Food & Drink

Crispy onions discontinued at Costco - help!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2018 12:47 am
Feb 24, 2010
50 posts
1 upvote
Woodbridge
shutterbug wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 2:14 pm
Fully restocked in Etobicoke.
Astonished Face How did I miss this? Will have to go tomorrow and check it out.

I was going to post letting people know the small bags in Sobeys are .50 cents off this week.
May 23, 2011
48 posts
11 upvotes
St Catharines
That's a beautiful picture.....
Oct 19, 2012
1 posts
Just bought some at the Brampton Costco. They were handing out samples of them..they had a lot there.
Feb 24, 2010
50 posts
1 upvote
Woodbridge
Looks like we're back to a crispy onion shortage, haven't seen them lately in any Costco.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1887 posts
634 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
kool1 wrote:
May 24th, 2017 9:55 am
For years Costco has sold big red bags of crispy onions. They recently discontinued and the grocery stores charge an arm and a leg for small packages. We love these and use them of many different things.

Anyone know of an alternative to Costco or another place that sells these bags? THX
They're still out there, out west at least. Bought a bag at Costco a month ago and saw them there the other day.
Diversity is Our Burden
Jul 14, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
tho I always feel a bit iffy bout the food items at the dollarama, i did see a container being sold there.
think it was like 2 bucks or something
Feb 24, 2010
50 posts
1 upvote
Woodbridge
Jenny1975 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 6:38 pm
Picked some up at Superstore yesterday. They also had jalapeno version
https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/F ... 1081115_EA
Those are the French's ones, they are pretty terrible in comparison to the Fresh Gourmet ones! You can buy smaller packs at Sobeys but the price difference is crazy
Last edited by ninian on Nov 11th, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 24, 2010
50 posts
1 upvote
Woodbridge
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 11:26 pm
Dollarama and Ikea has these.
Ikea?! Not the French's ones, right? The good ones from Costco are "Fresh Gourmet"
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1152 posts
390 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
If you want to try something different, east indian cuisine (and also south-east asian ones) used deep-fried onions and shallots. I know Loblaw's outlets may carry these. I bought a packet under the Loblaw's Suraj brand when they discontinued them at my local RCSS (which has very little in the way of ethnic products).

https://www.loblaws.ca/Food/Pantry/Herb ... 0101586_EA
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Nov 13, 2018
1 posts
I’m in the same boat,
and worse is French’s might have bought out Fresh Gourmet because now my local costco in Ontario is selling the same large bag of crispy onions and crispy jalapeños made by French’s.
They are nowhere near as good, the batter is very greasy tasting and bland. The onion barely tastes of onion at all. So terrible and I’m so disappointed
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16653 posts
1534 upvotes
Space for rent
God Jesus Christ it's the easiest thing to make. Onions are naturally sweet. All you do is cut up some onions and fry it in oil at a low temp.

Done!