• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2018 1:21 pm
Sep 6, 2018
42 posts
37 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 8:29 am
Score rises and increases weekly?
I've been monitoring my credit scores before free reports where offered by 3rd parties and never see the score updated weekly.
Nono, often times I have the same score for 1-4 weeks at a time. I have also seen 4 different TransUnion scores in one month! I just like to get the updated balances and score as often as I'm allowed through the various outlets because it's fun for me.

Protip: If you are interested in seeing your long-term credit score pattern, do not trust any of the online score services (Creditkarma included) to store your score history indefinitely. Seems most/all of them have a cut-off for the length of score history they will display for you.
Last edited by aweawea on Dec 5th, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1755 posts
702 upvotes
Kitchener
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 8:29 am
Score rises and increases weekly?
I've been monitoring my credit scores before free reports where offered by 3rd parties and never see the score updated weekly.
You need a paid service (Equifax or Transunion) to see daily/weekly increases/decreases.
Well, I am not a crook.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23784 posts
10218 upvotes
Ottawa
jeff1970 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 9:25 am
You need a paid service (Equifax or Transunion) to see daily/weekly increases/decreases.
I had Equifax Premier for 5 years straight (two years free from the HD breach) and never saw weekly increases.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2831 posts
1848 upvotes
Oakville, ON
prxprx wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 9:41 pm
I do, however it gaining strength to affect my score doesn't make sense in the big picture.

It's 5.5 years old (give or take) so it'll fall off next year

If collections accounts changed value based on age I'd be very surprised as it's not documented anywhere

I will see next week if maybe my score rebounds as I'm leaning more and more towards just a glitch
The collection thought was just a wild guess as I obviously cannot see the two reports side by side to compare myself and you’ve been insisting no other data changed.

Keep in mind that whatever is documented is just superficial and generic explanations for how things work. An analogy would be how you can describe the taste of Coke or KFC but since their recipes are secret you cannot really know everything that’s going on.

Only in this case it’s PHD level mathematics and data modelling being explained to the masses without also giving away trade secrets.

So even with a couple of closely spaced checks there can be data that changes. Even if you don’t notice a new account, a query, or a balance change there’s still the passage of time and an account may have aged another month affecting the score all else being equal.

And it may not make sense that a $10 change on a collection balance would affect a score drastically just think of it purely as a bad piece of data got a little more bad and so the score went down. The model probably doesn’t care whether the change was a collection got $10 higher, $100 higher, or $1,000 higher - the model just cares that it got higher and you got penalized accordingly.

And because nothing else positive changed you took a hit. If something else positive had also changed it may have gone down less or even gone up if the positive change was modelled to have a bigger impact than the negative change.

Clarification — you said the collection balance went up by $10, did the Date of Last Actuvity also change? If so that may be a contributing factor as well.
[OP]
May 17, 2018
53 posts
11 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 10:59 am
The collection thought was just a wild guess as I obviously cannot see the two reports side by side to compare myself and you’ve been insisting no other data changed.

Keep in mind that whatever is documented is just superficial and generic explanations for how things work. An analogy would be how you can describe the taste of Coke or KFC but since their recipes are secret you cannot really know everything that’s going on.

Only in this case it’s PHD level mathematics and data modelling being explained to the masses without also giving away trade secrets.

So even with a couple of closely spaced checks there can be data that changes. Even if you don’t notice a new account, a query, or a balance change there’s still the passage of time and an account may have aged another month affecting the score all else being equal.

And it may not make sense that a $10 change on a collection balance would affect a score drastically just think of it purely as a bad piece of data got a little more bad and so the score went down. The model probably doesn’t care whether the change was a collection got $10 higher, $100 higher, or $1,000 higher - the model just cares that it got higher and you got penalized accordingly.

And because nothing else positive changed you took a hit. If something else positive had also changed it may have gone down less or even gone up if the positive change was modelled to have a bigger impact than the negative change.

Clarification — you said the collection balance went up by $10, did the Date of Last Actuvity also change? If so that may be a contributing factor as well.

I can't remember the exact amount it was last week. But the "last updated" changed not last activity. This is updated monthly or every few months by collection agencies as interest accumulates over time. And I've never had it affect the score

I got new personal loans, no new reported payments, no new balances, and no new inquiries.

I have to dig up and old report to see if something fell off maybe? Lower average age of accounts perhaps

But if it was a positive account it should have stayed with transunion where as an old account that was derogatory would fall off and be positive
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2831 posts
1848 upvotes
Oakville, ON
TransUnion keeps more information for a longer time than Equifax does, however, we don’t know if the older data used actually used in their scores.

My sense is that they use their old data to help with creating their models, but that the models only look at recent data as inputs to calculate the score.

Or it might be that it includes some old data and excludes other pieces of old data when calculating a current score.

The point I’m trying to make is that for the score to change there must have been one or more data points that changed and that it could be a small data point that changed that doesn’t seem like an obvious factor.
Oct 27, 2014
435 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I had a sudden drop of 20 points this week. My score has been flat for about half a year, and nothing changed on my end. I think CK or transunion may have changed something on their end.