Careers

Criminology degree undergraduates - What did you guys end up doing?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2006 12:52 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 7, 2004
94 posts

Criminology degree undergraduates - What did you guys end up doing?

Yes, I'm in the same boat as other people. What did you guys end up doing with your degree? I know people say pay isn't everything, but it is A LOT, so what kind of money are you making now? I'm scared ahhh. lol. Thanks for your input.
7 replies
Jan 18, 2005
408 posts
83 upvotes
canuke wrote:Yes, I'm in the same boat as other people. What did you guys end up doing with your degree? I know people say pay isn't everything, but it is A LOT, so what kind of money are you making now? I'm scared ahhh. lol. Thanks for your input.
Computer systems administrator.

The criminology degree was fun to do, but in my 3rd year, after seeing the job possibilities, I knew I wasn't going to be working in the field. Would be cool to use my degree sometime in the future though.
Oct 7, 2004
94 posts
what about law undergraduate degree? would i be in the same boat, or better boat? thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
I have a BA in Sociology (criminology - deviance and youth crime) and a post-grad diploma in application design. I am currently working in a big-4 accounting firm doing systems audits and SOX compliance consulting. Graduated with the BA in 99 and the post-grad after a year overseas, in 02. Currently at about 80k with an average increase of about 10-15k annually (twice that when promoted). No complaints here, but my situation is far from the norm.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
canuke wrote:what about law undergraduate degree? would i be in the same boat, or better boat? thanks

Is there such thing as a law undergrad? I know there are law "diploma" programs, but law school is not undergrad. Most universities have pre-law courses, but they do not require admittance to the faculty of law, nor do they require the LSAT.
May 20, 2005
299 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond
TotallyKiller wrote:Is there such thing as a law undergrad? I know there are law "diploma" programs, but law school is not undergrad. Most universities have pre-law courses, but they do not require admittance to the faculty of law, nor do they require the LSAT.

law undergrad would be LLB (Bachelor of Law)
law masters would be LLM (Masters of Law)

the good thing about getting an LLB is that u've got a "workable" degree after getting your bachelor's...u don't have to do an LLM before you can practice law

for a Crim grad, one of the best jobs out there are probably government-related
eg. policy, research, and working with some specific government agencies (eg. CSIS, CBSA)

and as mentioned before, law and enforcement is another big area
Oct 7, 2004
94 posts
TotallyKiller wrote:Is there such thing as a law undergrad? I know there are law "diploma" programs, but law school is not undergrad. Most universities have pre-law courses, but they do not require admittance to the faculty of law, nor do they require the LSAT.

no there is an undergrad law BA degree. it's available at Carleton.