14 posts
14 upvotes

The Criterion Collection - 50% instock Blu-Rays and DVDs

Deal Link:
Savings:
50%
Expiry:
February 14, 2018
The Criterion collection is having a flash sale! 50% off all in-stock Blu-Rays and DVDs until February 14th, 12pm EST, with the following code : GOLD

https://www.criterion.com/

Cheers!
13 replies
Nov 23, 2017
9 posts
5 upvotes
The shipping fee always somewhat killed these Criterion deals for me.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2017
14 posts
14 upvotes
revivaljester wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:34 pm
The shipping fee always somewhat killed these Criterion deals for me.
Yeah, can't argue with that. Though it is better when you are buying multiple copies at this sort of discount. I wouldn't buy it reg price, here or on Amazon. I've also not had to pay duties in the past two years. YMMV.
Nov 29, 2011
359 posts
239 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Formidable514 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:56 pm
Yeah, can't argue with that. Though it is better when you are buying multiple copies at this sort of discount. I wouldn't buy it reg price, here or on Amazon. I've also not had to pay duties in the past two years. YMMV.
can i ask what you do to avoid paying duties? i always seem to get hit :\
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
15959 posts
12548 upvotes
Toronto
Reminder - TPL card holders can stream 350+ Criterion movies free

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/det ... &R=EDB0191
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
[OP]
Nov 23, 2017
14 posts
14 upvotes
gotglint wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 5:10 am
can i ask what you do to avoid paying duties? i always seem to get hit :\
I wish I knew what it was, I haven't paid duties for the past 2-3 years. I know there are many others that haven't either. Seems like it's luck of the draw tbh.
Sep 5, 2008
360 posts
193 upvotes
Port Moody
I used to have almost the entire Criterion DVD set about 10 years ago... 130 DVD's. I managed to watch them all and sell for what I paid (or more... since I bought from US at great prices and they were like $50-70 in Canada each). Plus, many rare ones like John Woo's Hard Boiled, The Killer and some french Truffaut films like 400 Blows. I really got into all the Kurosawa samurai films. So great. I think I sold my collection for around $10,000 combined. That's a crazy amount in a format that was about to decline rapidly. Glad I got my money back out of it!

Anyhow, I highly recommend the Kurosawa films... in particular Seven Samurai. I do NOT recommend Salo, 120 days of Sodom. I'll never unscar that part of my consciousness! BTW, that DVD was selling for upwards of $1500 at the time since it was banned. I had a french format version of the film out of curiousity. Not sure I actually got through the whole thing... just trying to appreciate if it was art or what (still conflicted about that).
Nov 8, 2016
177 posts
121 upvotes
jerschwab wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:04 pm
I used to have almost the entire Criterion DVD set about 10 years ago... 130 DVD's. I managed to watch them all and sell for what I paid (or more... since I bought from US at great prices and they were like $50-70 in Canada each). Plus, many rare ones like John Woo's Hard Boiled, The Killer and some french Truffaut films like 400 Blows. I really got into all the Kurosawa samurai films. So great. I think I sold my collection for around $10,000 combined. That's a crazy amount in a format that was about to decline rapidly. Glad I got my money back out of it!

Anyhow, I highly recommend the Kurosawa films... in particular Seven Samurai. I do NOT recommend Salo, 120 days of Sodom. I'll never unscar that part of my consciousness! BTW, that DVD was selling for upwards of $1500 at the time since it was banned. I had a french format version of the film out of curiousity. Not sure I actually got through the whole thing... just trying to appreciate if it was art or what (still conflicted about that).
Seven Samurai is on backorder unfortunately :( Great film.

Was going to pull the trigger on Ikiru - it sounds positively compelling - but the price of shipping made it less easy to stomach.

FYI all, shipping is 9.95 first item + 2.95 per additional item
Sep 5, 2008
360 posts
193 upvotes
Port Moody
barriecuda wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:39 pm
Seven Samurai is on backorder unfortunately :( Great film.

Was going to pull the trigger on Ikiru - it sounds positively compelling - but the price of shipping made it less easy to stomach.

FYI all, shipping is 9.95 first item + 2.95 per additional item
Ikiru is a great great film... as well, Rashomon, High and Low, Ran, Dreams, Kagemusha, etc. etc. Basically all of them.
Nov 29, 2011
359 posts
239 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Formidable514 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:38 pm
I wish I knew what it was, I haven't paid duties for the past 2-3 years. I know there are many others that haven't either. Seems like it's luck of the draw tbh.
were your orders under $100?
Nov 29, 2011
359 posts
239 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
jerschwab wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:04 pm

that's amazing. i'd love to have the whole collection but i doubt that will ever happen

to teach their own -- i love Salo.
lol. very glad it was finally re-relased after like 15-20 years of being out of print.
Jul 8, 2012
737 posts
134 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Used to buy DVDs quite regularly and started to replace them with blu-rays but stopped the past 5 yrs as other hobby/addiction took over. I really need that Silence of the Lambs Criterion (on my top 10 all-time) but only see Amazon at $41.15, C&L at $45.35, and WoWHD at $49.93 which is just too much. Best Buy/Walmart/Sunrise/iNetVideo don't have it. Any other suggestions? Damn, see it for $24.96 at amazon.com.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1494 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
I picked up the Silence of the Lambs and the Guillermo del Torro 3 movie package. Surprisingly, they were able to send it to my US CBP address.