Credit karma score and system

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2018 1:21 pm
[OP]
May 17, 2018
53 posts
11 upvotes

Credit karma score and system

As part of checking my reports regularly, I had a massive 86pt drop this week. However, literally nothing has changed since last week

My CC's hadn't reported yet, I do have collections which are all super old and not new, so this can't be the cause

No inquiries, that weren't on CK last week

So my question is, did anyone else notice any large fluctuations this week? Did the formula change?

Keep the bashing to a minimum people.

Cheers!
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7466 posts
4331 upvotes
Edmonton
prxprx wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 11:15 am
As part of checking my reports regularly, I had a massive 86pt drop this week. However, literally nothing has changed since last week

My CC's hadn't reported yet, I do have collections which are all super old and not new, so this can't be the cause

So my question is, did anyone else notice any large fluctuations this week? Did the formula change?

Cheers!
Credit Karma doesn't have a "formula". They just report whatever Transunion reports. But as you asked, my score hasn't changed over the past month. In my experience, Transunion is particularly sensitive to utilization, so I'd start by figuring out your utilization based on the numbers they currently have in the report section.

You can also check Borrowell (for Equifax).

C
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2825 posts
1840 upvotes
Oakville, ON
prxprx wrote:

Cheers!
Something changed. Data can change every day. Look more closely. An amount reported higher maybe? That would affect utilization. But definitely some data point was updated.
[OP]
May 17, 2018
53 posts
11 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 4:10 pm
Something changed. Data can change every day. Look more closely. An amount reported higher maybe? That would affect utilization. But definitely some data point was updated.

Yeah I'm aware of all that, literally the only thing changed since last week was A collection updated their balance as they often do, but it's never changed my score. We're talking an increase of less than $10 in interests. No dates changed
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2591 posts
1511 upvotes
The NORTH
side topic, whats the point of checking it weekly? Is that info so critical outside loan applications that it needs special weekly attention? I review my portoflio holdings weekly, adjust budget catigories weekly but my credit score? I do that monthly to quarterly.

Am I missing something?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2825 posts
1840 upvotes
Oakville, ON
prxprx wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 6:34 pm
Yeah I'm aware of all that, literally the only thing changed since last week was A collection updated their balance as they often do, but it's never changed my score. We're talking an increase of less than $10 in interests. No dates changed
Sounds like even though it was only $10 it may have crossed into a tiered amount that may have affected the score? Or, it just became a month older and the higher aging of a collection account with a balance increase may be the issue. Or it could be both factors.

They may seem like small issues, and not as obvious as a new account or a new inquiry, but they do have an impact. Did anything else change? Something like a monthly counter increase?
[OP]
May 17, 2018
53 posts
11 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 7:05 pm
Sounds like even though it was only $10 it may have crossed into a tiered amount that may have affected the score? Or, it just became a month older and the higher aging of a collection account with a balance increase may be the issue. Or it could be both factors.

They may seem like small issues, and not as obvious as a new account or a new inquiry, but they do have an impact. Did anything else change? Something like a monthly counter increase?

All good points, I'm not aware or ever heard of the tiered thought, however, it hasn't crossed into a new $100 or $1000 mark so I doubt it's that

As for the question above, I was monitoring inquires as I've applied for financing on a car, and was wondering how many apps they put out. There has been no changes since my update last week

Wondering if it's just an error on CK site

Will find out next week I guess

No balances changed on revolving credits, no new negatives or inquiries
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7466 posts
4331 upvotes
Edmonton
prxprx wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 6:34 pm
You have an unpaid collections account? Maybe as it gets older it’s impacting your score?

C
[OP]
May 17, 2018
53 posts
11 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 8:45 pm
You have an unpaid collections account? Maybe as it gets older it’s impacting your score?

C

I do, however it gaining strength to affect my score doesn't make sense in the big picture.

