Crest Pro-Health changed their medicinal ingredients

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2017 5:17 pm
[OP]
Feb 27, 2014
257 posts
29 upvotes

Crest Pro-Health changed their medicinal ingredients

Previously, Crest Pro-Health toothpaste has Sodium Hexametaphosphate as one of their medicinal ingredients. The new Crest Pro-Health toothpaste now has Zinc Citrate instead of Sodium Hexametaphosphate. Unclear if the change to Zinc Citrate will improve or degrade the anti-bacterial effectiveness of Crest Pro-Health toothpaste.

4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9883 posts
877 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
I used to use crest pro health for sensitive teeth. Couldnt stand it. Then switched to Sensodyne Repair and Protect. Havent looked back since.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
[OP]
Feb 27, 2014
257 posts
29 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 8:38 am
I used to use crest pro health for sensitive teeth. Couldnt stand it. Then switched to Sensodyne Repair and Protect. Havent looked back since.
Sensodyne Repair and Protect is specially formulated for sensitive teeth. This version does not lists gingivitis prevention but is effective for sensitive teeth.
Jan 22, 2008
474 posts
25 upvotes
It's only one source but ...
https://www.isitbadforyou.com/questions ... ad-for-you

haven't looked into it in detail but my intuitive response is that the Zinc Citrate is probably safer in the long run.

P&G claimed the Sodium Hex was for users with a need for enhanced Tartar control. That Flouride concentration is more than enough for anti-bacterial action (probably overkill) the frequency and physical thoroughness of the brushing probably has more impact on microbe control and build up than either additive.

In other applications the chemical is used as a perservative or emulsifier.
Aug 15, 2017
38 posts
6 upvotes
I'm suspicious of anything antibacterial. The more we learn, the more we realize that eradicating microbes is far from the answer. Their are many oral bacteria that are protective.

Just use simple el-cheapo toothpaste. Granted, if you have sensitive teeth, that's a different story...