Crest Pro-Health changed their medicinal ingredients

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2017 10:57 am
[OP]
Feb 27, 2014
289 posts
46 upvotes

Crest Pro-Health changed their medicinal ingredients

Previously, Crest Pro-Health toothpaste has Sodium Hexametaphosphate as one of their medicinal ingredients. The new Crest Pro-Health toothpaste now has Zinc Citrate instead of Sodium Hexametaphosphate. Unclear if the change to Zinc Citrate will improve or degrade the anti-bacterial effectiveness of Crest Pro-Health toothpaste.

6 replies
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10085 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
I used to use crest pro health for sensitive teeth. Couldnt stand it. Then switched to Sensodyne Repair and Protect. Havent looked back since.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
[OP]
Feb 27, 2014
289 posts
46 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 8:38 am
I used to use crest pro health for sensitive teeth. Couldnt stand it. Then switched to Sensodyne Repair and Protect. Havent looked back since.
Sensodyne Repair and Protect is specially formulated for sensitive teeth. This version does not lists gingivitis prevention but is effective for sensitive teeth.
Jan 22, 2008
474 posts
26 upvotes
It's only one source but ...
https://www.isitbadforyou.com/questions ... ad-for-you

haven't looked into it in detail but my intuitive response is that the Zinc Citrate is probably safer in the long run.

P&G claimed the Sodium Hex was for users with a need for enhanced Tartar control. That Flouride concentration is more than enough for anti-bacterial action (probably overkill) the frequency and physical thoroughness of the brushing probably has more impact on microbe control and build up than either additive.

In other applications the chemical is used as a perservative or emulsifier.
Aug 15, 2017
40 posts
6 upvotes
I'm suspicious of anything antibacterial. The more we learn, the more we realize that eradicating microbes is far from the answer. Their are many oral bacteria that are protective.

Just use simple el-cheapo toothpaste. Granted, if you have sensitive teeth, that's a different story...
[OP]
Feb 27, 2014
289 posts
46 upvotes
I finally tried the new Crest Pro-Health toothpaste with Zinc Citrate. Leaving the medicinal ingredients aside, the difference between the old and the new Crest Pro-Health is the removal of microbeads in the toothpaste. The feel in the new Crest Pro-Health is very different, it feels like having cake/pastry icing in the mouth. Not used to it, will return to Colgate Total or switch to Sensodyne. I've used Colgate Total before, which has triclosan as the medicinal ingredient, it didn't have microbeads and it doesn't have that icing feel/texture in the mouth.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6835 posts
729 upvotes
Toronto
I stopped using pro health for a bit so I could use up stocks of crest complete i had.
I recently bought some pro health and canker sores started appearing.
Used sensodyne repair and the canker sores be gone now.
I'm gradually getting back into the pro health as it has polishing and cleaning benefits the sensodyne does not.
So far so good. Probably had to get accustomed to that new ingredient.
Colgate tartar control is another toothpaste that causes mad canker sores for me.