It's 5.5 years old (give or take) so it'll fall off next year

If collections accounts changed value based on age I'd be very surprised as it's not documented anywhere

I will see next week if maybe my score rebounds as I'm leaning more and more towards just a glitch
[OP]
May 17, 2018
53 posts
11 upvotes
kr0zet wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 6:43 pm
side topic, whats the point of checking it weekly? Is that info so critical outside loan applications that it needs special weekly attention? I review my portoflio holdings weekly, adjust budget catigories weekly but my credit score? I do that monthly to quarterly.

Am I missing something?
I made poor choices years back and I am still recovering credit wise. Paid some, a couple wouldn't work with me, so they're stuck like me waiting it out.

I'm constantly learning about scoring and statement dates etc as I actually give a crap now.

Also I was the victim of fraud a few times and like to keep a look out at my profiles

So that's why I'm checking weekly
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1755 posts
702 upvotes
Kitchener
prxprx wrote:

Cheers!
It might be a glitch -- and should be back to normal next month if it is a glitch. I had a 120 point drop (nearly died) and only difference was utilization dropper from 30% to 29%, which should have improved my score. I had received an email from Equifax regarding the massive drop. A couple weeks later, Equifax sent me another email regarding a massive increase to my score. I check it out, and I'm up 122 points.

Borrowell glitched too, but only because Equifax accidentally took the credit check as hard and not soft from Borrowell.

Same issue with Capital One - they use Transunion- one month, dropped a good 25 points, no rhyme or reason. Follow week, up 25 points.

If truly nothing has changed on your side, just give it until next month...
Well, I am not a crook.
Jan 2, 2009
189 posts
58 upvotes
I think utilization does play a part as someone else mentioned. I was hovering around 835 for awhile, paid 2k to my MBNA CC (BT promo) went to 842, then paid another 2k went to 844 in the past month. Then I paid 10k off to my heloc and jumped to 865. I have seen it drop like 20 or 30 points in the past as well with no changes in my CC history as far as I knew.
I do check it often, but its usually when I'm at work during down time.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1441 posts
742 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
It may also have nothing to do with utilization. My own score this past summer showed "No Score", however the information presented was factual and recent. At that time I thought temporary glitch, servers down, etc. This past month I was told by one of my credit card suppliers that there was a freeze on my account and I could do no more purchases until I cleared this up. Again, checked the file, same as in the summer, however there was indication of an employer I never worked for as well as an address I never lived at.

Now going to Transunion directly was a bit of a hassle, when they asked the "security" questions they sometimes presented answers that did not apply to me. In those cases you are sort of stuck in a loop, have to exit and sign up again. Once you are able to answer the questions you are granted access. In the full file it turned out there were 1/2 dozen addresses and telephone numbers not belonging to me. Submitted a dispute, without documentation that they asked for (unable to prove a negative), they responded within 3 days having removed all the addresses and telephone numbers and this time giving you all the credit applications over the years (since 1975). Again, review the information and found additional information not belonging to me, one being a credit card that most likely belonged to my mother, showing deceased in 2014, same year my mother died. A few other credit applications and approvals were found from over the years, again not mine so another dispute filed. I am still awaiting that result, but I am sure it will take longer.

TLDR: Check with Transunion directly, access the full report, check the history, addresses, telephone numbers, employers, etc fully
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Sep 6, 2018
42 posts
36 upvotes
I check my TU score 6 times a month (Creditkarma and Scotia/RBC CreditViews,) and I check Equifax twice monthly (Borrowell and Mogo.) Can confirm that I've seen score increases in the past by making greater than required payments on Revolving and Installment accounts. I've also seen score increases from nothing but time, and decreases in score (albeit not huge drops) seemingly at random with no other changes on any reported accounts. I watch them for fun as a hobby and I'm using a spreadsheet to correlate with my actions as I service my debt so I can enjoy the feels. :)

Also agreed @ requesting your full disclosure from time to time and reviewing absolutely everything for accuracy.
Last edited by aweawea on Dec 5th, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23759 posts
10176 upvotes
Ottawa
Score rises and increases weekly?
I've been monitoring my credit scores before free reports where offered by 3rd parties and never see the score updated weekly.