r.t. the earlier responses here. The initial credit check is stale.